Japan
Joined 6855 days ago

681 posts - 724 votes 
3 sounds
Speaks: English*, German, Korean, French

Message 25 of 37
07 May 2010 at 5:44am | IP Logged 
gogglehead wrote:
I have in fact taken much inspiration from Prof. Arguelles, and far be it from me to question his greatness, nor is that what I intend to do. However, when you speak of "shadowing", does that mean that reading aloud with the audio in a foreign language, something I have been doing for years, was actually "developed" by Professor Arguelles? I was also learning vocabulary from word lists long before I "realised" that this method was "invented" by someone on this forum! Surely the next thing that I will read, is that someone on this forum "developed" the biro that I write with!!! Ludicrous.

I don't think he claims to have invented it; he is just the one that brought it to the attention of many... especially on this forum. I read about a Christopher Dugdale just yesterday that used 'shadowing' with his students and wrote about it online in 1995, but he called it 'mimicking' or 'shadow talking'. I even believe the old Linguaphone instructions (circa 1950) tell us to speak in time with the recording. And if we go back to Audio-Lingual teaching, this was often the practice for at least part of the class.

The same with the word lists. No 'invention' per se... people just sharing the methods that work for them.

People find ways that suit their learning style through experimentation. My wife has always 'shadowed' even before she read about it. Personally, I used a Leitner system with flashcards before I had heard of Leitner or SRS software. And I have always used the Professor's 'scriptorium' method... even though that started long before I had heard about it.

It's also sometimes interesting to read the introductions to language texts from the 1950s or 60s as these detail many of the 'modern' ideas for language learning.
1 person has voted this message useful

GREGORG4000
Diglot
United States
Joined 5301 days ago

307 posts - 479 votes 
Speaks: English*, Finnish
Studies: Japanese, Korean, Amharic, French

Message 26 of 37
07 May 2010 at 7:20am | IP Logged 
The part that Arguelles added was physical activity, brisk walking or jogging

gogglehead
Triglot
Argentina
Joined 5853 days ago

248 posts - 320 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Russian, Italian

Message 27 of 37
07 May 2010 at 10:59am | IP Logged 
OK thanks guys!

iaf
Heptaglot
Germany
Joined 5376 days ago

34 posts - 36 votes
Speaks: German*, English, French, Spanish, Dutch, Esperanto, Latin

Message 28 of 37
28 May 2010 at 12:02pm | IP Logged 
I didn't actually want to open a new thread because of this minor question:

At the moment, I am doing the so-called scriptorium method with French, Italian und Dutch in order to bring my writing skills to a very high level (using only quite sophisticated sentences).

My question is: Do I have to keep the papers on which I wrote the sentences? Can I throw them away?

M. Medialis
Diglot
TAC 2010 Winner
Sweden
Joined 6135 days ago

397 posts - 508 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English
Studies: Russian, Japanese, French

Message 29 of 37
28 May 2010 at 7:16pm | IP Logged 
iaf: If you're like me (perhaps unlikely..), you may like to do as I do:

Do all your scriptorium in a neat book. I can be pretty motivating to look back and see how much you've actually accomplished.

And if you're in the mood, you can take some minutes to quickly read through your old texts and see how much you have improved. This repetition may also help solidifying your knowledge.

iaf
Heptaglot
Germany
Joined 5376 days ago

34 posts - 36 votes

Message 30 of 37
28 May 2010 at 8:24pm | IP Logged 
Okay, that's really a good idea!

So i will keep my papers.

By the way: Do you also work 15 minutes for each language using this method?

M. Medialis
Diglot
TAC 2010 Winner
Sweden
Joined 6135 days ago

397 posts - 508 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English
Studies: Russian, Japanese, French

Message 31 of 37
28 May 2010 at 8:35pm | IP Logged 
iaf wrote:
By the way: Do you also work 15 minutes for each language using this method?

I've never tried doing scriptorium on two different languages on the same day (mostly because my Japanese reading skills have been too low, but I think it's different now).

My scriptorium sessions often last for 30 minutes. I often do scriptorium from literature, and I've experienced great results when I've been shadowing or listening (or listening-reading) to the audio earlier on the same day.

However, if I need to activate a language, I ususally do it for 1-2 hours. (my record is 5-6 hours - one of those sweet (but rare) days when I never feel the need to stop).

Edited by M. Medialis on 28 May 2010 at 8:35pm

iaf
Heptaglot
Germany
Joined 5376 days ago

34 posts - 36 votes

Message 32 of 37
30 May 2010 at 8:12pm | IP Logged 
Do you write the sentences without looking at them again while writing?

In other words: Is it necessary to know the sentence by heart before writing? Can one look at them if one is not sure how to write a word?

This discussion contains 37 messages over 5 pages: << Prev 1 2 35  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version