Language Learning Forum : Books, Literature & Reading Post Reply
35 messages over 5 pages: 1 2 3 4 5  Next >>
Sprachprofi
Nonaglot
Germany
learnlangs.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6281 days ago

2608 posts - 4866 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, French, Esperanto, Greek, Mandarin, Latin, Dutch, Italian
Studies: Spanish, Arabic (Written), Swahili, Indonesian, Japanese, Modern Hebrew, Portuguese

Message 1 of 35
11 December 2009 at 7:44pm | IP Logged 
I had my Chinese teacher record the entire "Little Prince" in Mandarin as I needed a
relatively easy Chinese book to practise my listening comprehension with. I'd like to
share the recording with all of you fellow Chinese learners, especially as the matching
written text is available for free in simplified and traditional Chinese (plus English
and French for those looking to L-R).

The recording, one file per chapter:
recording
The matching text:
here (simplified, traditional,
English and French)

The text in other languages:
here

If you're aware of recordings of this book in other languages, please let me know.

Edited by Sprachprofi on 13 June 2010 at 8:59am

22 persons have voted this message useful

Raincrowlee
Tetraglot
United States
Joined 6513 days ago

621 posts - 808 votes 
Speaks: English*, Mandarin, Korean, French
Studies: Indonesian, Japanese

Message 2 of 35
11 December 2009 at 9:34pm | IP Logged 
Check out this thread: http://how-to-learn-any-language.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?T ID=6676&PN=1
1 person has voted this message useful

FamusBluRaincot
Triglot
Groupie
Canada
Joined 5372 days ago

50 posts - 114 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, French
Studies: Mandarin, Italian

Message 3 of 35
12 December 2009 at 12:02am | IP Logged 
Thank you so much for the download. I am always looking for stuff like this.

I have two Mandarin recordings of “The Little Prince”. One was read by a wonderfully talented actress and
includes a PDF file in beautifully hand-written script. Both recordings were downloaded from VeryCD.com using
Amule for Mac. I have also downloaded hundreds of hours of audio material for children from the same site-all
in Mandarin. They include classic fairy tales from all over the world, lessons in geography and science for young
children and for teens, translations of books such as “Pippi Longstockings”, and too much more for me to list
here.Some of the material comes from   recordings of radio shows regularly produced and broadcast for children.
The Chinese are really good at that kind of stuff.

They have even more adult material, both from China and the West, fiction and non-fiction.

If you are worried about the piracy aspect, be assured that much of their audio-book material is public domain-
-but VeryCD was down a few days ago, and there are rumors out that it may be shut down because of their
pirated stuff--so if you are interested, better hurry.

Out of the mass of audio that I have downloaded, I select material that seems interesting and suitable for my
level and random-cycle it through a 16G and an 8G Ipod. Even though I’m listening constantly, it may be weeks
or even months before I hear a particular file again. I’m often amazed at how much better I understand it the
second time. The words and their meanings just seem to seep into my consciousness. When a particular word or
phrase becomes very familiar, I will repeat it out loud so as to start it on the way to becoming part of my active
vocabulary. I love the whole process, and it doesn’t seem like studying to me.

I also have recordings of “The Little Prince” in French, Spanish, and Italian. I obtained them from bit-torrent
sites. The Spanish one is a bit dull.

jeff_lindqvist
Diglot
SwedenRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6720 days ago

4250 posts - 5710 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English
Studies: German, Spanish, Russian, Dutch, Mandarin, Esperanto, Irish, French
Personal Language Map

Message 4 of 35
12 December 2009 at 2:37am | IP Logged 
Thanks a lot for this, Sprachprofi!

Pyx
Diglot
China
Joined 5546 days ago

670 posts - 892 votes 
Speaks: German*, English
Studies: Mandarin

Message 5 of 35
12 December 2009 at 2:37am | IP Logged 
Sweet, thanks Sprachprofi!
Hey FamusBluRaincot, any idea where we can still get stuff like that? And do you have any recommendations for particularly good stuff?

