New Zealand
Joined 6097 days ago

851 posts - 1074 votes 
2 sounds
Speaks: English*, German, French

Message 57 of 100
21 February 2010 at 10:29am | IP Logged 
Katie wrote:
I will now hunt for a grammatical activity book like the one I have for Hungarian, and I am also trying to get a copy of a picture dictionary that I have for Hungarian and absolutely adore! With those few items, I'm confident I can make some decent progress.

Listening items are quite easily accessible. I have the TY audio, plus this new Berlitz I bought, plus there seems to be quite a few podcasts available in German. The library has some audio books, etc... so there are quite a few choices out there. And it is relatively easy to come across DVDs here in Australia that have German on them - so I should be able to start on listening activities fairly quickly - I even had a few at home! I'm about to hunt on eBay etc for some children's books too... can't wait to start my collection!

I don't know if you're already aware of this, but there's a visual thematic dictionary by DK German and which I own for French. I've found it very helpful for learning common everyday items that can be otherwise difficult to come across regularly in texts.

http://bit.ly/9tdm2f

As for listening resources, I recommend LingQ.com for building up vocabulary and comprehension. Probably not right now while you're still working through TY, but certainly once you've finished that, you could check out LingQ's German library. They have hours of articles, conversations etc. with full transcripts. I used it myself for French and found it very helpful.
1 person has voted this message useful

Katie
Diglot
Australia
Joined 6499 days ago

495 posts - 599 votes 
Speaks: English*, Hungarian
Studies: French, German

Message 58 of 100
21 February 2010 at 11:33am | IP Logged 
Awesome, thanks ChristopherB! :)

Katie
Diglot
Australia
Joined 6499 days ago

495 posts - 599 votes 

Message 59 of 100
24 February 2010 at 1:00am | IP Logged 
22-23 February, 2010

Hungarian

I've been reviewing FSI for Hungarian at the moment, just doing the drills and activities. I want to finish reviewing Level 1 and then begin to work on Level 2. I actually have never done Level 2, so at least it will be new material.

At the moment I'm up to Unit 5. It's not taking too long to go through everything at this stage, so ideally I would like to finish up to Chapter 12 by Monday, but we'll see how we go!

If I get a chance, I also wouldn't mind to keep working through the Easy Readers. I have done a few of these, but I lost motivation with them early in the part. I will just start from the beginning again I think.

German

I'm on Chapter 4 of TY German. The last couple of days have been busy and thus not really a lot of time to work on both languages. I dedicated most of 23rd just to Hungarian.

Tomorrow I will try to complete Chapter 4, and maybe listen to a little of Michel Thomas.

Katie
Diglot
Australia
Joined 6499 days ago

495 posts - 599 votes 

Message 60 of 100
25 February 2010 at 11:08pm | IP Logged 
24-25 February, 2010

German

I have now completed Teach Yourself Chapter 4. It has a mini 'exam' to summarise the first 4 chapters and to make sure you are ready to move on to the next stage. I would like to try to sit this exam on 26 Feb, so that I can move on to Chapter 5. I'm still enjoying the TY format a lot more than other programs.

I'm still on Michel Thomas CD3. I haven't really listened to it in the last few days. I know this isn't ideal, but it has really been a matter of time lately. Again, I'll try to get some done on 26th, but not sure if I'll get there.

Hungarian

Almost finished Chapter 6 of FSI Hungarian review. I'm looking forward to getting through it all and being able to start on Level 2. I may have to spend a little time on later levels, as I think there is some vocabulary that I previously felt unimportant and so didn't memorise, that I now need... I'll keep playing it by ear! My initial plan to finish the 12 chapter review by Monday may not be quite so easy - as I have lot of social things on this weekend (I planned this deliberately because at the moment, I spend most of my weekend working - so I want to have some fun).

It was difficult to get much more than this done in the last two days. Fingers crossed I'll get a bit more done on the weekend!

RavaszRóka
Australia
Joined 5164 days ago

5 posts - 5 votes
Speaks: English*
Studies: Hungarian

Message 61 of 100
28 February 2010 at 1:38pm | IP Logged 
Hi Katie,
My name is Matt, I am an 18yr old student from Melbourne, in AUSTRALIA!! :D
I have been learning Hungarian since november (beginning of university holidays) using a similar approach to you. My grandma is Hungarian and I decided to take up Hungarian as I have months of free time to learn, and I don't regret it one bit. :) I have fallen in love with the language, it is amazing, and I love the feeling of rocking to Hungarian tunes on my iPod while on the train. :D
I have several .pdf file books on my laptop that I didn't see listed in your post with your resources. I also have skype, perhaps we could pool our resources. :)
I thought I was the only Aussie learning Hungarian. :D
Sok sikert! :)

Katie
Diglot
Australia
Joined 6499 days ago

495 posts - 599 votes 

Message 62 of 100
28 February 2010 at 11:00pm | IP Logged 
Hi RavaszRóka! ( Interesting name, by the way! ;) )

I'm glad you chose to study Hungarian and even happier that you are enjoying it! I also love the language & a lot of the Hungarian culture aswell!

