New ZealandRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5963 days ago

71 posts - 91 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, EnglishC2, German, Mandarin, Japanese
Studies: Polish, Swedish, Hungarian, Russian

Message 89 of 100
16 April 2010 at 1:50pm | IP Logged 
Hi Katie!

It is good to see you have done a lot recently, well done!

I also wanted to ask you, do you know an online store to buy Hungarian music cds? I have bought some music
from iTunes, but I want to buy some other artists and I can't find anything. Probably I haven't looked for it
properly.

Thank you in advance for your help.

1 person has voted this message useful

Katie
Diglot
Australia
Joined 6477 days ago

495 posts - 599 votes 
Speaks: English*, Hungarian
Studies: French, German

Message 90 of 100
21 July 2010 at 7:58am | IP Logged 
WOW! A long time since I have even stepped foot on this website :((

I have had a lovely dose of Epstein-Barr, of which I am now on a very long and slow recovery.

Sadly, for roughly 3 months, I've done next to nothing with my language studies. A little bit of maintenance type stuff here and there on Hungarian, and German dropped away completely. I have just been too sick.

I'm not sure when I'll be able to properly resume my studies. Unfortunately EVERYTHING takes a lot out of me, so I need to focus my energies right now on getting back to work!

I hope everyone is doing well! I've missed being an active member on the forum!

~Katie

ellasevia
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2011
Germany
Joined 5901 days ago

2150 posts - 3229 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Croatian, Greek, French, Spanish, Russian, Swedish, Portuguese, Turkish, Italian
Studies: Catalan, Persian, Mandarin, Japanese, Romanian, Ukrainian

Message 91 of 100
21 July 2010 at 8:03am | IP Logged 
Hi Katie, it's good to see you're back! I hope you're feeling better now, since you said that you were sick. Hopefully you'll be able to resume more or less where you left off and will be able to continue making quick progress.

Thanks to your original little boost of motivation and enthusiasm, Hungarian entered my hit list as "low priority" and now it is listed as "high priority" and it will be one of the next languages I begin (which won't be for a while, but still). So you succeeding in getting someone hooked on Hungarian. Köszönöm!

Vos
Diglot
Australia
Joined 5325 days ago

766 posts - 1020 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: Dutch, Polish

Message 92 of 100
21 July 2010 at 3:07pm | IP Logged 
Hope you are on the road to sound recovery Katie, been missing your Hungarian progress reports. Get well soon
and hope you're able to get back on the language horse a.s.a.p.

Godspeed

Kerrie
United States
justpaste.it/Kerrie2
Joined 5154 days ago

1232 posts - 1740 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish

Message 93 of 100
21 July 2010 at 9:39pm | IP Logged 
I was thinking about you the other day while I was at work, and was wondering how you were doing. I hope you feel better soon!

Katie
Diglot
Australia
Joined 6477 days ago

495 posts - 599 votes 

Message 94 of 100
22 July 2010 at 12:39am | IP Logged 
Aaw thank you all very much! It's nice to be missed! :)

After writing my post, I did pull out my old books again, read a little story before bed. It doesn't feel as though I've lost anything, but we will see. As I mentioned - it will be very slow paced at the moment.

For the moment, I'll stick with Hungarian. I'm guessing for a couple of weeks. Thereafter I might be able to add in the German studies again - but only time will tell!!!

Sadly, EBV does not have a 'cure'- you just have to rest, drink lots of water and that's about it. I'm taking every kind of multi-vitamin & immune booster you can imagine, to try to stay on top of it - but it will still take time. Most doctors say 2-3 months max. I'm hoping to kick it within a month though!

Katie
Diglot
Australia
Joined 6477 days ago

495 posts - 599 votes 

Message 95 of 100
08 August 2010 at 1:36am | IP Logged 
Hi All! I realise this is a LANGUAGE log NOT a health log, but I wanted to give an update. In recent weeks it has been discovered that I in fact do not have EBV, but the likely diagnosis now is Post Viral Fatigue/Chronic Fatigue Syndrome.

The reason I want to 'advertise' this is because I think a lot of people struggle with CFS, and push off things such as studying languages as an impossibility. I've got a 'fire in my belly' and I'm determined to prove that this is not the case - that you CAN stil do all the things you want to do - just perhaps to a lesser degree each day.

So I am back again, with a determination to get back into my studies!

It has been a long time since I picked up my German books, therefore I feel it necessary to spend some time reviewing what I had previously covered. This is where I will begin.

For now, due to my illness, I would like to commit 30 mins a day to my German studies (for now it will be 2 x 15 min slots). Whilst I would prefer to do no less than 1 hour per day, I need to take things slowly and gradually build on them. Once I have had time to adjust, I will alter slowly to 2 x 20 mins, then 2 x 30 mins.

As for my Hungarian, I have decided to continue making it a more natural part of my day. My short exercise sessions will be accompanied by Hungarian audio. I have just purchased a book from Amazon of Hungarian Poetry, Verses and Proverbs (bilingual text), which I really look forward receiving. I'll also be endeavouring to watch some more Hungarian TV/DVDs - I dropped off a lot on this in the recent months. Of course, I still have my times with my Hungarian friends, which I continue to use as practice, too.

For now though, it is one step at a time! But I am EXTREMELY determined to prove that I can still do these things despite my illness!

Quabazaa
Tetraglot
United States
Joined 5368 days ago

414 posts - 543 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, German, French
Studies: Japanese, Korean, Maori, Scottish Gaelic, Arabic (Levantine), Arabic (Egyptian), Arabic (Written)

Message 96 of 100
09 August 2010 at 7:38am | IP Logged 
Wow Katie I'm really sorry to hear about that :( I hope you will feel better soon! I do just want to say that you shouldn't feel disheartened if your brain feels like mush though... I got mono in uni and found even writing essays in English very, very hard when I usually find them easy!

Take care and good luck keeping up with your languages <3

This discussion contains 100 messages over 13 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version