Tetraglot
BelgiumRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5264 days ago

286 posts - 390 votes 
Speaks: French, English*, Dutch, Flemish
Studies: Lowland Scots, Japanese, German

Message 9 of 13
08 December 2009 at 12:27am | IP Logged 
A lot of these words and more can be found in Jamieson's Scottish Dictionary, available on Archives.org
http://www.archive.org/details/JamiesonScottishDictionary

There is also an influence of Norse on Gaelic. There was an Icelandic speaker on a Scottish Gaelic course with me and he kept on remarking on the many similarities between animal and topographical vocabulary.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Marikki
Tetraglot
Finland
Joined 5290 days ago

130 posts - 210 votes 
Speaks: Finnish*, English, Spanish, Swedish
Studies: German

Message 10 of 13
14 December 2009 at 5:36pm | IP Logged 
Jimmymac wrote:

howk 'dig'
hacky 'dirty'

'Howk' sounds remotely like 'hacka' ( 'to dig with a hoe' ) to me. According to Encyclopedia Britannica Online a hoe is "one of the oldest tools of agriculture, a digging implement consisting of a blade set at right angles to a long handle".

Maybe doing 'hacka' a lot makes people 'hacky'?       

Edited by Marikki on 14 December 2009 at 6:12pm

1 person has voted this message useful

quetzacoatl
Diglot
United Kingdom
Joined 5491 days ago

9 posts - 9 votes
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: Russian, Japanese

Message 11 of 13
09 January 2010 at 4:03pm | IP Logged 
I know this is an old thread but....
I always figured us more Celtic and Old English than Scandinavian apart from in a few words.
I'm pretty sure in a program I watched "The Face of Britain" they found very little influence from Scandinavia in our Gene Pool compared to say Yorkshire.

TixhiiDon
Tetraglot
Japan
Joined 5259 days ago

772 posts - 1474 votes 
Speaks: English*, Japanese, German, Russian
Studies: Georgian

Message 12 of 13
09 January 2010 at 9:18pm | IP Logged 
I'm a Geordie too, and I've always wondered where "canny" got its meaning from. In standard English it means "crafty" or "cunning", but in the North East we use it to mean "cute", "nice", "friendly", or simply "good". As far as I know, it doesn't have this meaning anywhere else.

Any ideas?

montmorency
Diglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4623 days ago

2371 posts - 3676 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Danish, Welsh

Message 13 of 13
19 September 2011 at 2:12pm | IP Logged 
The first time I overheard a group of Norwegians talking excitedly to each other (it was after the last-ever(?) London concert of the Norwegian band "a-ha", they sounded to me exactly like a bunch of Geordies. It took me a while to realise they were not speaking Geordie, but a Scandinavian language, and I put two and two together.

We later went to Oslo, for the last-but-one Oslo concert (tickets for the last one had sold out before we could order them). This was my first visit to Norway. The "Geordie effect" was less apparent, but still there to some extent.

This discussion contains 13 messages over 2 pages: << Prev 1

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version