Register  Login  Active Topics  Maps  

Mick’s Continuous TAC Multilingual Bliss!

Language Learning Forum : Language Learning Log Post Reply
228 messages over 29 pages: << Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 17 ... 28 29 Next >>
mick33
United States
Joined 5683 days ago

1335 posts - 1632 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Finnish
Studies: Thai, Polish, Afrikaans, Hindi, Hungarian, Italian, Spanish, Swedish

Message 129 of 228
09 January 2011 at 11:07am | IP Logged 
mick33 wrote:
I neglected Spanish again but I will definitely have something to say in, or at least about Spanish on Thursday.
Valitettavasti, en ole kirjoitanut noin espanjaa, ruotsia tai hollantia. Miksei? No, Nyt mä pidan oppimasta suomea ja täydyn tietämistä paljon sanot. En tiedän jos kirjoittaisin toinen kielin hetkinen mutta vaikkakin kirjoitan suomeksi, mä jatkaisin oppia heille.

Unfortunately, I have nothing to write about Spanish, Swedish or Dutch. Right now I like learning Finnish and I must know more words. I don't know if I'll write in the other languages for a while but even if I write only in Finnish, I would continue to learn them.

I hope there aren't too many mistakes in my Finnish, but there probably are and I will have to deal them later.

Nakemiin
Mick       

1 person has voted this message useful

Thatzright
Diglot
Finland
Joined 5431 days ago

202 posts - 311 votes 
Speaks: Finnish*, English
Studies: French, Swedish, German, Russian

Message 130 of 228
09 January 2011 at 1:18pm | IP Logged 
Mm yes, there are mistakes, quite a few really, and I've rudely taken the liberty of having a look at them.

Quote:
Valitettavasti, en ole kirjoitanut noin espanjaa, ruotsia tai hollantia. Miksei? No, Nyt mä pidan oppimasta suomea ja täydyn tietämistä paljon sanot. En tiedän jos kirjoittaisin toinen kielin hetkinen mutta vaikkakin kirjoitan suomeksi, mä jatkaisin oppia heille.

First of all, I don't quite understand what "noin" is meant to do here. The translation goes "I have nothing to write about in Spanish, Swedish or Dutch", but if that's what you meant to say, it would go "minulla ei ole mitään mistä kirjoittaa ("I don't have anything of which to write")/en keksi mi(s)tä kirjoittaa ("I can't invent/come up of what to write") espanjaksi, ruotsiksi tai hollanniksi". Other variations would absolutely exist too, but those are the two I came up with the quickest.

The "I don't know if"-composition cannot be done in Finnish. "En tiedä jos" is not Finnish, but rest assured you're not the first one to think it is : D The -ko/-kö endings take the part of the "if" in the language, as in "I don't know if/whether you have heard" = "En tiedä, oletko kuullut". Not "En tiedä, jos olet kuullut".

Here is a version of the whole thing that follows "ideal" guidelines : D

"Valitettavasti en ole kirjoittanut ollenkaan espanjaksi, ruotsiksi tai hollanniksi. (Miksi en? No,) Nyt tykkään opiskella suomea/tykkään suomen opiskelusta ja minun täytyy tietää ("oppia" might sound better here) enemmän (and if we use "oppia", "lisää" would do probably the trick better here) sanoja. En tiedä, kirjoitanko/tulenko kirjoittamaan muilla kielillä(ni) vähään aikaan, mutta vaikka kirjoittaisinkin vain suomeksi, jatkaisin (somehow simply "jatkan" sounds better to me here) niiden opiskelua."

Even this one is kind of tacky at certain points, even if grammatically correct, but I decided to mold it along the lines of what you had tried to written.

