United States
teango.wordpress.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5375 days ago

2210 posts - 3734 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Russian
Studies: Hawaiian, French, Toki Pona

Message 17 of 23
06 December 2010 at 3:26am | IP Logged 
Great to have you back, aloysius, and best of luck with French this month! :) :)
1 person has voted this message useful

aloysius
Triglot
Winner TAC 2010 & 2012
SwedenRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6059 days ago

226 posts - 291 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English, German
Studies: French, Greek, Italian, Russian

Message 18 of 23
12 December 2010 at 10:57pm | IP Logged 
Busy, busy, busy, busy.

How I long for Christmas and (hopefully) being able to sneak away and do some serious reading.

Not much to log this week but still some promising tendencies.

It began a week ago when I was hurrying to my morning bus and accidentally shook my IPod into a random track of Bonjour tristesse that I hadn’t listened to before. It turned out I could follow along pretty well! Which reminded me of having been through a similar phase with audiobooks in German and English. Not understanding every sentence, but keep going, just put in the hours and I will get certainly get there.

This week I have managed to squeeze in about 8 hours of listening to excerpts of various books. New material as well as old buddies. Stupeur et tremblements was the easiest one. Apart from that I did two hours of L(Sw)-R(Fr) of Ensemble, c’est tout. Anki: 4.5 hours. It all adds up to 14.5 hours, which is much better than expected. But, as I said, mainly listening, which is useful, but not as efficient as L-R.

Regarding SRS I’m not sure it’s worth the effort, but I will continue doing it for a few weeks and then decide.

Thanks a lot Teango for your encouraging words! Seems like the whole team is trying to come to terms with how to tackle that big Russian bear. I’m sure tempted to have a go at it again. Can’t stay away long now. But as for now I’m immensely enjoying my French.

aloysius
Triglot
Winner TAC 2010 & 2012
Joined 6059 days ago

226 posts - 291 votes 

Message 19 of 23
19 December 2010 at 5:27pm | IP Logged 
This week I’ve been sleeping a lot, trying to fight back a bad cold. So it’s very fortunate that this has coincided with my listening comprehension reaching a level, where I can just lie in the dark, benefitting from listening to native podcasts. I don’t want to exaggerate, but it’s a great feeling finally being able to go all-French-some-of-the-time if I want to. Reading simple novels without a dictionary seems to work as well; although I need to increase my reading speed (comes with practice I know). I must say that I regard this small leap as unexpected as well as undeserved, since I have neglected my French altogether for most of the year.

L(Fr)-R(Fr) Delerm 2 h, Gavalda 2 h, L(Sw)-R(Fr) Gavalda 1 h. Reading Simenon 2h. Listening to RFI podcasts 5 h. Anki: a lousy 30 min. All in all 12.5 h.

aloysius
Triglot
Winner TAC 2010 & 2012
Joined 6059 days ago

226 posts - 291 votes 

Message 20 of 23
27 December 2010 at 8:47pm | IP Logged 
So far this month I have done a little French every day! This is an encouraging habit that I intend to bring with me into 2011.

Last week I listened to Le petit prince (2 h) and did 4.5 h of Simenon L(Ge)-R(Fr). No Anki though…

I have also picked up Russish ohne Mühe again, revising it from scratch up to lesson 18 took me 4 h. I didn’t even bother listening to the audio. I’ve heard those lessons so many times now that I hear the voices in my head as soon as I start reading the sentences. And I spent 2 h on Roots of the Russian Language. The idea is that studying some Russian morphology will pay off when I start doing some serious L-R next year.

M. Medialis
Diglot
TAC 2010 Winner
Sweden
Joined 6176 days ago

397 posts - 508 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English
Studies: Russian, Japanese, French

Message 21 of 23
28 December 2010 at 12:54am | IP Logged 
aloysius wrote:
So far this month I have done a little French every day! This is an encouraging habit that I intend to bring with me into 2011.

Wow. That's excellent! :)

aloysius wrote:
The idea is that studying some Russian morphology will pay off when I start doing some serious L-R next year.

I wish you the best of luck. Only a few days left and the new year is here. :D

Teango
Triglot
Winner TAC 2010 & 2012
United States
teango.wordpress.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5375 days ago

2210 posts - 3734 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Russian
Studies: Hawaiian, French, Toki Pona

Message 22 of 23
28 December 2010 at 4:13am | IP Logged 
aloysius wrote:
The idea is that studying some Russian morphology will pay off when I start doing some serious L-R next year.

So funny you mention this now...I was only just discussing the lack of morphology in my studies last night, and how a little knowledge of prefixes and suffixes can go a long way in helping to identify word stems and best-guess new words! :) At the moment I just note down things freely regarding morphology, grammar and pronunciation whilst studying (i.e. just one note per session), and then return to them later on. However I'm not really sure of the best way to go about it more formally - any ideas?

Edited by Teango on 28 December 2010 at 4:15am

aloysius
Triglot
Winner TAC 2010 & 2012
Joined 6059 days ago

226 posts - 291 votes 

Message 23 of 23
28 December 2010 at 8:38pm | IP Logged 
M. Medialis wrote:

I wish you the best of luck. Only a few days left and the new year is here. :D

I wish you the same! I wonder what you will come up with next year ... BTW, I think I'll have a go at that song scriptorium technique of yours. Sounds exciting and rewarding.

@Teango

Yes, it does feel a bit lonely out there in unknown Slavic territory without the Germanic and Latin-Romance friends as old, reliable crutches. So my plan is a few weeks of Assimil and morphology building as a bottom-up complement in preparation for the top-down approach of L-R. I read M. Medialis account of how he just plunged right in and successfully got away with it, so my approach makes me feel like a sissy in comparison…

However, I hope this will give me the foundation I need. Since I had Roots of the Russian Language collecting dust on my book shelf, I figured I might just as well use it. It does cover prefixes, suffixes and what’s in between (i.e. the most common roots). I’m not sure if I should do it hardcore and actually try to learn them all (by SRS?) or just read a few pages every day, hoping that enough of it will stick.

This discussion contains 23 messages over 3 pages: << Prev 1 2

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version