FamusBluRaincot
Triglot
Groupie
Canada
Joined 5372 days ago

50 posts - 114 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, French
Studies: Mandarin, Italian

Message 6 of 35
12 December 2009 at 4:25am | IP Logged 
Pyx:

I’m not exactly sure how to answer your request, so I will just lay out some more information and hope it will
help you and maybe some others.

VeryCD was still up and running the last time I checked. They may have taken some of the pirated material off.

I’m not particularly computer literate-so if I can figure it out, anyone should be able to.

Try this:

First, you need to download and install Emule or Amule.

Google VeryCd.com and, assuming you are weak on characters as I am, use the translation feature. Once at the
site, click Information/Audiobooks from the left-hand column. There you will find about 2400 folders with audio
books programs etc. Some of the folders contain multiple books etc.--up to 2 gigabytes.Click on the folder,
click on the download button and its done.

It took me weeks and months to find, download, and sort through all the material. I ended up basically
downloading most of the material in mp3 format, or that could be easily converted to mp3 files. They also have
stuff that seems to be pictorial encyclopedias for children and teaching movies.etc. I haven’t bothered
downloading and figuring out how to use that stuff yet. I didn’t keep a record of where I found all the material
though and I didn’t use the search function. I just paged through everything multiple times and ended up
grabbing most of the material.

When I discovered the site last March, I had been through all of Pimsleur, all of Cslpod level 3, all of the
hundreds of IMandarinpod lessons, all the Chineselearnonline above 180, and many of the Chinesepod advanced
lessons. I had also gone through a lot of other material, basically all the mandarin audio I could find, on or
offline. I avoided stuff with non-native speakers, and with excessive English-such as Chinesepod below
advanced level. I’m far from having mastered all of this stuff though-- I’m very much a “pick the low hanging
fruit’ kind of guy.

Anyway, in spite of having gone through all of this material, I still had trouble understanding some of the stuff
that seemed to be aimed at young children. I didn’t know the words for “giraffe” and “squirrel”, and “witch” and
“ogre”-and thousands of others that all Chinese children would know, but that I didn’t.

The easiest stories for me to understand were mandarin translations of things like “The Boy who Cried Wolf”,
“Little Red Riding Hood”, “Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs” etc. With repeated listenings, I picked up the
vocabulary I didn’t know.

They also have zillions of stories with little rabbits, squirrels, bears etc. Some seem to be aimed at pre-literate
children, so they are easy if you just learn the words for those animals. Its easy to overdose on these stories
though.

There is a series with hundreds of lessons where a mother explains things like continents, shooting stars,
thunder and lightening, etc. to a little child--brilliant learning material for mandarin students.

Another great series has an uncle like figure telling about the lives of famous historical figures such as Edison,
Lincoln, Shakespeare, etc. It seems to be aimed at young adolescents.

Lately I have been listening to “Pippi Longstockings”. I was happy to discover that I could follow the story
without ever having read it in another language. Its wonderfully entertaining.

They also have many hundreds of chengyu stories, some aimed at adults, some for children.

I usually try to restrain myself from writing long posts such as this--they take me away from doing what I really
should be doing, which is studying. I’m only doing so because I have gained so much valuable information from
sites like this, and I feel I should try to contribute something in return. Perhaps Pyx and some others might find
it helpful.

Here are some search terms that I have used:

有声小说 mp3 emule
童话 mp3 emule fairy tales
有声小说 mp3 emule 童话
童话 = fairy tale

4 persons have voted this message useful

Pyx
Diglot
China
Joined 5546 days ago

670 posts - 892 votes 
Speaks: German*, English
Studies: Mandarin

Message 7 of 35
12 December 2009 at 7:31am | IP Logged 
I very much find it helpful and I very much appreciate your long and detailed answer! Thank you!!

jeff_lindqvist
Diglot
SwedenRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6720 days ago

4250 posts - 5710 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English
Studies: German, Spanish, Russian, Dutch, Mandarin, Esperanto, Irish, French
Personal Language Map

Message 8 of 35
08 January 2010 at 7:27pm | IP Logged 
Did anybody get chapters 12 and 13? They were missing from the file I downloaded. Do they exist? Were they not recorded?

This discussion contains 35 messages over 5 pages: 2 3 4 5  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version