I'd like to say that you would be completely understood nevertheless, but I'm not sure... as you surely know by now the case endings are vitally important in sentences and can completely transform what one is trying to say. I probably wouldn't have gotten the gist of most of what you tried to say if it were not for the translation below. The words are all there, but the declinations as a whole don't make for sensible phrases. I'm absolutely not trying to be discouraging, but these just happen to be parts of grammar that have to be correct : D Now that I study Russian, I know full well what it's like to study case endings, what they do and try to memorize them, so I know what you're going through here. I know that sometimes the case endings might not seem to make any sense ("hollanniksi" and "ruotsiksi", so why not "muiksi kieliksi" but "muilla kielillä"?), but just keep your head up. Keep on going and one day it'll all make sense.

Edited by Thatzright on 09 January 2011 at 1:21pm

5 persons have voted this message useful

mick33
United States
Joined 5683 days ago

1335 posts - 1632 votes 

Message 131 of 228
11 January 2011 at 8:25pm | IP Logged 
Thatzright wrote:
Mm yes, there are mistakes, quite a few really, and I've rudely taken the liberty of having a look at them.
Thank you for the corrections, they are very helpful and I don't think you were rude to have a look at them.

Quote:

Thatzright wrote:
First of all, I don't quite understand what "noin" is meant to do here. The translation goes "I have nothing to write about in Spanish, Swedish or Dutch", but if that's what you meant to say, it would go "minulla ei ole mitään mistä kirjoittaa ("I don't have anything of which to write")/en keksi mi(s)tä kirjoittaa ("I can't invent/come up of what to write") espanjaksi, ruotsiksi tai hollanniksi". Other variations would absolutely exist too, but those are the two I came up with the quickest.

The "I don't know if"-composition cannot be done in Finnish. "En tiedä jos" is not Finnish, but rest assured you're not the first one to think it is : D The -ko/-kö endings take the part of the "if" in the language, as in "I don't know if/whether you have heard" = "En tiedä, oletko kuullut". Not "En tiedä, jos olet kuullut".

Here is a version of the whole thing that follows "ideal" guidelines : D

"Valitettavasti en ole kirjoittanut ollenkaan espanjaksi, ruotsiksi tai hollanniksi. (Miksi en? No,) Nyt tykkään opiskella suomea/tykkään suomen opiskelusta ja minun täytyy tietää ("oppia" might sound better here) enemmän (and if we use "oppia", "lisää" would do probably the trick better here) sanoja. En tiedä, kirjoitanko/tulenko kirjoittamaan muilla kielillä(ni) vähään aikaan, mutta vaikka kirjoittaisinkin vain suomeksi, jatkaisin (somehow simply "jatkan" sounds better to me here) niiden opiskelua."
"Miksei" was just a typo, and should have been "Miksi en". I was unsure about most of the words I had used in my version, and not just because I used the wrong cases and verb infinitives, when I read my original version again I noticed that "noin", among other things, should not have been there. All of the other errors you pointed out are good things to know and now I have some specific things to focus on.

Thatzright wrote:
Even this one is kind of tacky at certain points, even if grammatically correct, but I decided to mold it along the lines of what you had tried to written.

I'd like to say that you would be completely understood nevertheless, but I'm not sure... as you surely know by now the case endings are vitally important in sentences and can completely transform what one is trying to say. I probably wouldn't have gotten the gist of most of what you tried to say if it were not for the translation below. The words are all there, but the declinations as a whole don't make for sensible phrases. I'm absolutely not trying to be discouraging, but these just happen to be parts of grammar that have to be correct : D Now that I study Russian, I know full well what it's like to study case endings, what they do and try to memorize them, so I know what you're going through here. I know that sometimes the case endings might not seem to make any sense ("hollanniksi" and "ruotsiksi", so why not "muiksi kieliksi" but "muilla kielillä"?), but just keep your head up. Keep on going and one day it'll all make sense.
My latest attempt at writing in Finnish just shows that I need to learn more about the cases, verb inifinitives and vocabulary. This is not a surprise, especially since I spent so much time last year on Swedish. I'm not discouraged at all, if anything I am actually very motivated to spend more time on Finnish so I can improve.

