RavaszRóka
Australia
Joined 5170 days ago

5 posts - 5 votes
Speaks: English*
Studies: Hungarian

Message 65 of 100
01 March 2010 at 11:24am | IP Logged 
Oh cool, I didn't know about the FSI thing, I will get it now! I use the word lists in the Miklos book when I am on the train but it doesn't contain all the grammar so I like the Carol Rounds grammar book better as a reference. But I have made my own summary notes of all the grammar myself, so I like them even better and don't use Carol Rounds any more. :)
I have seen a few Hungarian movies and I can understand the words they say if I know them, but the news is just impossible :D I live in Melbourne, there are 3 Hungarian TV shows on TV, 1 being the news which I can't understand, but I can understand some of the other 2 community televesion shows.
4-8 weeks is a very long time. Did you order it from the Amazon site? I look forward to reading your opinion on it, it is 3x more exepensive than all the other language books.
I have watched the movie Kontroll 3 times. :D I liked some other movies too but only watched them once.
There is also a lot of music that I enjoy listening to. :)
I'm sure you will have an amazing time being in Hungary and speaking Hungarian, the locals will love you. :)
1 person has voted this message useful

Katie
Diglot
Australia
Joined 6505 days ago

495 posts - 599 votes 
Speaks: English*, Hungarian
Studies: French, German

Message 66 of 100
01 March 2010 at 12:54pm | IP Logged 
Well, I'm hoping that they say 4-8 weeks just so that they can 'exceed expectations'- I really have no idea how long it'll take. And yes & yes - yes, I went through Amazon and YES it was really expensive!!! It ended up costing close to $50AUD.

Actually I was in a bookstore on the weekend and saw a German book similar to this (except it has 3 levels and comes with some sort of disc aswell) and it was $41.95. I really wanted to buy it, but decided that getting a 2 way dictionary would have to suffice my purchases from this paycheck! LOL But it's probably going to come out of my next paycheck! It was quite interesting because it had absolutely NO English in it whatsoever... I wonder how much English will be in this Hungarian book. Hopefully not much!

I think FSI really helped me with pronunciation etc, but it wasn't a format that I really liked at the time. Doing it how I have been lately - not doing all of the drills - has made it much more enjoyable. I wonder how long I'll stick to it this time! LOL

Oh, and I'm the same, I don't really refer to my grammar books etc anymore, unless there is something specific I want to look up. At one stage I tried to do a review of them, but that died out pretty quickly. LOL I wanted to get this new book because I think I would be more inclined to do some grammar work with some new activities. I have done all of the ones in the books I have, and just reading through them doesn't appeal to me.

As for TV, yeah, the news is pretty difficult. Nowadays, I know what's going on and can follow the story, but not the finer details (unless it's on a subject that I'm familiar with and know the vocab for). But there are some great DVDs to watch. Actually, if you can get any of the Disney DVDs with Hungarian, they are great to listen to. Admittedly, I don't mind, as I quite like to sit and watch a cute cartoon after a hard week - helps me relax... but the voices on them sound very nice, and the language used is a little bit simpler (as it's aimed at children) - so they're great to watch to get in that practice. Actually, some movies I actually prefer in Hungarian because the voices are so much nicer (one off the top of my head is "Tinkerbell"). You have to get a copy of Macskafogó too! It's great! There are some good regular films out too, that have Hungarian voice-over. They're just a lot harder to find! If you like Everybody Loves Raymond, I saw that Season 2 has Hungarian on it... just found that one in the last week or so...

Favourite band? Mine is Nox... Love them! I also love Friderika - she has an amazing voice!

RavaszRóka
Australia
Joined 5170 days ago

5 posts - 5 votes

Message 67 of 100
01 March 2010 at 5:12pm | IP Logged 
Yeah, I understand your pain with Amazon. $10 books easily turn into $25. =/ It is still cheaper than Australia though, there is a foreign language bookshop in the city but the books are 8x more expensive lol.

You have to be careful with German, there are tons of books, but you can't buy them all, as much as you may wish too. :p

FSI is amazing for a free resource, I have been listening to some of it today, thanks for the heads up!! :)

Lol, a grammar book review?? I think you would fall asleep after 1 page. :p

Yeah Macskafogó is hilarious, better than the 2nd. :) I haven't seen any English films in Hungarian, didn't think of that, I only have seen Hungarian films. I enjoyed Moszkva Tér and Szabadság, Szerelem. The former was set during the 1956 revolution in Hungary and the olympics....IN MELBOURNE!! :D But, the scenes that were in "Melbourne" could have been filmed anywhere, there wasn't any references to Melbourne/Australia other than the name. :(

I haven't listened to those two bands, maybe I will give a listen on Youtube. :) Strangely, I LOVE Hungarian rap, even though I hate listening to rap in English, I normally just prefer metal music. As for Hungarian rock bands, I like Tankcsapda, Alvin és a Mókusok, Blind Myself, Superbutt, Hiperkarma, Depresszió, Jack Jack, Jumping Around, Kárpátia, Mester Tamás, Road, Aljas Kúszóbab and Pokolgép.

I know you don't want any more resources, but I can't help but share this one. It is a Hungarian slang dictionary (in English), I think you can learn a lot from this, and it is quite humourous at times too. :)
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=3R3LIYLV

Have fun. :)

Katie
Diglot
Australia
Joined 6505 days ago

495 posts - 599 votes 

Message 68 of 100
01 March 2010 at 10:53pm | IP Logged 
Cheers RavaszRóka :)

- 2 Mar, 2010

Hungarian

Well, it was a massive weekend which ended with a lovely migraine, so I got close to nothing done. I am not finished with my review of FSI Level 1 yet... I'm up to Unit 8 now. If I remember correctly, I will very shortly hit those units in Level 1 that I never bothered to do, because I got so bored with the whole FSI process.

