Tetraglot
BelgiumRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5229 days ago

286 posts - 390 votes 
Speaks: French, English*, Dutch, Flemish
Studies: Lowland Scots, Japanese, German

Message 25 of 41
06 March 2010 at 12:12pm | IP Logged 
Have you read the entire thread Virginian?
2 persons have voted this message useful

Cainntear
Pentaglot
Scotland
linguafrankly.blogsp
Joined 5771 days ago

4399 posts - 7687 votes 
Speaks: Lowland Scots, English*, French, Spanish, Scottish Gaelic
Studies: Catalan, Italian, German, Irish, Welsh

Message 26 of 41
06 March 2010 at 1:52pm | IP Logged 
davidwelsh wrote:
"Lowland Scots" is now available to be added to our profiles btw:)

Yay. Although that leaves me having to decide whether I speak it natively or not. It was fairly diluted in my part of Scotland.

davidwelsh
Heptaglot
Norway
Joined 5289 days ago

141 posts - 307 votes 
Speaks: Lowland Scots, English*, Norwegian, Esperanto, Swedish, Danish, French
Studies: Polish, Sanskrit, Tibetan, Pali, Mandarin

Message 27 of 41
07 March 2010 at 4:31pm | IP Logged 
Cainntear wrote:
davidwelsh wrote:
"Lowland Scots" is now available to be added to our profiles btw:)

Yay. Although that leaves me having to decide whether I speak it natively or not. It was fairly diluted in my part of Scotland.

Yes, me too:) I decided to put it as my secondary native language but only at Basic Fluency...
1 person has voted this message useful

davidwelsh
Heptaglot
Norway
Joined 5289 days ago

141 posts - 307 votes 

Message 28 of 41
07 March 2010 at 5:00pm | IP Logged 
Virginian683 wrote:
I haven't found anything written in Scots that I haven't been able to read. The only difference with English is orthography. This is supposed to be a separate language?

My personal opinion: Scots is termed a "language" by those too lazy to learn Scottish Gaelic which is the real Scottish language. At most it is a dialect of English, just as the aforementioned examples.

Scots does not differ from English only in terms of orthography. There are significant differences in phonology, lexis and grammar.

Scottish Gaelic was never the language of the whole of Scotland, only of the northern part. Even at its height it was only spoken as a first or second language by about 50% of Scots. And whilst we can certainly have an amicable disagreement about how to classify the languages and dialects of Scotland, ascribing motives such as laziness to those with whom you do not agree is unlikely to make for a civil and productive debate.

Just because you can read and understand Scots doesn't mean it's not a language. Plenty of languages are mutually comprehensible to some degree.

And if you've really never had a problem understanding Scots, I wonder just how much of the language you've been exposed to. Take this sonnet by Cecco Angiolieri for example, translated into Scots from Italian by J. Derrick McClure and published in the Scots literary journal "Lallans":

Oh, sic a wecht o dule an pyne I dree,
I'm like tae trou ma deidliest mortal fae,
Gin aa my blaik mishanters he coud se
Wid hae tae greet for ruein on my wae.
An her at gaw an wormit gars me pree:
She disna care a docken or a strae!
The sain tae aa my pynes belyve she'd gie
Gin e'en "I canna thole ye!" she wad say.
But hate, nae mair nor luve, she winna awn,
Nae joy, nae dule o mine wad gar her sizzie,
It's aa the same, whitever weird I'm faa'n,
Gin I hae guid or ill, she's jist jeck-aisy;
She thinks I'm stuir about her feeties blawn -
My curse on Luve, at's thirl't me tae then hizzie!

or these verses from the famous poem "To A Mouse" by Robert Burns:

Wee, sleeket, cowran, tim'rous beestie,
O what a panic's in thy breastie!
Thou need na start awa sae hasty,
Wi' bickering brattle!
I wid be laith tae rin an chase thee,
Wi murdering pattle!

