Australia
Joined 6500 days ago

495 posts - 599 votes 
Speaks: English*, Hungarian
Studies: French, German

Message 17 of 100
09 January 2010 at 12:39pm | IP Logged 
Jan 9, 2010

I'll try to keep today's log shorter and sweeter I think, as I didn't really do anything too exciting.

I have somehow managed to misplaced my Hungarian Harry Potter book - so I am unable to begin reading and listening at the same time. I will try to find it tomorrow. Of course, in the meantime, I'll continue with my GS (Geronimo Stilton) book.

I've also been reading a magazine a friend sent me, Blikk Nõkk Konyha magazin. I really like it, so I went online to see if I could subscribe. It is extremely cheap (around $1AUD per issue) and around $11AUD for a one year subscription. The only problem is that they did not openly advertise international posting. I have emailed them to find out about this. To be quite honest, anything up to $9 per issue postage would still be acceptable to me, as most magazines here in Australia are around the $10 mark anyway. Fingers crossed that they will allow it! If they do, probably to make the most of the postage, I will subscribe to one or two other similar magazines from them. All of these particular magazines are around that $1 mark.

Other than that, I don't really have anything else exciting to share! I'm not as organised as I'd like to be - not just in my language studies but in general. I'm also not even remotely motivated about returning to work... :/ Wish I had more time off, but preferably with some income!! :P

SRS - 0hr
LISTENING – 1hr
READING - 0.5hr
SPEAKING/WRITING - 0.75hr
GRAMMAR/CLASSES – 0hr

TOTAL IMMERSION - 25.883hr

CURRENT ANKI TOTAL - 813

1 person has voted this message useful

jessikt
Triglot
Groupie
Austria
ichestudiolangues.co
Joined 5616 days ago

98 posts - 102 votes 
Speaks: English*, GermanB1, French
Studies: SpanishA2, Swedish

Message 18 of 100
09 January 2010 at 9:47pm | IP Logged 
Hi Katie!

I was wondering, do you have any recommendations for online resources for Hungarian? Especially for beginners?
How did you start learning Hungarian? What courses do you recommend? :)

Also, I live about 15 minutes from the Hungarian border in Austria, and my boyfriend's family is from Hungary, so I
have access to a lot of resources! Since you live in Australia I can imagine you have a bit of a hard time finding
resources! If you ever wanted me to send you anything, let me know!

Katie
Diglot
Australia
Joined 6500 days ago

495 posts - 599 votes 

Message 19 of 100
09 January 2010 at 10:14pm | IP Logged 
That's very kind of you jessikt! Thanks a lot!

Wow! You are so lucky to be so close to Hungary and even moreso to be linked to a family! Quite honestly, the best thing for my studies has been the constant relationship with Hungarians. It makes the learning process so much easier and so much more fun! Be sure to use it! :) I've been told I have an almost unrecognisable accent when I speak, and I honestly believe it's because of the time I have spent with native speakers.

As for resources... the very first resource I used for my self study was Teach Yourself Hungarian. I woult still recommend this one - I did enjoy it and I feel it moved in quite a logical order - and I still refer back to it now.

mayarora.com is a great online resource too - with worksheets, etc to help your studies. The Pimsleur cds were good for pronunciation and word order too. I only came across these well into my studies, so I didn't learn any new vocabulary from them - but perhaps they would be useful earlier on?

I guess it really depends on how much you want to invest into your learning. With any luck, being so close to the Hungarian border you'll not only find resources to buy, but libraries should be a fantastic opportunity!!

On page 1 of my log, I wrote a full list of the resources that I have used in my studies. There is one other book that I highly recommend, if you can get a hold of it. It's the Beginner Dictionary. An EXTREMELY useful book! It has very easy to understand grammar at the back and a lot of very useful vocab. I'm good at learning with pictures, so it proved a great help for me.

Good Luck! And feel free to ask me any questions any time! I'd be happy to help you out.

And thank you so much for your offer to get things from Hungary for me! I appreciate that, and may even take you up on the offer at some stage! :)

Clintaroo
Diglot
Australia
Joined 6653 days ago

189 posts - 201 votes 
Speaks: English*, Japanese
Studies: Tagalog, Indonesian

Message 20 of 100
10 January 2010 at 5:42pm | IP Logged 
Hi Katie,

This thread is inspiring. I'm constantly amazed at how much passion you have developed for Hungarian.