So far, I've been listening to the audio and going through the sentences, then reading through the grammar quickly, and then just doing the Transformation Drills and Translation Drills myself without the audio. After that I move to the next unit. This has been going okay so far and on average, I've been able to cover one unit each day.

I hope to do unit 8 today, although I may not get all of it done, as I've been a little lax in my German studies lately and I want to spend a lot of time on it today.

German

So my German has been somewhat neglected over the last few days, as I've been really busy and really, for some reason, motivated to finish FSI Level 1 Hungarian. The sad thing is, everything in it is fairly familiar to me at the moment - but maybe I just needed a confidence boost or something!

My plan for today with my German studies is to do Unit 5 of Teach Yourself and finish CD3 of Michel Thomas. I haven't touched Michel Thomas in almost a week, so this could be difficult! Fingers crossed and I'll report back on how I go!

RavaszRóka
Australia
Joined 5170 days ago

5 posts - 5 votes

Message 69 of 100
03 March 2010 at 4:02am | IP Logged 
I have another question, do you have any novels in Hungarian? And if so, where did you get them? Every Hungarian online bookshop I have checked either won't ship to Australia, or charges $40 to ship 1 book. Amazon only seems to sell children's books. =/
Also, have you tried Halló, Itt Magyarország? I have heard of it but it is also expensive and I am not sure how good the series is.

Edited by RavaszRóka on 03 March 2010 at 6:26am

Katie
Diglot
Australia
Joined 6505 days ago

495 posts - 599 votes 

Message 70 of 100
03 March 2010 at 12:36pm | IP Logged 
Hey again Róka :)

Well I also saw Halló, Itt Magyarország but I have never tried it for the same reason - I recall it was rather expensive. I've lived without it, but who knows - I may have missed an awesome program! Maybe search for some reviews online?

As for books, I bought some of mine on eBay. If you keep an eye out, they do become available every now and then. Other than that, I am lucky to have a few friends living in Hungary, so they buy me things and send them over to me. I do an 'exchange' with them. I can get many English & other books for a lot cheaper than what they can get them for in Hungary, so I buy them for them, and then they buy me Hungarian books in return. I can get 3-5 x more by doing it this way, than if I try to purchase from a Hungarian store online myself.

I also hit the library, bookstores and book sales. Lifeline recently had an awesome booksale. I only went one of the days (wish I could have gone to more days) and I found a couple of Hungarian books. With your library, ask them to search for where they keep Hungarian books. Chances are, there is a library somewhere in amongst your area that has books. You can ask them to transfer some to you - or you can go to the library that has them... just a thought.

And of course, my friends are Hungarian, so I have access to A LOT of children's books and a few adult books too.

I have to tell you, it can be quite hard work to find stuff in Hungarian (whether it be books or DVDs or learning materials) - you have to be pretty vigilant and check everything you come across, but eventually you'll hit gold! Just keep looking!

Katie
Diglot
Australia
Joined 6505 days ago

495 posts - 599 votes 

Message 71 of 100
06 March 2010 at 10:44am | IP Logged 
I have to write about this quickly.. something literally just happened... and I'm in shock!

After reading a post on here about Second Life, I decided to sign up. I thought it'd be a good chance to meet some more Hungarian people, and to practice my German when it gets to a bit higher level.

All good. I've been meeting and chatting with people for a week or two.

So tonight I went there, and I met another girl at the Hungarian place and started to chat to her. All was fine, she was very nice, but then I told her I lived in Australia. She abused me! She said I was lying and wasting her time because my Hungarian was too good to not be Hungarian! She got really angry and then left!!!! No matter what I said, I couldn't convince her I was Australian! LOL

Anyway, when she first said that my Hungarian had been flawless in the conversation, I was honoured, and then when she started to get angry at me I was so shocked I didn't know what to do!! LOL

That was a VERY strange experience.... LOL
2 persons have voted this message useful

ellasevia
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2011
Germany
Joined 5929 days ago

2150 posts - 3229 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Croatian, Greek, French, Spanish, Russian, Swedish, Portuguese, Turkish, Italian
Studies: Catalan, Persian, Mandarin, Japanese, Romanian, Ukrainian

Message 72 of 100
06 March 2010 at 8:46pm | IP Logged 
Katie wrote:
I have to write about this quickly.. something literally just happened... and I'm in shock!

After reading a post on here about Second Life, I decided to sign up. I thought it'd be a good chance to meet some more Hungarian people, and to practice my German when it gets to a bit higher level.

All good. I've been meeting and chatting with people for a week or two.

So tonight I went there, and I met another girl at the Hungarian place and started to chat to her. All was fine, she was very nice, but then I told her I lived in Australia. She abused me! She said I was lying and wasting her time because my Hungarian was too good to not be Hungarian! She got really angry and then left!!!! No matter what I said, I couldn't convince her I was Australian! LOL

Anyway, when she first said that my Hungarian had been flawless in the conversation, I was honoured, and then when she started to get angry at me I was so shocked I didn't know what to do!! LOL

That was a VERY strange experience.... LOL

First of all, if you're wondering why that post got a vote, it was because I accidentally clicked "vote for this post" instead of quote.

Secondly, I would take it as a compliment, although a bit oddly framed. The same thing has happened to me countless times when I have been chatting online in Portuguese. The person I was speaking with simply did not believe that I was American and had never even set foot in Brazil...

This discussion contains 100 messages over 13 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 810 11 12 13  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version