I doubt na whyles, but thou may thieve;
What then? poor beastie, thou maun live!
A daimen-icker in a thrave
'S a sma' request:
I'll get a blessin wi' the lave,
An' never miss't!

I really doubt that anyone would be able to properly understand these texts solely on the basis of their knowledge of standard English. Even I, as a speaker of Scottish English, would have to get out my Scots-English dictionary to understand these poems properly. Whether that makes Scots an language rather than a dialect is of course another discussion.

Edited by davidwelsh on 07 March 2010 at 5:01pm

3 persons have voted this message useful

davidwelsh
Heptaglot
Norway
Joined 5289 days ago

141 posts - 307 votes 

Message 29 of 41
07 March 2010 at 5:10pm | IP Logged 
I think it's important to acknowledge the political overtones of a discussion as to whether Scots is a language or a dialect, particularly for those who might read this thread not knowing much about the political situation in Scotland.

There has been a serious debate in Scotland for some time now as to whether Scotland should remain in a union with England, Wales and Northern Ireland, or become an independent state. A significant number of Scots support independence, as does the Scottish Government (although supporters of independence do not constitute a majority in the Scottish Parliament - only 50 members out of 129 support full independence.)

The fact is that supporters of Scots as a language tend (as a general trend, and not of course exclusively) to be supporters of Scottish independence. Seeing Scots as a separate language from English strengthens the justification for Scotland being an independent state.

Those who view Scots as a dialect of English tend (as a general trend, and not of course exclusively) to be supporters of the British union. Seeing Scots as a dialect of English strengthens the justification for Scotland being in a union with England.

Teango
Triglot
Winner TAC 2010 & 2012
United States
teango.wordpress.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5316 days ago

2210 posts - 3734 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Russian
Studies: Hawaiian, French, Toki Pona

Message 30 of 41
10 March 2010 at 10:36am | IP Logged 
davidwelsh wrote:
I really doubt that anyone would be able to properly understand these texts solely on the basis of their knowledge of standard English.

I agree with you that it's none too easy, but I find that I still understand a really good gist of it all. Rab C. Nesbitt used to be one of my favourite TV comedies, and I'm not sure how much Scots was used, but unlike the rest of my family who couldn't fathom a single word and detested the series, I could understand pretty much everything and would roll about the floor in fits of laughter with the jokes. Great stuff, happy days! Perhaps it's just my Hiberno-English roots and musical ear, I don't know ;)

Nice links by the way. I rarely ever get to hear Scots outside Hogmanay and Burn's Night these days. You wouldn't happen to know of any other good audio links too, I love the way Scots sounds.

Edited by Teango on 10 March 2010 at 10:41am

Teango
Triglot
Winner TAC 2010 & 2012
United States
teango.wordpress.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5316 days ago

2210 posts - 3734 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Russian
Studies: Hawaiian, French, Toki Pona

Message 31 of 41
10 March 2010 at 10:56am | IP Logged 
davidwelsh wrote:
"Lowland Scots" is now available to be added to our profiles btw :)

It would be cool to have this added as a new tag in the list too.

Edited by Teango on 10 March 2010 at 11:01am

elvisrules
Tetraglot
BelgiumRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5229 days ago

286 posts - 390 votes 
Speaks: French, English*, Dutch, Flemish
Studies: Lowland Scots, Japanese, German

Message 32 of 41
10 March 2010 at 11:36am | IP Logged 
davidwelsh wrote:
The fact is that supporters of Scots as a language tend (as a general trend, and not of course exclusively) to be supporters of Scottish independence. Seeing Scots as a separate language from English strengthens the justification for Scotland being an independent state.

Those who view Scots as a dialect of English tend (as a general trend, and not of course exclusively) to be supporters of the British union. Seeing Scots as a dialect of English strengthens the justification for Scotland being in a union with England.

I'm sorry but I don't think that's true. Do you have any statistics to support this?

This discussion contains 41 messages over 6 pages: << Prev 1 2 35 6  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version