It's great to see that you may move to Hungary in late 2010! It must be so exciting for you, for that dream to come to fruition!

All the best and keep it up,

Clint

Katie
Diglot
Australia
Joined 6500 days ago

495 posts - 599 votes 

Message 21 of 100
10 January 2010 at 11:33pm | IP Logged 
Hey thanks Clint! I appreciate that!

Fingers crossed that everything goes well and my plan goes ahead! At the moment, I'm not entirely sure how I'm going to make it work, but I'll give it my best! :)

And how are your studies going these days?

Cheers,

Katie

Katie
Diglot
Australia
Joined 6500 days ago

495 posts - 599 votes 

Message 22 of 100
10 January 2010 at 11:39pm | IP Logged 
Jan 10, 2010

Just the totals for today... I spent a large portion of my day planning my food & exercise (with related reading and research), followed by an afternoon/evening visit to my friends' house. I was there for about 4.5 hours but only counted 1.5 hrs of listening and 1 hr of speaking.. just to be safe. Mind you, most of my speaking was playing "families" with the 4 year old's Dora the Explorer doll house. LOL It's okay, it was good everyday family speaking practice LOL

SRS - 0.1hr
LISTENING – 2.5hr
READING - 0.1hr
SPEAKING/WRITING - 1hr
GRAMMAR/CLASSES – 0hr

TOTAL IMMERSION - 29.583hr

CURRENT ANKI TOTAL - 813

Katie
Diglot
Australia
Joined 6500 days ago

495 posts - 599 votes 

Message 23 of 100
11 January 2010 at 11:26pm | IP Logged 
Jan 11, 2010

It's becoming quite the habit to update my log in the mornings, it seems!

I was 'back at work' working from home yesterday and spent the ENTIRE day sitting at my computer and working. The complete lack of physical activity also meant that I couldn't sleep until around 1am.Yuck.

So, I listened to radio for a little while yesterday, did my SRSing and then after I stopped working, I watched a bit of a movie.

I have been writing posts in Hungarian lately and have been considering writing a blog in only Hungarian about my studies etc. Nothing special and not with a specific purpose for millions of people to read it - just for the language practice and HOPEFULLY someone will correct me LOL

Or maybe I should just write these posts in Hungarian AND English!

SRS - 0.1hr
LISTENING – 3.5hr
READING - 0.25hr
SPEAKING/WRITING - 0.25hr
GRAMMAR/CLASSES – 0hr

TOTAL IMMERSION - 33.683hr (target in 11 days, 22hrs)

CURRENT ANKI TOTAL - 813

Katie
Diglot
Australia
Joined 6500 days ago

495 posts - 599 votes 

Message 24 of 100
12 January 2010 at 12:50pm | IP Logged 
Jan 12, 2010

I'm feeling incredibly motivated tonight. I just met a new person through an exchange website. He is a native Hungarian and we just had a 1 hour discussion through Skype. It was great! It felt so good to be able to speak with someone. I only had a couple of instances where I didn't really understand, but mostly I worked things out through context. It was really fun! And I was so proud of myself! :) Finally, I had a real chance to see that my work is paying off and I am improving!

Other than that, I finished watching the movie I started last night, listened to some audio book and did my Anki repetitions (I seriously need to add some new words/phrases in soon!). I was again, working from home today, so it was difficult to do too much. I would have been able to listen to more radio today, only I think we are at our download limit just now, so I have to hold off for a few days on the radio listening!

Tomorrow I plan to spend the bulk of the day with my friends, so fingers crossed there will be a lot of conversation happening there! I'm feeling quite confident after tonight, so hopefully I will remain really confident tomorrow! :)

Current Stats are sitting at:

SRS - 0.1hr
LISTENING – 1.25hr
READING - 0hr
SPEAKING/WRITING - 1hr
GRAMMAR/CLASSES – 0.5hr

TOTAL IMMERSION - 36.533

CURRENT ANKI TOTAL - 813

However, I would like to read a little tonight and will hopefully be tackling it earlier (I think my attempts to read have been failing because I have been leaving it too late and I've been too tired to cope beyond 10 minutes before I have to go to sleep). I will aim for half an hour, but quite honestly, 15 minutes would be fine for tonight. I'm really happy with my effort on Skype, so nothing could drag me down right now! I'll update the stats, if needed, in the morning.

This discussion contains 100 messages over 13 pages: << Prev 1 24 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version