I've been studying Hungarian for about 3 or 4 years, but I would say that 2.5 years of that was spent fluffing about and not really doing much (looking at the books maybe once a week and thinking somehow I was going to magically learn the languaege LOL). About 1.5"ish" years ago, I finally decided to cut the crap and do this properly, as I'd decided that I wanted to be fluent in a minimum of 3 languages and to spend some of my time in Europe in the future. I also became a GodMother to a Hungarian boy, so I wanted to be serious about my commitment to him (I strongly feel that a deeper knowledge of his native language and culture is important for our relationship).

And thus my 'real' studies began. I have daily association with Hungarians, so it's quite easy for me to get some practice in. It also helps me in finding native resources, etc. As for study resources, I'd be interested to find out what books you have, but I am actually not studying from any books anymore. I aim to spend a few hours once a week on grammar, to really cement the concepts, but other than that, I learn by immersion now. I read as much as I can, listen to music & radio, watch TV and movies... all of the fun stuff, as I've reached that stage in my learning!

In saying that, every now and then I like to pull out the books and do some formal lessons from the books. At the moment, I'm running through FSI again, and I'll be starting Level 2 FSI as soon as possible (which I haven't done before). I'm not doing all of the drills etc at this point, so I'm actually enjoying the process for now. Definitely helps build confidence that I know most of the stuff too (the things I don't know are things I don't use, like the names of farm equipment, etc)!

I've also just begun my studies in German, so these days my time is split between Hungarian and German. I'm able to do this because I can study from the books with German and just use native materials for Hungarian. In a few weeks time I will be combining the two of them, by beginning my studies of German in the Hungarian language. Killing two birds with one stone!

There are actually a couple of people here on the site who are learning Hungarian, although I believe we are all at different degrees of our studies. If you do a search on the profiles you'll find a few, although that I know of, there are only 2 other people who are actually actively studying it.

Anyway, welcome to the forum and I look forward to hearing more about your studies! Let me know what level you're at, what you're studying from, and of course, if you have any questions etc I'd be more than happy to help where I can!

RavaszRóka
Australia
Joined 5164 days ago

5 posts - 5 votes
Speaks: English*
Studies: Hungarian

Message 63 of 100
01 March 2010 at 12:48am | IP Logged 
From your 3rd post, I have all those resources except FSI and I have a different dictionary.
Have you tried the new grammar workbook that is featured on the magyaróra website? I noticed you mentioned it and I was thinking of ordering it, so did you end up trying it?
I think Byki is good for making your own vocabulary lists, the lists certainly helped me a fair bit.

The other resources I have are:
Hungarian Essential Grammar - Carol Rounds (you mentioned this in the 3rd post, I have it as .pdf so I can send it if you haven't already gotten it)
Lingvosoft Suite
I also have some Hungarian books in .pdf format that contain 1000s of sentences with increasing complexity with translations next to each other. I found trying to solve the sentences myself really helps, both grammatically and with my (currently small) vocabulary. There are also hundreds of proverbs, questions and short stories, each with translation on the side. As well as some non-published papers from Hungarian universities which teach the grammar very well. I have about 20 or so of these random pdf files, very useful.

I admire you for learning 2 languages at once, especially when one of them is Hungarian! I would like to try Polish and German after I am fluent in Hungarian. As a results, I have already prepared many resources, so I have about 50 German eBooks. :D

Your Hungarian is more advanced than mine, but I am planning on catching up...eventually :D For example, the Hungarian news on TV is much too fast for me, but I can have basic text conversations, and read quite a bit as long as I have a dictionary, since I understand most of the grammar when I see it.

Good luok learning 2 languages, try to make sure your brain doesn't explode! :p

Katie
Diglot
Australia
Joined 6499 days ago

495 posts - 599 votes 

Message 64 of 100
01 March 2010 at 2:15am | IP Logged 
I have ordered the book from magyarora.com but it hasn't arrived yet. Apparently it takes 4-8 weeks to get here, so I'm expecting it to arrive towards the end of this month (fingers crossed!) I'll let you know how it is once I receive it!

Thanks for the offer, but I'm all good with the resources I have. I have seen the Carol Rounds grammar book, but I ended up choosing the Miklós Törkenczy book, as it suited my learning style a little better. I have never tried Lingvosoft before, but to be honest, I don't like to study at the computer.. I like to have books and things to work from.

If you would like a copy of the FSI books, they are free to download on the internet, just search for FSI and you'll find it :). They are quite useful, even if some of the language is 'old'. And with the drills, you can pick up grammar quite quickly.

BTW, if you just play lots of radio and tv, you'll start to distinguish between the words in the news. I always thought it was really fast too - but in actual fact, it has more to do with the fact that the words are about 20 times longer than English words (LOL slight exaggeration, but sounds good!), and it can be difficult to distinguish where a word starts and finishes! After listening for a while, this will become easier :)

This discussion contains 100 messages over 13 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 79 10 11 12 13  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version