Japan
Joined 5251 days ago

772 posts - 1474 votes 
Speaks: English*, Japanese, German, Russian
Studies: Georgian

Message 1 of 12
09 December 2009 at 5:45am | IP Logged 
Hi guys!
I'm new to the forum and finding it was like discovering a pot of gold at the end of the garden for a language geek like myself!

I've neglected my language studies for a few years now, apart from a quickly aborted attempt at Thai, but the next language I would like to study is Armenian. I have a huge interest in the old Eastern Bloc and I find the ancient Christian cultures of Armenia and Georgia fascinating, so I'd like to see what the languages are all about.

So, what I would like to know is, where to start?? Any tips on books, CDs etc., as well as any learning tips, would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
2 persons have voted this message useful

Captain Haddock
Diglot
Japan
kanjicabinet.tumblr.
Joined 6555 days ago

2282 posts - 2814 votes 
Speaks: English*, Japanese
Studies: French, Korean, Ancient Greek

Message 2 of 12
09 December 2009 at 6:26am | IP Logged 
Welcome to the forum. That's a nice trio of languages you have there (Japanese-German-Russian).

I know very little about Armenian, but the audio-oriented language programs put out by French publisher Assimil
are very popular here, and they have an Armenian edition, Arménien sans peine. The audio would be Armenian
only, but the explanations in the text would be in French.

Edit: It appears that there's an English version out as well.

Edited by Captain Haddock on 09 December 2009 at 7:58am

1 person has voted this message useful

TixhiiDon
Tetraglot
Japan
Joined 5251 days ago

772 posts - 1474 votes 

Message 3 of 12
09 December 2009 at 7:36am | IP Logged 
Thanks for the tip Capt'n.
Yeah, I figured I'd go for all the scary enemy nations in my language choices! Gave my grandparents nightmares, I think.

I actually discovered that there is a language school here in Tokyo which offers Armenian lessons with a native speaker. How bizarre is that? Not sure if it's worth the money though.

newyorkeric
Diglot
Singapore
Joined 6166 days ago

1598 posts - 2174 votes 
Speaks: English*, Italian
Studies: Mandarin, Malay
Personal Language Map

Message 4 of 12
09 December 2009 at 9:23am | IP Logged 
In one of the Assimil courses I have, Armenian With Ease is listed as forthcoming, but I don't think it was ever released. At least it's not listed on their webpage.

TixhiiDon
Tetraglot
Japan
Joined 5251 days ago

772 posts - 1474 votes 

Message 5 of 12
09 December 2009 at 9:28am | IP Logged 
Yeah, I checked the website and could only find the French version which, while not impossible, would probably hinder my progress a bit.

pfwillard
Pro Member
United States
Joined 5486 days ago

169 posts - 205 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: French
Personal Language Map

Message 6 of 12
09 December 2009 at 9:21pm | IP Logged 
Pimsleur has courses for both dialects and there is an OKish FSI course--don't think it has been uploaded yet though. Hippocrene has a quite good phrasebook for Western Armenian.

Supposedly, there is an Armenian community in Japan.

Good luck!

Captain Haddock
Diglot
Japan
kanjicabinet.tumblr.
Joined 6555 days ago

2282 posts - 2814 votes 
Speaks: English*, Japanese
Studies: French, Korean, Ancient Greek

Message 7 of 12
10 December 2009 at 2:56am | IP Logged 
It occurs to me that since Armenia was part of the Soviet Bloc, there are probably good materials in Russian out
there.

TixhiiDon
Tetraglot
Japan
Joined 5251 days ago

772 posts - 1474 votes 

Message 8 of 12
10 December 2009 at 5:09am | IP Logged 
I've taken a look at the Pimsleur courses and I'm not sure how much I like the look of them, to be honest. They seem to be nothing more than listen-and-repeat glorified phrase books. However, I've never actually used them so I'm happy to be corrected. What do you guys think of them, if you've ever used them?

Yeah, I'm sure there's plenty of Russian stuff out there, but again, though not impossible, and certainly easier for me than French, I'd prefer to have explanations in English just to get me started.

I'm considering getting a course of private lessons at the school in Tokyo I discovered - 100,000 yen for ten hours though... Needs a bit more consideration, methinks.

Oh, and if there are any Armeniaphiles (yes, I just made that word up) out there, I'd love to receive some tips on Armenian literature in either English or Russian.

Edited by TixhiiDon on 10 December 2009 at 5:11am

This discussion contains 12 messages over 2 pages: 2  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version