Language Learning Forum : Learning Techniques, Methods & Strategies Post Reply
13 messages over 2 pages: 1
Quabazaa
Tetraglot
United States
Joined 5390 days ago

414 posts - 543 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, German, French
Studies: Japanese, Korean, Maori, Scottish Gaelic, Arabic (Levantine), Arabic (Egyptian), Arabic (Written)

Message 9 of 13
03 January 2010 at 8:43am | IP Logged 
As a side note, aren't our memories processed from short term into long term ones as we fall asleep? So something like this could really help. That or listening to vocab or whatever just before you fall asleep.
1 person has voted this message useful

BartoG
Diglot
United States
confession
Joined 5228 days ago

292 posts - 818 votes 
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Italian, Spanish, Latin, Uzbek

Message 10 of 13
03 January 2010 at 10:28pm | IP Logged 
Ouabazaa,
While this is the time when your day is processed, I think it's at a more abstract level - ideas, or key concepts, not individual details. If you created a story about your day that made use of the vocabulary you were learning, I could see it helping. A simple list that didn't have personal meaning, though, might be like the conversation you half overheard at the table behind you in the restaurant - something the brain realizes it really doesn't need to know to understand what happened to you today and what it means for your tomorrow. I tried listening to Vocabulearn tapes before bed at one point years ago. I didn't notice that it particularly helped, though others may have different experiences.

One note on the visualizations, meditations, etc.: You can't be hypnotized to do something you don't want to do. And you can't be hypnotized to believe something that runs against your core convictions. However, like a song that's always on the radio, the content of hypnosis audio will slip into your brain over time. Sennin needn't worry that with one listening he'll start sending his paychecks to a numbered account in Switzerland as Big Hypnosis continues its march to take over the world. But if he listens enough, he might at odd moments find himself thinking "Je suis intelligent et aimable" and wonder where it came from. If the content of an audio creeps you out, don't listen again. (I think this is obvious, but thought it worth mentioning just in case.)

Jimmymac
United Kingdom
strange-lands.com/le
Joined 5934 days ago

276 posts - 362 votes 
Studies: Spanish, Mandarin, French

Message 11 of 13
04 January 2010 at 10:10am | IP Logged 
Hi BartoG,
I think you may have misunderstood my original idea (although I can see why going by the title). I don't think one can 'learn' a language through hypnosis. My point was that amongst all the active studying a person may be doing they can take a break, relax and still improve their language abilities through listening.

BartoG wrote:
You can't be hypnotized to do something you don't want to do. And you can't be hypnotized to believe something that runs against your core convictions.

Whilst this certainly isn't the place to continue this discussion I can, with absolute confidence, state that people can and are hypnotized to do things they don't want to do. I'm not referring to charlatans on stage 'making' people bark like dogs. I'm refering to the work of Dr Milton H. Erickson who regularly hypnotized, either in conferences or privately, people who didn't believe in hypnosis or who claimed could never go into trance. Upon entering trance they would demonstrate typical hypnotic phenomena. Since these people held powerful beliefs that either hypnosis doesn't exist or that they couldn't be hypnotized I think it's fair to assume they were acting against their will and core beliefs.

If you still have doubts then I suggest you look up the work of Ross Jeffries and his weird followers. He is the innovator of NLP seduction and arguably one of the ugliest blokes around. Yet he consistently finds himself with annoyingly beautiful women. People absolutely can be 'made' to do things against their will.

BartoG
Diglot
United States
confession
Joined 5228 days ago

292 posts - 818 votes 
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Italian, Spanish, Latin, Uzbek

Message 12 of 13
05 January 2010 at 6:46am | IP Logged 
Jimmymac,
What I was taught was that you can't be hypnotized to do something that runs contrary to who you are, but you might be surprised to find out who you are once hypnosis knocks out your filters. It's a fair question whether this is an insight into our tendency for self-deception or a cop-out on the part of those trying to make hypnosis seem more anodyne than it might be. I'll give you expert credentials here, though. I didn't even know there was someone uglier than Bandler out there.

As to the hypnosis question, I caught your original point; just wanted to clarify that if you tried to use a meditation tape for active listening or for a language you're not solid in, you might not get much out of it whereas it could be really useful for someone who spoke the language well.

Jimmymac
United Kingdom
strange-lands.com/le
Joined 5934 days ago

276 posts - 362 votes 
Studies: Spanish, Mandarin, French

Message 13 of 13
05 January 2010 at 11:05am | IP Logged 
BartoG wrote:
As to the hypnosis question, I caught your original point; just wanted to clarify that if you tried to use a meditation tape for active listening or for a language you're not solid in, you might not get much out of it whereas it could be really useful for someone who spoke the language well.

I agree with you here. I wouldn't say you necessarily have to be too advanced in the language though. Hypnotic inductions typically are slow paced and use limited vocabulary. I actually found it quite motivating to discover I could understand the audios that I gave the link to. But ultimately, you're right; you wont get much out of it if the language is beyond your capabilities.

BartoG wrote:
Jimmymac,
I didn't even know there was someone uglier than Bandler out there.

Ha ha. Jeffries is certainly in the running for the 'ugliets man in NLP contest'.

Edited by Jimmymac on 05 January 2010 at 11:06am

This discussion contains 13 messages over 2 pages: << Prev 1

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version