United States
crittercryptics.com
Joined 5709 days ago

361 posts - 461 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish*, French
Studies: Russian, Swedish, Haitian Creole

Message 9 of 49
23 December 2009 at 8:29pm | IP Logged 
Maybe the people who have it can copy it to the internet? Or scan the pages? It could always be taken down if the author requests for it to be removed.

In any case, I would really intensely appreciate anybody who would scan the pages of this. The author has a style that really should show up in more instructional books.

French Horn - idaafa?!
1 person has voted this message useful

apparition
Octoglot
United States
Joined 6437 days ago

600 posts - 667 votes 
Speaks: English*, Arabic (Written), French, Arabic (Iraqi), Portuguese, German, Italian, Spanish
Studies: Pashto

Message 10 of 49
24 December 2009 at 9:56pm | IP Logged 
Yeah, that book is full of great insights for the Arabic learner. I have a copy, but don't have access to a scanner and don't condone copying without the prior consent of the author. It's several hundred pages long. It's also dog-eared and highlighted because it was a very big part of my learning process.

I think a big strength of that book is the attitude that Price exhibits. He spends a lot of time chastising lazy learners of Arabic and saying that unless they learn certain principles of grammar down cold, they'll never advance past a basic level. And it's so true. All the students in my class that have read that book seriously are the ones who excel today. Coincidence? I really don't think so. In fact, when we were in the first six months of study, we just called Price's book "Al-Kitaab" (THE book), and it was treated like a holy grail.

I don't have it with me at the moment or else I'd quote a few key passages to give the flavor. Maybe in January?

2 persons have voted this message useful

Volte
Tetraglot
Switzerland
Joined 6226 days ago

4474 posts - 6726 votes 
Speaks: English*, Esperanto, German, Italian
Studies: French, Finnish, Mandarin, Japanese

Message 11 of 49
24 December 2009 at 10:27pm | IP Logged 
Does anyone have an ISBN for this book?

Bookfinder doesn't have any copies at this point; nor does any other seller I checked.

Woodpecker
Triglot
United States
Joined 5598 days ago

351 posts - 590 votes 
Speaks: English*, Arabic (Written), Arabic (Egyptian)
Studies: Arabic (classical)

Message 12 of 49
24 December 2009 at 11:00pm | IP Logged 
Has anyone tried to contact this guy? I have access to one of the larger collections of Arabic study material in the world and yet I can't find a single hint of this thing, and based off the quoted passages, it's something I'd definitely like to add to the collection. If we could get permission to copy it, or at least ascertain what the copyright status is, that would be wonderful.
2 persons have voted this message useful

translator2
United States
Joined 6706 days ago

848 posts - 1862 votes 
Speaks: English*

Message 13 of 49
26 December 2009 at 6:28pm | IP Logged 
There is no ISBN number because the book, as far as I can tell, was never published. The only thing on my copy is "ARAB 2152 AA-152" so it sounds like a college course. Found this on Google, but did not search through the site to find the reference. Would be great to learn about Mr. Price and even greater if he had a website.
Arab 2152 - AA-152 google search

If I had two copies, I would definitely donate one for someone to scan, but as it is, I am not letting this book out of my site. :-)

Volte wrote:
Does anyone have an ISBN for this book?

Bookfinder doesn't have any copies at this point; nor does any other seller I checked.

Edited by translator2 on 26 December 2009 at 6:33pm

mcarlson
United States
Joined 5224 days ago

1 posts - 1 votes

Message 14 of 49
05 January 2010 at 10:56pm | IP Logged 
It is part of the training materials used at the Defense Language Institute (DLI). Designation AD 0228S.

Important excerpts from the book:
"PERMISSION FOR THE USE OF THIS MATERIAL BY THE DEFENSE LANGUAGE INSTITUTE FOREIGN LANGUAGE CENTER AND PRESIDIO OF MONTEREY, GRANTED 10 JAN 1997 BY AUTHOR JAMES M. PRICE"

"Permission to use copyrighted material was granted on the condition that it be used exclusively for nonprofit educational purposes within the United States Government.

Further reproduction is unauthorized."

This work does not seem to be in the public domain, but is part of DLI training materials. Some government training manuals are available for order. Not sure about this one.

Inquires about the book should be made to:
Defense Language Institute
Foreign Language Center
Distance Education Division
Presidio of Monterey, CA 93944-5006

Edited by mcarlson on 05 January 2010 at 10:59pm

translator2
United States
Joined 6706 days ago

848 posts - 1862 votes 
Speaks: English*

Message 15 of 49
09 February 2010 at 11:14pm | IP Logged 
Any update or information about Jim/James Price?

Edited by translator2 on 10 February 2010 at 1:19am

Saif
Bilingual Triglot
United States
Joined 5399 days ago

122 posts - 208 votes 
Speaks: English*, Arabic (Levantine)*, French

Message 16 of 49
10 February 2010 at 3:40am | IP Logged 
"you will never understand Arabic above the level of a two year old, or of an American
journalist
."

LOVE IT! *laughing*

This discussion contains 49 messages over 7 pages: << Prev 13 4 5 6 7  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version