Joined 5611 days ago

184 posts - 194 votes 
Speaks: Russian*
Studies: English

Message 9 of 74
12 January 2010 at 3:41pm | IP Logged 
DaraghM wrote:
Thanks SSI for the correction.
читать по-русски - My original didn't sound right to my ear, and this maked a lot more sense. I probably should've known this

There are many possible variants to say what you want to say (I wrote only one of these variants), but it is incorrect to say "читать русский".

Quote:
мне трудно - Another mistake brought about by faulty translation. I realise that мне (for me) is implied in 'it is difficult'.

It is possible to say: "Для меня трудно..." (formally this is the more exact translation for your English sentence), but "Мне трудно" sounds better.

Quote:
занимался - I haven't come across this verb form yet, so I defaulted to the past imperfective.

Yes, this is the past imperfective form for "заниматься".

Quote:
позанимался - I must check out this form of the verb.

And this form is the past perfective.

Quote:
SII wrote:

I wrote one of possible translations for your English original

I wrote one of the possible translations of your English original.

or

I wrote a possible translation for your English original.

As you know, Russian doesn't use the definite or indefinite article, but English requires it.

Yes, I know, but I very often forget about articles. In addition, often I don't understand which article I must to use. It is need to practice but I'm not have many time for it...

Edited by SII on 12 January 2010 at 3:42pm

1 person has voted this message useful

DaraghM
Diglot
Ireland
Joined 5970 days ago

1947 posts - 2923 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: French, Russian, Hungarian

Message 10 of 74
19 January 2010 at 11:07am | IP Logged 
It's a good sign that I've to go to the third page to find my log. The Team TAC, solo TAC, and other logs are very active at the moment. I have to admit I've only been able to quickly scan my favourite logs, as my time for the forum has been very limited.

I've finally managed to complete unit 6 of Modern Russian 1. It took a bit longer than expected, as I couldn't do as much listening with the bad weather. However, it meant I used a lot more of the Penguin Russian course. It also ends my solid Russian study, as I'm adding Spanish back into the mix. I'll continue Russian in the mornings, and also on my lunch breaks.

I've resumed my Spanish study for the first time last night. My current resources are Platiquemos and a B2 Gramática. I'd left Platiquemos off at Unit 44, and I started it over from the beginning. I'd forgotten how tricky some of the Gramática exercises were. It doesn't make it easier that all the grammar explanations are in Spanish.

Time to Russian Target: 170.33 hours
Time to Spanish Target: 397.33 hours

DaraghM
Diglot
Ireland
Joined 5970 days ago

1947 posts - 2923 votes 

Message 11 of 74
27 January 2010 at 10:36am | IP Logged 
My studies are finally picking up a bit of momentum, and hopefully the pace will stay that way. I've come to realise that I've set some very challenging goals for myself for TAC 2010. I've decided to break my TAC goals into sub-goals or medals as follows,

Bronze
50 hours of Russian.
100 hours of Spanish.
25 hours of other languages.

Silver
100 hours of Russian.
200 hours of Spanish.
50 hours of other languages.

Gold - The original TAC goals.
200 hours of Russian.
400 hours of Spanish.
100 hours of other languages.

Platinum - Way beyond the original TAC goals.
300 hours of Russian.
500 hours of Spanish.
150 hours of other languages.

Getting to gold will be very challenging for me, and platinum would require a miracle. I'll probably end up with different awards for different languages.

As regards my study, it's been pretty much the same routine as before. My Russian has reduced to about 20 minutes of actual reading per day at breakfast, with an additional hour of listening. I used to listen to Russian on my way back from work, but I've stopped, as I felt it was skewing the results. I'm normally extremely tired at the end of the day, and don't believe I'm learning much by listening at that time. My evening study doesn't kick off until I've rested a short while, and then eaten something.

As planned, Spanish has become my dominant study language, as I plow slowly through the Platiquemos course. I'm still in the habit of overlearning the material until it's drilled into my subconscious. The B2 Gramática is the most interesting, but also the most challenging resource. Even a simple topic like the demonstratives, este, ese, and aquel become tricky when the language becomes more nuanced. Este and aquel can be used in formal language to mean the former and the latter.

[EDIT - I've adapted the first page with these new goals. I'll leave the countdown as it stands.]