Edited by mick33 on 11 January 2011 at 8:32pm

mick33
United States
Joined 5683 days ago

1335 posts - 1632 votes 

Message 132 of 228
13 January 2011 at 10:15am | IP Logged 
Jullie hebben al mijn slecht Fins gelezen, en jullie kunnen ook mijn gedachtes over het Nederlands lezen. Ik kan inderdaad een beetje Nederlands begrijp maar alleen als het is eenvoudig Nederlands. Ja, het Afrikaans en het Nederlands zijn definitief veel soortgelijk, maar deze talen zijn niet precis identiek. Ik ben over de overeenkomsten tevreden alhoeweel ik moet niet de verschillen vergeten.

Tot ziens
Mick      

Edited by mick33 on 13 January 2011 at 10:20am

mick33
United States
Joined 5683 days ago

1335 posts - 1632 votes 

Message 133 of 228
13 January 2011 at 7:28pm | IP Logged 
¡Estoy avergonzado! He olvidado el idioma español. Tengo que repasar el vocabulario y la gramática española ahora.

Jag lyssnar på klassisk musik från Skandinavien. Det första verket jag hörde var Svendsens isländsk melodi och jag njöt det, det är så efterhängsen och skön. Det nästa verket var hans instrumental arrangemang av Sveriges inofficiella nationalsång Du gamla, Du fria. Jag vill gärna cyklar nu om det bara ville sluta regna.

I am embarrassed! I have forgotten Spanish (well, not entirely forgotten but I am rusty) and I have to review (I hope "repasar" is the word I want) the vocabulary and grammar.

I am listening to classical music from Scandinavia. The first pice of music I heard was Svendsen's Icelandic Melody and I enjoyed it, it's hauntingly beautiful. The next piece was his arrangement of the unofficial national anthem of Sweden "Du gamla, du fria" or "Thou ancient, thou free".

Hasta luego
Adjö så länge
Mick

Edited by mick33 on 19 January 2011 at 6:04pm

mick33
United States
Joined 5683 days ago

1335 posts - 1632 votes 

Message 134 of 228
19 January 2011 at 10:25am | IP Logged 
Det regnar igen! Det bedrövligt vädret är tråkig och jag känner lite omotiverad. Jag tycker inte de har känslorna därför lyssnar jag på strålande musik. Jag lyssnar vantligtvis på vokalmusik men ibland är vokalmusik en distraktion, och jag måste höra mera instrumentalmusik sådan som Finlandia eller Stenhammars symfoni nr 2.

sov gott!
Mick       

Edited by mick33 on 19 January 2011 at 6:06pm

mick33
United States
Joined 5683 days ago

1335 posts - 1632 votes 

Message 135 of 228
19 January 2011 at 7:22pm | IP Logged 
Reviso el idioma español ahora. ¡Recuerdo más! No necesito consultar el diccionario bilingüe si no fuera por los acentos agudos y algunas conjugaciónes de los verbos. ¡Excelente! Estudiaré todaviá más español mañana. Ojalá que escriba algo de valor.

Nos vemos
Mick   

Edited by mick33 on 31 March 2011 at 8:58pm

mick33
United States
Joined 5683 days ago

1335 posts - 1632 votes 

Message 136 of 228
19 January 2011 at 9:19pm | IP Logged 
Waarom vergeet ik nederlands? Ja, ik zal inderdaad later het spaans schrijf , maar ik kan niet nederlands negeren ofschoon moet ik zeg dat het nederlands veel maklikke is. Ik heb te lui om het taal te geleerd want het nederlands gebruik hele vervoegingen. Ik vergeet ze altijd dus kan ik nooit in het nederlands vlug schrijf. Misschien zou ik meer nederlands nou lesen.

Tot straks
Mick

This discussion contains 228 messages over 29 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version