Diglot
United States
Joined 5512 days ago

20 posts - 23 votes
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Polish

Message 9 of 19
03 January 2010 at 7:43pm | IP Logged 
I've been learning French for awhile and I've been using the US International keyboard-- it becomes second nature soon enough! Just make sure you type a space after a quotation mark or apostrophe if you want that to show.

I have a question for anyone else using the US international keyboard: is it possible to type the French/European "<< >>" quotation marks? Or the oe smooshed together letter (don't know the name...XD) ?
1 person has voted this message useful

BartoG
Diglot
United States
confession
Joined 5241 days ago

292 posts - 818 votes 
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Italian, Spanish, Latin, Uzbek

Message 10 of 19
03 January 2010 at 11:09pm | IP Logged 
French quotation marks:

Right-hand alt + [ = «
Right-hand alt + ] = »

Make sure you're using the alt-key to the right of the space bar.

Can't help with the "oe" - I'm not sure anyone types with it anyway. The alt-code is 0156.

Sprachjunge
Diglot
Germany
Joined 6959 days ago

368 posts - 548 votes 
Speaks: English*, GermanC2
Studies: Spanish, Russian

Message 11 of 19
03 January 2010 at 11:46pm | IP Logged 
jeff_lindqvist wrote:
Sprachjunge wrote:
The answer is, there aren't any accents, because English doesn't use accents(...)

I know I've seen (or written) animé, café, née, resumé, Brontë, Chloë, Zoë, and the tilde sign for approximation or range. The acute accent is fairly common in Swedish, but not the other diacritics. However, our keyboard still has them. Perhaps there are more keys on a Swedish keyboard than an English?

You're right, of course, and I made my point sloppily. You will note that these are all loan words (Chloë and Zoë are alternate spellings of names that are usually Chloe and Zoe in English, and Brontë was completely made up by the Brontë sisters' father, who was originally named "Brunty" and probably wanted to hide his humble origins by embellishing his family name with a diaeresis). But these are clearly exceptions, and the fact is that many English speakers choose to write them without (except, ironically enough, Brontë). And the tilde sign often serves as a prefix, as in ~50--not as a mark over a letter. It's actually on my keyboard, but I can only use it by itself, not as a Spanish tilde, for instance. I think we have one key fewer than you do. Where you have the äåö, we have brackets and quotation marks.

ZeroTX
Groupie
United States
Joined 5929 days ago

91 posts - 100 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish

Message 12 of 19
04 January 2010 at 8:01pm | IP Logged 
I use this method for Spanish characters, too. Just like the Mac keyboard, this is simple and becomes second nature (and doesn't require a $1500 laptop) :) I often just leave my keyboard on this setting, although in Windows (XP, Vista, 7), you can easily swap back and forth using the taskbar icon that is automatically created when you add a second layout.

-Z

BartoG wrote:
If you're using Windows, do the following:

1) Start
2) Settings
3) Control Panel
4) Regional and Language
5) Keyboard and Languages tab
6) Change Keyboard
7) Add Keyboard
8) Add US-International
9) Click on the Language Bar tab and choose where you want your icon for changing keyboards.

From then on, all you need to do is make sure you're using the International Keyboard.

To do acute accents, type ' then the letter: 'e = é
To do grave accents, type ` then the letter: `a = à
To do the circumflex, type ^ then the letter: ^a = â
To do the diaresis, type " then the letter: "e = ë
To do the cedilla, type ' then the letter c: 'c = ç

Note that if you need to use a symbol independently, you need to hit a space after it before letters that combine to form accented characters. Eg, to type "A you need to type "[space]A. Without the space, you'll get Ä.

You can also install the French keyboard if you want to learn it by using exactly the procedure outlined above depending on whether you mix French and English (I switched to the US-International keyboard in grad school for writing English language history papers that cited a lot of French sources) or are only going to be writing extended chunks of French.

ChrisVincent
Bilingual Tetraglot
Mauritius
quicklearn.t35.com
Joined 5229 days ago

23 posts - 33 votes
Speaks: French*, English*, Italian, Spanish
Studies: German

Message 13 of 19
07 January 2010 at 5:45pm | IP Logged 
Hi Wannabeafreak,

you have to know the corresponding ASCII codes if you want to type french special characters from an international/english keyboard.

e.g. for 'é' , you press ALT and type '130' on the numpad.

here are the codes:

é - 130
â - 131
à - 133
ç - 135
ê - 134
ë - 136
è - 139
î - 140

For you to be able to use them correctly, you can either memorise them or write them on a piece of paper and keep it near your computer.

kf4ebp
United States
Joined 5399 days ago

13 posts - 18 votes
Studies: English*, German

Message 14 of 19
11 January 2010 at 5:58pm | IP Logged 
Change your keymap to US International.

For the short term you can get a description and picture of its usage from Wikipedia.

For a longer term fix, you can do what I did. I added stickers to my keyboard. Including shipping it cost about $6 US.

I use the US international keymap exclusively and the only time that I notice it is when I forget that the apostrophe is now a "dead key" and requires an extra keystroke (the spacebar).

GREGORG4000
Diglot
United States
Joined 5317 days ago

307 posts - 479 votes 
Speaks: English*, Finnish
Studies: Japanese, Korean, Amharic, French

Message 15 of 19
11 January 2010 at 6:59pm | IP Logged 
jeff_lindqvist wrote:
Perhaps there are more keys on a Swedish keyboard than an English?

Yeah, there are. As a matter of fact, I bought a Swedish keyboard to have the extra keys in particular (though I think that all European keyboards have them...)

The most noticable one is the shift key is shorter and there's an extra key on that row... as well, at least on my particular model, there's an extra key on the middle row...

OlafP
Triglot
Germany
Joined 5229 days ago

261 posts - 667 votes 
Speaks: German*, French, English

Message 16 of 19
11 January 2010 at 9:22pm | IP Logged 
The following will be of no use to the majority of people here, but I'll post it anyway. When I came across this method a few years ago, it was a revelation to me, since at this point my touch-typing skills had deteriorated dramatically due to frequent changes of keyboard layouts. Now I can get all special characters without ever changing the layout or typing numeric codes. It works the same way on all operating systems.

If you know vim, you're in. If not, you could get it at vim.org, but I must issue a warning. Vim is the Formula One car amongst the text editors, and without intense training you won't make it around the first corner. You'll probably find it unusable, as I did at the first encounter about 13 years ago, and regret having spent any time downloading and installing it. You've been warned.

There are two ways to enter special characters in vim. The first is always available, and the second needs to be switched on, because it could interfere with normal typing. For the first method you type Ctrl-K and then two characters in arbitrary order that make up the so-called digraph. One is the base character like a, e, or c, and the other is the accent:

' for accent aigu
! for accent grave
> for accent circonflex
, to turn c into ç
: for German umlauts
a to turn a into the Swedish å

So to write déjà you type

d<Ctrl-K>e'j<Ctrl-K>a!

As mentioned above, e' will do the same as 'e, and a! the same as !a. This still is a bit awkward if there are lots of special characters in your text, so here is the second way: if you enable the digraph mode (:set digraph) you can write one of the two necessary characters, delete it with backspace immediately, and then type the other. Since <Backspace> is easier to type than <Ctrl-K>, this saves you some time. Switch off digraph mode with :set nodigraph.

Have a look into the candy store at :help digraphs and :help digraph-table.

:wq

Edited by OlafP on 11 January 2010 at 9:32pm

This discussion contains 19 messages over 3 pages: << Prev 13  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version