Australia
Joined 6477 days ago

495 posts - 599 votes 
Speaks: English*, Hungarian
Studies: French, German

Message 81 of 100
18 March 2010 at 10:37pm | IP Logged 
March 19, 2010

Ezen a héten nagyon beteg voltam, ezért nem sok tanultom. Elmentem az orvoshoz, s õ mondta hogy csak kell aludnom. Tegnap este nem tudtam dolgozni. Nagyon fajt a fejem, meg a torkom, és nagyon fáradt voltam. Szerintem tegnap körülbelül 20 óra aludtam! De, valahogy, megint hallgattom a második cd-t a Michel Thomas German-ból.

Ma reggel, egy kicsit jobban érzem magám. Remélem hogy most a legrosszabb elvitt!

---

This week, I was very sick, so I didn't study much. I went to the doctor and he said that I needed to sleep. Last night I could not work. My head hurt, and my throat, and I was very tired. Yesterday I think I slept about 20 hours! But, somehow, I listened again to the second CD of the Michel Thomas German.

This morning, I feel a little better. I hope that the worst has passed!
1 person has voted this message useful

Katie
Diglot
Australia
Joined 6477 days ago

495 posts - 599 votes 

Message 82 of 100
20 March 2010 at 12:52pm | IP Logged 
March 20, 2010

Okay, I thought I'd write a quick update for my activities today. I feel I managed to make a decent amount of progress, given that I am still recovering from my lovely little illness...

German

I began listening to Michel Thomas' 3rd CD today. I have a feeling I had started it a while ago, but never finished. It was in fact by accident that I listened to CD 2 again this week - in amongst fever, I thought I was actually up to CD 2. However, I do think it was a good thing, as it was easier to cope with and I was able to listen to the whole thing in basically one sitting.

Perhaps it's just me, but the 3rd CD seems to take quite a bit of a jump from CD2 - it could just be that my brain is not 'strong' enough yet, so I'll wait and see. I'd say I did around 20 minutes of German today.

I haven't been using the Teach Yourself book this week. Not for any other reason than illness has prevented me from actually having the ability to focus and read. The audio program was a Godsend, as soon as I was well enough to actually process what I was hearing!

I'm not entirely sure, but I am considering to continue with Michel Thomas to the end before I continue with Teach Yourself or any other programs. I'll decide shortly on what I feel is the best move forward. Any suggestions are welcome.

Hungarian

Other than watching a couple of DVDs whilst I've been sick(and admittedly, sleeping through a fair amount of them), I haven't done much work in Hungarian.

It was nice to feel well enough today to actually get some work done, and I happily spent a good 2 hours chatting on the internet with my Hungarian friends and in the meantime completing grammatical activities from my new Hungarian grammar book.

I'm currently up to page 28 of the grammar book. So far, I am very familiar with the topics covered. I do however, like to have the new activities to test myself. I'm also enjoying the fact that everything is bilingual. So even the most intricate grammatical explanations are provided first in Hungarian and then in English (so you can check your understanding if you like).

Well that is about it for the moment. It's almost 10pm here though, so I dare say I won't be doing any more language activities tonight. In fact, I bought myself a treat of the last Harry Potter book (which I haven't read yet) - yes, I know it's in English and not Hungarian. My bad. Anyway, I'm going to treat myself to curling up in bed with a cup of tea and get underway reading this book! :)

Goodnight all!

Kerrie
United States
justpaste.it/Kerrie2
Joined 5154 days ago

1232 posts - 1740 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish

Message 83 of 100
20 March 2010 at 6:29pm | IP Logged 
Katie - I would suggest doing the Michel Thomas course all the way through, then working through the Teach Yourself book. MT works on such a different principle, and I think his process works better without other input.

I'm glad to hear you're feeling better. I just got over the flu myself, and it's nice to be able to function again. =)

Katie
Diglot
Australia
Joined 6477 days ago

495 posts - 599 votes 

Message 84 of 100
20 March 2010 at 11:16pm | IP Logged 
[QUOTE=Kerrie] MT works on such a different principle, and I think his process works better without other input.
QUOTE]

Kerrie, this is the general feeling I have gotten. I have nothing specific to point to, it just feels as though the two don't 'match'. I enjoy the Teach Yourself book immensely - just as I did with Hungarian - but at this particular point in time, the audio version of study is better suited for me.

Thanks for the input :) And yes, functioning again is a blessing! I'm glad you're also feeling better - I would not wish this on anyone!

jessikt
Triglot
Groupie
Austria
ichestudiolangues.co
Joined 5593 days ago

98 posts - 102 votes 
Speaks: English*, GermanB1, French
Studies: SpanishA2, Swedish

Message 85 of 100
21 March 2010 at 11:32pm | IP Logged 
Hi Katie!
I'm sorry I haven't been around much lately but that will change soon! I just wanted to say to keep up the good
work and I am very much still a part of our team! :)

Katie
Diglot
Australia
Joined 6477 days ago

495 posts - 599 votes 

Message 86 of 100
22 March 2010 at 2:41am | IP Logged 
Hi jessikt,

No worries - we've all been really busy - I understand completely! And thanks for the encouragement. I've been feeling really slack in the last 3 weeks, but I've got a lot going on and I just need to balance it out. I'll get there eventually!

Good luck to you too! I look forward to further updates on your progress!

Katie
Diglot
Australia
Joined 6477 days ago

495 posts - 599 votes 

Message 87 of 100
05 April 2010 at 11:51pm | IP Logged 
Hi! :) Just wanted to let everyone know that I'm still here, still alive!

We're just about to start the competitive season for my gymnasts, so I've been VERY busy preparing them! I will try to come back and write again shortly though! :)

Kerrie
United States
justpaste.it/Kerrie2
Joined 5154 days ago

1232 posts - 1740 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish

Message 88 of 100
06 April 2010 at 6:20am | IP Logged 
Hi, Katie! Glad to see you're still alive! Isn't strange how life is always getting in the way of things? =)

Even when you're busy like you are now, do you still get opportunities to speak Hungarian? It sounded like you've got lots of opportunities with friends, so hopefully you can at least continue some that way!

This discussion contains 100 messages over 13 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version