Tetraglot
Finland
Joined 4359 days ago

298 posts - 470 votes 
Speaks: Finnish*, English, German, Swedish
Studies: Danish

Message 17 of 17
31 October 2012 at 10:44am | IP Logged 
My recommendations are Stundande natten by Carl-Henning Wijkmark and Jonas Karlsson's
three short story collections Det andra målet, Den perfekte vännen and Spelreglerna.

Stundande natten, which won the August Prize for Best Novel in 2007, is about a
terminal cancer patient trying to come to terms with his approaching death. Not the
most cheerful kind of reading, but very touching and worthwhile. The language is not
particularly complicated, if that's a concern for some of you. If anything, I found the
book easier to follow than many of the crime novels I've read.

Jonas Karlsson's short stories feature all sorts of interesting scenarios from the
daily lives of ordinary people. Some of the stories are funny, some thoughtful, and
others delightfully skewed. Across the board, though, they're all very memorable and
oddly compelling. I also enjoyed the audio books, narrated by Karlsson himself, so I
can recommend those, as well. Especially if you're looking for good audio by male
speakers of the Stockholm dialect.

1 person has voted this message useful

This discussion contains 17 messages over 3 pages: << Prev 1 2

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version