Australia
Joined 6657 days ago

189 posts - 201 votes 
Speaks: English*, Japanese
Studies: Tagalog, Indonesian

Message 25 of 100
13 January 2010 at 10:49pm | IP Logged 
Hi Katie,

You mentioned in a thread that you were disappointed by the Hungarian podcasts available on iTunes. I was looking for some Tagalog podcasts from SBS Radio here in Australia. They should also have a Hungarian program available for download even though I couldn't find it at the iTunes store. If they've got languages like Armenian, Bulgarian, and Albanian, I figure they ought to have Hungarian too. Try this link below if you haven't already:

http://www.sbs.com.au/podcasts/yourlanguage/hungarian/

And of course there is the regular SBS Hungarian website!

http://www.sbs.com.au/yourlanguage/hungarian

- Clint
1 person has voted this message useful

Katie
Diglot
Australia
Joined 6504 days ago

495 posts - 599 votes 
Speaks: English*, Hungarian
Studies: French, German

Message 26 of 100
13 January 2010 at 11:30pm | IP Logged 
Jan 13, 2010

Amazing! My internet has slowed right down as apparently we have reached our download limit and all day yesterday I was unable to access this forum. I waited 20 minutes and still one page wouldn't download... thankfully now I can do a little, cos I was going crazy yesterday!

I had a reasonably good day yesterday (and I think it's because of being unable to use the internet! ;)). I totalled 5.25hrs.

I did a lot of listening yesterday. Actually, I picked up my Gilmore Girls DVDs again. I haven't watched them in some time. Season 2 is available in Hungarian. I watched probably 3 episodes throughout the day. You think they talk fast in English??? WOW! You should hear them in Hungarian! LOL

I've almost finished working through the entire Teach Yourself book with grammar. Once I've finished it, I'll go through Colloquial. I'm desperately waiting my return to work so that I can buy the one advertised on the magyarora site. It looks to have literally hundreds of activities! I think it would be quite good to set one "worksheet" per day or 2 days (depending on their size & content). But anyway - it's just a wish for now! In reality, despite returning to work on 27th Jan, I've a feeling it won't be until end of February some time before I can order it. Unfortunately 2 months of no work takes a hefty bite out of your savings and I've got some making up to do!

Anyway, before I go too far and lose my internet connection, here are my totals:

ANKI 0.0hr
LISTENING 4.0hr
READING 0.25hr
GRAMMAR 0.75hr
SPEAKING/WRITING 0.25hr

TOTAL IMMERSION HOURS for 2010: 42.783

Katie
Diglot
Australia
Joined 6504 days ago

495 posts - 599 votes 

Message 27 of 100
13 January 2010 at 11:30pm | IP Logged 
Clintaroo wrote:
Hi Katie,

Try this link below if you haven't already:

http://www.sbs.com.au/podcasts/yourlanguage/hungarian/

And of course there is the regular SBS Hungarian website!

http://www.sbs.com.au/yourlanguage/hungarian

- Clint

Thanks Clint! I'll give them a try!

Katie
Diglot
Australia
Joined 6504 days ago

495 posts - 599 votes 

Message 28 of 100
15 January 2010 at 11:11am | IP Logged 
Jan 14, 2010 & Jan 15, 2010

So, the computer saga continues (apparently until the 19th), so I'm not able to access online radio at the moment.. and I have to say that I desperated NEED to get some new Hungarian music. Purely because it's only about 2 hours worth of Hungarian music and then my only other option is to either listen to audio books (very difficult when I'm working) or listen to classical music. I don't mind classical music - but I doubt it is helping my Hungarian! LOL

Anyway, the last two days were pretty poor. I was at my friends' house yesterday, but I had to do some work - and it was stuff that couldn't be discussed in Hungarian at this point... and then I had a meeting with two monolingual English people from work to thoroughly explain some planning details... closely followed by taking a class (in English of course)... which of course, left me with very little time to spend in my language immersion.

I wouldn't count anything much of yesterday's visit. I did hear the language, I did speak a little, but I don't think it was substantial enough to count it in my log. I did watch another couple of episodes of Gilmore Girls though.

Today I think I was just out of sorts... I wasn't sure if I was here or there, and I floundered a lot of the day. Not with studying - but with getting things done around the house, sorting out my finances (or lack thereof at the moment and how the heck to recover from it). I was doing some job searching, but of course, given that I can only work mornings and only want to do around 20-25 hours a week (this would already take me to working 50+ hours a week), it makes it somewhat challenging to find decent work. They seem to either want you for only 7 or 8 hours a week (pointless for me),. or 30 hours (will kill me)... and anything that offers what I'm after, only offers it as evening work, or asks that you're available for 3 full days each week - which I can't do. Anyway... this isn't the place for this! LOL So I'll get back to my language learning...

So today, I've done some grammar work. I'm actually going to continue with the grammar tonight until I've finished the Teach Yourself book. I would also like to watch another episode of Gilmore Girls. Other than that, not much action on the language learning front.

Actually, for the next week I don't imagine there will be too much studying happening (or immersion). I'll be running some training clinics mid next week, and I've only now realised how close it is... and the fact that I have a number of routines to choreograph as well as planning out the trainings. Not to mention working in the office from Tuesday on, to help with sign-ons.

