angelfire.com/games5Registered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6424 days ago

302 posts - 356 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: English*
Studies: Korean, Spanish

Message 25 of 78
28 December 2009 at 12:48am | IP Logged 
Maybe people get the impression that English is easy because the foreign language skills for the majority of Americans and Britons is poor. But with many immigrants living in America and England who have poor English skills, there's enough room for English speakers to get "good" at a foreign language.
1 person has voted this message useful

jeff_lindqvist
Diglot
SwedenRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6715 days ago

4250 posts - 5710 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English
Studies: German, Spanish, Russian, Dutch, Mandarin, Esperanto, Irish, French
Personal Language Map

Message 26 of 78
28 December 2009 at 2:49am | IP Logged 
Thatzright wrote:
Of course, the pace with which one learns English as a foreign language is made faster by the fact that its grammar is relatively simple, but I think it definitely has more to do with the exposure.

True, you almost have to isolate yourself in the wild without any access to media in order not to be exposed to English.

The simple verb conjugations and lack of case system are factors that make English quite easy to get the hang of. And you can more or less speak "English" with strange syntax, omission of copula, dummy verb etc. (almost to a pidginized level) and still be understood, as in:

I hungry. Store no open. I no can buy food.

Something that might not be the case in "grammar intense" languages where it seems to be the end of the world if a speaker uses the wrong ending/gender/aspect/tense...

Edited by jeff_lindqvist on 28 December 2009 at 2:50am

9 persons have voted this message useful

datsunking1
Diglot
United States
Joined 5391 days ago

1014 posts - 1533 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: German, Russian, Dutch, French

Message 27 of 78
28 December 2009 at 2:53am | IP Logged 
I guess thats why I lack in my other languages. I'm not able to just get slapped in the face with German where I live, or portuguese for that matter. I have to hunt for it :)
2 persons have voted this message useful

Snesgamer
Groupie
Afghanistan
Joined 6417 days ago

81 posts - 90 votes 
Studies: English*, German, Spanish, Norwegian, Scottish Gaelic

Message 28 of 78
28 December 2009 at 3:52am | IP Logged 
Well, English has more resources, more opportunities to hear/practice/use it, and is becoming more and more of a necessity in today's world, so the pressure and motivation for a foreigner to learn it is much more than it would be for you to learn another language while living in the United States.

Beyond that, I'd say English is like the game chess - easy to grasp the essentials, but no one really ever "masters" it.
1 person has voted this message useful

cordelia0507
United Kingdom
Joined 5644 days ago

1473 posts - 2176 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*
Studies: German, Russian

Message 29 of 78
28 December 2009 at 9:08am | IP Logged 
Quote:
Beyond that, I'd say English is like the game chess - easy to grasp the essentials, but no one really ever "masters" it.

Why wouldn't we "master" English if we tried hard enough? Define mastering...? I can use English as effectively as 95% of native English speakers, probably a fair deal more effectively than some. As far as I'm concerned, that means I've mastered it. But like I said, it was no walk in the park. You simply do what you have to do... At the time, there did not seem to be any feasibly alternative. It was a case of "failure is not an option".

As chance would have it, I even ended up being offered a job in the UK.
7 persons have voted this message useful

schoenewaelder
Diglot
Germany
Joined 5366 days ago

759 posts - 1197 votes 
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: German, Spanish, Dutch

Message 30 of 78
28 December 2009 at 7:14pm | IP Logged 
I've just been reading an English Grammar book (for German speakers). I must admit, English is quite a bit more complicated than I realised.

But it did contain the good (and probably old) joke:

Is English easy to learn?
Yes, for the first twenty years.

The point being, the basics of English are (probably) simpler than many other languages, so it is easier to achieve a good level of functionality.

In English, simplicity of expression is considered as a sign of good writing. There's a Polish girl who writes for the Guardian (comment is free) occasionally, who was originally criticised (by the commenters) for her tortuous writing, and she replied that in other languages, being able to use the most complicated words and forms you know is considered to be proof of your good education. I'm not entirely sure how English compares with other languages, because even in English, throwing in the odd obscure word or construction (but maybe not too much) is also appreciated.

English is fairly flexible, and speakers are used to a variety of forms, if foreigners say things a little bit oddly, it can be accepted as a reasonable way of expressing something.

English uses a lot of imagery, so that conjuring up the idea of what your talking about is more important then having exactly the correct words.

These things make English relatively accessible. I think in any language, once basic functionality is achieved, you can rapidly make good progress (with all the exposure others have mentioned). But things like studing poetry may be as or even more difficult than in other languages.

Edited by schoenewaelder on 28 December 2009 at 7:16pm

3 persons have voted this message useful

Journeyer
Triglot
United States
tristan85.blogspot.c
Joined 6674 days ago

946 posts - 1110 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, German
Studies: Sign Language

Message 31 of 78
29 December 2009 at 5:45am | IP Logged 
There's something else that needs to be said: English is compulsory (I misspelled that word just now) in many countries, but the idea that there are many fluent ESL people walking around is not true. It's especially not true to two countries I've spent a year or more in (Mexico and Peru) and not even all that true from what I've seen in France or Germany. While visiting France (not for much time, but still over a month in total) I didn't find many people who spoke English remarkably well; the Italian and Japanese students I've met, with very few exception have limited or seemingly non-existent skills. Even the most Germans didn't seem to know much beyond survival English.

Now, before anyone thinks I'm pointing fingers here, I want to be clear that I'm not harshing on any of these cultures or countries. I want to make the point that there are many many people who have survival or broken English skills, but from what I've found from traveling, relatively few who speak it well enough that I say to myself, "Wow, how do they do it?" I used to feel that way, but language studies and traveling have partially demystified it for me.

I just want to put out a counter to the myth that "Everyone speaks English" that you often seem to hear.

EDIT: Typo.

Edited by Journeyer on 29 December 2009 at 6:43am

7 persons have voted this message useful

Taos
Triglot
France
Joined 5250 days ago

3 posts - 5 votes
Speaks: French*, English, Kabyle
Studies: Tamasheq, Arabic (Levantine)

Message 32 of 78
29 December 2009 at 6:05am | IP Logged 
english isn't easy, don't mean about the grammar but about the style that i expect to be as rich as french ...

3 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 78 messages over 10 pages: << Prev 1 2 35 6 7 8 9 10  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version