SwedenRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6690 days ago

4250 posts - 5710 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English
Studies: German, Spanish, Russian, Dutch, Mandarin, Esperanto, Irish, French
Personal Language Map

Message 9 of 25
20 September 2006 at 9:39am | IP Logged 
Yeah yeah, there are huge differences between the various Swedish dialects as well, as regards "melody", pronunciation et.c. ...

The three languages are close, however in my opinion not really as close as (I think) you say. But not too distant either.

How does Nordic studies work? Do you read/write/listen to/speak all three languages?
1 person has voted this message useful

tricoteuse
Pentaglot
Norway
littlang.blogspot.co
Joined 6459 days ago

745 posts - 845 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, Norwegian, EnglishC1, Russian, French
Studies: Ukrainian, Bulgarian

Message 10 of 25
30 September 2006 at 5:04pm | IP Logged 
geirtbr wrote:
I think it is artificial to distinguish the 3 Scandinavian languages in 3 differen languages. Norwegians can understand more than 90% of the other Nordic languages, maybe more like 99%.

But we cannot understand you that well. Shouldn't that count for something? I can hardly understand a word of spoken Danish. I don't know about Norwegian, as I have never had any experience with it other than in its written form, but it isn't as obvious to us as it is to you.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Saint
Diglot
South Africa
Joined 6532 days ago

29 posts - 31 votes
Speaks: English*, Afrikaans
Studies: Norwegian

Message 11 of 25
01 October 2006 at 5:59am | IP Logged 
It's odd to me that you've never had experience with spoken Norwegian. Are Norwegians the only ones that watch the television of the other two countries? Danish TV with great difficulty, it must be said.

Thomaskim
Groupie
Joined 7050 days ago

84 posts - 85 votes 

Message 12 of 25
07 October 2006 at 11:47am | IP Logged 
tricoteuse wrote:

But we cannot understand you that well. Shouldn't that count for something? I can hardly understand a word of spoken Danish. I don't know about Norwegian, as I have never had any experience with it other than in its written form, but it isn't as obvious to us as it is to you.

Fair enough. Danish pronunciation can be demanding.

However, wasn't the 2005 Big Brother Scandinavia edition teeming with Swedes and Norwegians living under the same roof?

In the movie Hamsun Max von Sydow (a Swede) didn't seem to miss a word spoken in rapid-fire Danish by Ghita Nørby. Granted, they MAY have known the script :)

Thomaskim
Groupie
Joined 7050 days ago

84 posts - 85 votes 

Message 13 of 25
07 October 2006 at 11:50am | IP Logged 
USEFULNESS

Anyone wanting to travel anywhere from Greenland to Finland may have a more rewarding experience by being able to speak some Norwegian, which is in fact the best inter-Scandinavian means of communication - as reports carried out by the Nordisk Råd(Nordic Council) have confirmed.

Ryder
Diglot
Groupie
Norway
Joined 6374 days ago

67 posts - 70 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian, Russian*
Studies: English, French

Message 14 of 25
15 November 2006 at 10:49am | IP Logged 
Linas wrote:
Steve wrote:
DIFFICULTIES:

The major difficulty is the three genders. Nouns can take any of the three forms seemingly without reason. There is no set method for determining whether a noun is feminine, masculine or neuter. The best method is really to learn the gender when you learn the word - you can do this most powerfully by learning the word in context.

But as far as I knoe three genders are in landsmaal only but not in riksmaal which has 2 genders as in danish

This is wrong.

Landsmål is a more conservative form of Nynorsk, and Riksmål a more conservative form of Bokmål.
Riksmål is practically written Danish.

Both Landsmål and Riksmål died out many years ago.

And when it comes to genders.
Both bokmål and nynorsk have three genders:
Masculine, feminine and neutral.

Ryder
Diglot
Groupie
Norway
Joined 6374 days ago

67 posts - 70 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian, Russian*
Studies: English, French

Message 15 of 25
15 November 2006 at 10:52am | IP Logged 
Seolyk wrote:
VARIATIONS:

There are many different dialects of norwegian, where differences range from spelling, to different words for things. Nationally, though Bokmål (or book norwegian) is spoken. The government want everyone to speak nynorsk (or new norwegian) in an attempt to 'norwegianize' the language and make it more different from Swedish and Danish, but as happened with Samnorsk (same norwegian), the effort is failing. Do not worry about dialects though, because most everyone knows Bokmål.

Also wrong. The government in Norway does not want everyone to use nynorsk.
(Where did you get that from???)
Nynorsk is a written language form used by 10% of the Norwegian population.
The remaining 90% use bokmål.

Metacognition
United Kingdom
Joined 6289 days ago

23 posts - 28 votes
Speaks: English*
Studies: German, Spanish, Norwegian

Message 16 of 25
03 October 2007 at 6:55pm | IP Logged 
Anybody care to expand on this? I was just browsing, hoping someone would eventually add enough for a full Norwegian profile, on par with some of the others :P

Edited by Metacognition on 03 October 2007 at 6:55pm

This discussion contains 25 messages over 4 pages: << Prev 13 4  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version