Time to Russian Target: 164 hours
Time to Spanish Target: 383 hours

Edited by DaraghM on 27 January 2010 at 10:52am

Vos
Diglot
Australia
Joined 5385 days ago

766 posts - 1020 votes 
Studies: Dutch, Polish

Message 12 of 74
27 January 2010 at 11:08am | IP Logged 
Hey DaraghM, nice log you've got going on. Was just curious about the hours of study which you'd like to achieve
for each language this year. Are the numbers the amount of time you'd personally just like to put in, or are they
actual proven numbers that say if you do this many hours in a particular language you should be around this level?
Either way it's a good idea and a cool little thing to keep checking in on as it makes it way towards said goals.

Fantastic language choices as well by the way. I'm always torn between languages that i think i should learn, and
languages that i just really would like to learn. And Russian is definitely a language that i would love to pick up one
day, just for the fun of it!

Well good luck with it all and i hope you far exceed all your goals for this year.

DaraghM
Diglot
Ireland
Joined 5970 days ago

1947 posts - 2923 votes 

Message 13 of 74
27 January 2010 at 12:08pm | IP Logged 
Vos wrote:
Are the numbers the amount of time you'd personally just like to put in, or are they actual proven numbers that say if you do this many hours in a particular language you should be around this level?

Thanks Vos for you post. I'd like to think these are proven numbers for different language levels, but they're not. I don't think you can put definite figures on it, as the quality of study can vary greatly from day to day. The other major factor is the language itself. If I invest 200 hours in Spanish, I'll master a lot more Spanish, than a similar amount of time spent on Russian. However, I found it useful to set a time based goal as it encourages study. As I've been monitoring my own study in TAC 2008 and TAC 2009, I've developed a sense for how long it'll take to achieve certain levels. On that basis, I came up with this years TAC goals.

Edited by DaraghM on 27 January 2010 at 12:09pm

DaraghM
Diglot
Ireland
Joined 5970 days ago

1947 posts - 2923 votes 

Message 14 of 74
08 February 2010 at 11:30am | IP Logged 
I don't seem to get the time to update my log on a regular basis. My brilliant plan to relegate Russian to the morning and lunchtime sessions didn't work out. I realised it would take me over a month to complete Unit 7 of Modern Russian 1. Instead, I stopped doing Spanish in the evening, and focused entirely on doing solid Russian study. I'm almost finshed with Unit 7 now, and I'll focus entirely on Spanish after that.

I think I've drilled the contents of Unit 7 quite thoroughly, and can use the prepositional case with little difficultly. In previous attempts at learning, I would attempt to learn off the conjugation of this case, but then get confused between it and other cases in the plural. Now, I've learnt it so I'm never likely to forget it again. Most Russian course move quickly through the cases, but this course drills each one very substantially. As the course is audio based, I conjugate first in the spoken language, and then the spelling natural follows.

As a bonus, I've now earned my Russian bronze medal. :-)

Time to Russian Target: 147 hours
Time to Spanish Target: 376 hours

DaraghM
Diglot
Ireland
Joined 5970 days ago

1947 posts - 2923 votes 

Message 15 of 74
15 February 2010 at 10:21am | IP Logged 
Just another quick update on my studies. I wrapped up MR1 Unit 7 during the evening of my last post. From that point on, I've been studying Spanish solidly. My primary resource is still Platiquemos, and I finished Unit 46 during the week. I started into Unit 47 over the weekend, and it looks like it'll be a long unit. It covers the past subjunctive in a lot of detail, and also the dialogue for this unit is extremely long.

Time to Russian Target: 145 hours
Time to Spanish Target: 364 hours

Edited by DaraghM on 15 February 2010 at 10:21am

DaraghM
Diglot
Ireland
Joined 5970 days ago

1947 posts - 2923 votes 

Message 16 of 74
24 February 2010 at 6:00pm | IP Logged 
Just another very quick post on my studies. Somehow I decided to completely over learn the contents of Unit 47, and I'm just finishing it now. I've also returned to Harry Potter, and the B2 Gramática. The Gramática is probably the most challenging of the three. Hopefully, I'll get a chance to give a more detailed description the next time.

Time to Spanish Target: 345 hours

This discussion contains 74 messages over 10 pages: << Prev 13 4 5 6 7 8 9 10  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version