TAC 2010 Winner
Sweden
Joined 6116 days ago

397 posts - 508 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English
Studies: Russian, Japanese, French

Message 33 of 37
31 May 2010 at 12:04am | IP Logged 
iaf: Just to check: Have you seen Prof. Arguelles' video where he demonstrates his scriptorium technique?

Anyways, the main points in doing scriptorium (and what makes it so great in my opinion) are these factors (note that these are just my own personal opinions):

1. You can focus on the small details of the language (looking up every unknown word and construct in dictionaries and grammars, and make sure you pronounce the words exactly as the voice actor does).
2. By doing such detailed analysis, one could say that you "slow down" the language to a manageable speed. Following along in fast speech without missing nuances is often hard, and scriptorium enables you to do that.
3. By using Prof. Arguelles' techniques, you're employing a "holistic" approach, where you connect listening, reading, writing, spelling, grammar studies, new vocabulary, speaking, articulation and pronunciation at the same time! Combining so many aspects of the language makes me remember the sentences I study effectively and naturally (even though I don't try to memorize them).

If you do scriptorium from literature, you may also want to consider listening to the audio the day after the session. -A cheap way of reinforcing your memory, and you get a chance to catch the things you learnt in the previous day in "real-time".

So, to answer your question:

isf wrote:

In other words: Is it necessary to know the sentence by heart before writing? Can one look at them if one is not sure how to write a word?

I don't think it's necessary. I often re-check the spelling of the word multiple times as I write it (this is important for me in Russian since I often tend to write 'a' instead of 'o' if I'm not alert).
Remember that the point is to focus on details. Quality before quantity is the golden rule in this exercise (Prof. Arguelles employs other methods to deal with the quantity aspect).

But as you're progressing in the language, it should get easier and easier, and most of the words should just "write themselves" naturally since you've become so used to them.

Another thing: Doing scriptorium correctly can become extremely exhausting if you're new to the language (that's what I experienced with Japanese when I was a beginner). So you may decide to ignore some details (i.e. hard grammar, strange words and frustrating ambiguities) in the texts in order to get through it. I feel that many grammar points and constructs are easier to learn from listening-reading techniques etc.

Edited by M. Medialis on 31 May 2010 at 12:11am

1 person has voted this message useful

Teango
Triglot
Winner TAC 2010 & 2012
United States
teango.wordpress.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5315 days ago

2210 posts - 3734 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Russian
Studies: Hawaiian, French, Toki Pona

Message 34 of 37
01 June 2010 at 10:07am | IP Logged 
M. Medialis wrote:
Do all your scriptorium in a neat book. It can be pretty motivating to look back and see how much you've actually accomplished.

Totally! I did some Scriptorium in Russian last year, and now I can look proudly back on all these hand-written mini works of art, and in doing so, whole new waves of motivation well up inside me and encourage me onwards. I even feel like putting one of the neatest examples on my wall...

I know one person who did this with kanji and traditional brush-writing, and papered all the walls of his study. So I know I'm not the only crazy one out there. ;)

Edited by Teango on 01 June 2010 at 10:08am

iaf
Heptaglot
Germany
Joined 5357 days ago

34 posts - 36 votes
Speaks: German*, English, French, Spanish, Dutch, Esperanto, Latin

Message 35 of 37
01 June 2010 at 11:22am | IP Logged 
Like the two of you said, I began yesterday to collect all my writings in some kind of book. I have also started recording the time I have done sriptorium and shadowing.

However, I slowly realise that it can be difficult to do the methods every day. So I have to pull my socks up at the moment since I am convinced that daily study is absolutely crucial, right?

M. Medialis
Diglot
TAC 2010 Winner
Sweden
Joined 6116 days ago

397 posts - 508 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English
Studies: Russian, Japanese, French

Message 36 of 37
01 June 2010 at 5:17pm | IP Logged 
iaf: If you manage to do it everyday, you will surely see your progress sky-rocket (mostly because all those small hours sum up quickly when you do it everyday). However, whatever you do, don't beat yourself up if you miss a day; that is, don't try doubling the effort the next day or something similar.

(Khatzumoto writes about this in his "Binging and purging" articles at www.alljapaneseallthetime.com).

Have fun and you will win!

RagsToRich
United Kingdom
therealmind.com
Joined 5162 days ago

11 posts - 18 votes
Studies: Spanish

Message 37 of 37
22 August 2010 at 10:49pm | IP Logged 
My thoughts on shadowing after one week:

My "parseing" ability has improved significantly.

My "reading" (but without necessarily understanding) ability has improved significantly.

My mechanical speaking skill has improved significantly.

I seem to have Spanish giberish (my target language) going on in my head for about 2 hours after a 30 minute shadowing session.

The jury is still out on understanding, but I'm happy to give this another 2 weeks at least before concluding how it has affected that.

But basically - great! After 7 months of audio-linguistic vocab building this is just what the doctor ordered.

Edited by RagsToRich on 22 August 2010 at 10:50pm

This discussion contains 37 messages over 5 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version