Language Learning Forum : Language Programs, Books & Tapes Post Reply
translator2
United States
Joined 6706 days ago

848 posts - 1862 votes 
Speaks: English*

Message 1 of 5
27 December 2009 at 4:37pm | IP Logged 
I received this book for Christmas and it is excellent. I am mentioning it here because the cover and title are deceptive in that you would think that this is just an ordinary run-on-the-mill simple grammar or phrase book, but it is much more. If you are learning Russian, click on the link below and search inside the book and I am sure you will see what I mean. The author uses the expressions inside stories and narratives. Examples of some of the chapter titles are: "You Look Like a Cucumber and other Compliments", "Fishing with Dried Pasta" and "Why Going Dutch is not Russian"

Again, don't let the title and cover fool you - please click on look inside this book and look at the first few pages and I am sure you will see what a great asset this book is. Published in 2007, there is supposed to be a follow-up book soon and I cannot wait.

A Great Book of Russian idioms and culture

Edited by translator2 on 27 December 2009 at 4:38pm

5 persons have voted this message useful

Luigi
Diglot
Italy
Joined 6727 days ago

113 posts - 135 votes 
Speaks: Italian*, English
Studies: German, Russian

Message 2 of 5
29 December 2009 at 9:31pm | IP Logged 
The book looks very interesting. I've just added it to my Amazon's wish list. I wish there were more books like this on languages and cultures.

Thank you for your suggestion.

Luigi
1 person has voted this message useful

Sprachjunge
Diglot
Germany
Joined 6952 days ago

368 posts - 548 votes 
Speaks: English*, GermanC2
Studies: Spanish, Russian

Message 3 of 5
30 December 2009 at 2:29pm | IP Logged 
I also wanted to say thank you for the heads-up. You're right, the title is wholly misleading. I wish there were more books like this.

hobbitofny
United States
Joined 6020 days ago

280 posts - 408 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Russian

Message 4 of 5
01 January 2010 at 5:33pm | IP Logged 
This book is from the pages of Russian Life magazine. They print three books on Russian language all three are worth having. They also have Russian lessons in the back of the Magazine.

For those who remember the cold war, it was called Soviet Life. It was published by agreement between the USA and CCCP governments. Each country printed a monthly magazine about life in that nation and sold it in the other nation.

Russkiy Mir Foundation is the support for the Russian Life's Russian language lessons. If you visit RMF web site you can do load the Russian Deluxe software for free. It has many helpful aids for learning Russian.

Russian Life's website has other helpful books on Russian culture. The cookbook is very good for making a Russian dish.

Teango
Triglot
Winner TAC 2010 & 2012
United States
teango.wordpress.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5343 days ago

2210 posts - 3734 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Russian
Studies: Hawaiian, French, Toki Pona

Message 5 of 5
25 February 2010 at 8:04pm | IP Logged 
Spasibo for the link translator2, it looks like a fun read. I'll be sure to check this one out when my Russian improves a bit... :)

Edited by Teango on 25 February 2010 at 8:05pm

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version