So, if I don't really come here to update, don't worry - I will come back eventually! I'll be trying to do what I can - just can't make any guarantees on how much it will be. Anyway... I'm just going to combine the totals for the last two days. I'll put what I've done so far, and then I'll edit it tomorrow (or whenever I'm next on) with what I do for the rest of the evening.

ANKI 0.0hr
LISTENING 1.5hr
READING 0hr
GRAMMAR 0.5hr
SPEAKING/WRITING 0hr

TOTAL IMMERSION HOURS for 2010: 44.783

Katie
Diglot
Australia
Joined 6504 days ago

495 posts - 599 votes 

Message 29 of 100
17 January 2010 at 1:28am | IP Logged 
Jan 16, 2010

I only found two books at the booksale. They are two childrens books but one of them is a bilingual book with one page English and one page Hungarian. I like the idea and will read some today - but I have soooo much work to do right now, that first I must hurry off to get all of it done!

ANKI 0.0hr
LISTENING 2.5hr
READING 0.5hr
GRAMMAR 0hr
SPEAKING/WRITING 3hr

TOTAL IMMERSION HOURS for 2010: 51.633

Katie
Diglot
Australia
Joined 6504 days ago

495 posts - 599 votes 

Message 30 of 100
19 January 2010 at 9:45pm | IP Logged 
Hi everyone!

I just wanted to let you know that I'm still alive! Apart from a small amount of speaking and a small amount of reading, I'm working A LOT this week. All day and into the evening... which doesn't leave me much time for anything else! Oh, and I'm exhausted because I've gone from holidays in airconditioning, to physical work NOT in airconditioning. The heat is worse than the actual work!

Anyway, just thought I would let everyone know! I have two or three more days working like this, and then I should be back to writing my daily log :)

Katie
Diglot
Australia
Joined 6504 days ago

495 posts - 599 votes 

Message 31 of 100
23 January 2010 at 12:37am | IP Logged 
Hi Everyone!

I'm here and alive and well! And yes, I've been continuing my studies somewhat, I just haven't had time to update!

So, as I mentioned in my previous post, I was working quite a lot this week. My normal weeks should not be like this - as I was working in the office, followed by running holiday clinics, followed by coaching (which is what I normally do). So basically I was working 8am to 8pm. It was exhausting! Especially in this heat!

Anyway, while I was doing this, I would say for 3 days I did barely more than perhaps half an hour of listening each of those days (I'm not including it in my totals). HOWEVER, this week, I met quite a few Hungarians on Skype and so have been chatting with them, and I have been doing some reading as well as watching some DVDs.

I would estimate my immersion over the last week (not including today) as follows:

ANKI 0.0hr
LISTENING 3hr
READING 1hr
GRAMMAR 0hr
SPEAKING/WRITING 4hr

TOTAL IMMERSION HOURS for 2010: 59.633

I will update again tonight or tomorrow morning, for today's activities.

I have a few new things going on at the moment. Firstly, in terms of study, I now have 3 new DVDs to watch, which I am very happy about and look forward to watching!

I am also trying very hard to be nicely organised for my return to work on 27th January. I want to cook and freeze my daily meals/snacks so that I do not have any excuses not to eat very healthily (I am aiming to eat low GI). I am intending this year to really improve my health, so that I feel well and energetic all the time. It is important that I do this, because I work with children and if I allow my immune system to drop, then I will get sick a lot. Unfortunately, I worked too much and stressed too much last year, and dropped my immune system, resulting in me being sick almost constantly - or at least feeling terrible.

Don't get me wrong, I don't eat terribly. Actually, quite the contrary - when I am unorganised, I don't really eat much at all! And I think this is terrible for your health too! So, I have lots of yummy recipes chosen - I just have to get in and cook them! I figure, if I can make myself cook 1 or 2 recipes each day this weekend, I will have them all done in time to go back to work :) At least that is the plan!

I've also joined a "BootCamp" which will start on 1st February. Very exciting! I haven't done anything like this before, so it will be very interesting! I'm sure I'll be challenged! LOL Anyway, it's going to be fun... eventually when I regain the required level of fitness! :P

The reason I mention all of this is because I think it plays into my studies. Because, if I can pre-organise all of my food and I have set times to exercise, (I have times scheduled each week for certain things such as family, paperwork etc too) then I can safely spend as much time as I please on my language studies without feeling guilty or in detriment to other things in my life :)

Anyway, blah blah, I need to stop 'talking' and get to work on my cooking! :)

Bye for now!

Katie
Diglot
Australia
Joined 6504 days ago

495 posts - 599 votes 

Message 32 of 100
23 January 2010 at 2:18pm | IP Logged 
Jan 23, 2010

It has been a big day today, and I have to say that I'm exhausted!

Today, I spent time watching some DVDs and some chatting (writing) on Skype.

The highlight was a chat with someone who I met through Skype. He is studying English (although he speaks exceptionally well, so I doubt he is still 'studying' per se). He sent me some articles and we went through and translated it together and he explained any grammar and vocab that I was unsure of. It was really REALLY helpful actually! He's a very nice person and I really enjoyed chatting with him!

Anyway, I'm about to go to bed with another DVD playing - however I am sure that I will fall asleep within a few minutes!

ANKI 0.0hr
LISTENING 2.17hr
READING 1hr
GRAMMAR 1hr
SPEAKING/WRITING 1hr

TOTAL IMMERSION HOURS for 2010: 64.799

This discussion contains 100 messages over 13 pages: << Prev 1 2 35 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version