Czech Republic
Joined 4769 days ago

3277 posts - 6779 votes 
Speaks: Czech*, FrenchC2, EnglishC1
Studies: Spanish, German, Italian

Message 9 of 12
26 July 2011 at 5:05pm | IP Logged 
USEFULNESS
Latin is the base of medical terminology. Some nations use the medical Latin as it is, some, such as English, changed parts of the words, pronunciation and threw away the grammar.

CULTURE
There is not only the church music. Some modern music bands use latin as well. They are either reviving old church songs, or medieval music, or using latin in new texts.

Here is link to a blog focused on Latin in Heavy Metal http://heavylatin.blogspot.com/
and to some exemples of music with latin lyrics http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_songs_with_Latin_lyrics

PRONUNCIATION
While there is an accepted Classical Pronunciation, you might (and most probably will) find huge differences between the Classical Pronunciation of speakers of different native languages. The good thing is, none of your pronunciation mistakes is going to offend any native speakers.

Edited by Cavesa on 26 July 2011 at 5:14pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

Suzumiya
Diglot
Groupie
VenezuelaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4653 days ago

43 posts - 64 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, English
Studies: Japanese

Message 10 of 12
21 March 2013 at 4:26am | IP Logged 
The profile is great. Although I would only like to say that you can actually speak Latin. Not only in the Church but also on Latin forums, Latin blogs and at universities where Latin is taught you can use it in the oral form. The Vatican gave Latin all the words it didn't have before, i.e. the modern concepts such as computer, petrol, electricity and a big etc. At my university, for instance, some of the teachers who got graduated from the philology school do speak Latin fluently. All we need to make Latin a living language again is to raise at least one child with Latin as their mother tongue (plus another one, of course). Latin is not really dead! :)

Edited by Suzumiya on 21 March 2013 at 4:26am

2 persons have voted this message useful

Elexi
United Kingdom
Joined 5325 days ago

938 posts - 1839 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: French, German, Latin

Message 11 of 12
21 March 2013 at 10:50am | IP Logged 
'Latin becomes really useful for people studying Roman Catholic theology and history.
Many important Catholic texts were written in Latin and you really need this language to
go anywhere in this science.'

Its not just Roman Catholics - Luther, Calvin, Zwingli, Beza and most pre-Enlightenment
Protestant theologians wrote most of their work in Latin. Much of which has never been
translated - how about: '... studying Christian theology and history, especially Roman
Catholic theology'?    
1 person has voted this message useful

Iversen
Super Polyglot
Denmark
berejst.dk
Joined 6463 days ago

9078 posts - 16473 votes 
Speaks: Danish*, French, English, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Dutch, Swedish, Esperanto, Romanian, Catalan
Studies: Afrikaans, Greek, Norwegian, Russian, Serbian, Icelandic, Latin, Irish, Lowland Scots, Indonesian, Polish, Croatian
Personal Language Map

Message 12 of 12
21 March 2013 at 1:05pm | IP Logged 
Spelling: Just as there are different ways to pronounce Latin, there are two different spelling systems to take into consideration. In Classical Latin "v" and "j" didn't exist, and therefore purists still use "u" and "i" instead. However the Medieval system with "v" and "j" is widely used in textbooks and other materials, and you will find it even in non-scholarly editions of Classical texts. Besides you should be aware that classical inscriptions in their original form can be almost incomprehensible due to the extensive use of abbreviations.

Edited by Iversen on 21 March 2013 at 1:08pm

3 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 12 messages over 2 pages: << Prev 1

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version