Register  Login  Active Topics  Maps  

Mick’s Continuous TAC Multilingual Bliss!

Language Learning Forum : Language Learning Log Post Reply
228 messages over 29 pages: << Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 20 ... 28 29 Next >>
mick33
United States
Joined 5704 days ago

1335 posts - 1632 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Finnish
Studies: Thai, Polish, Afrikaans, Hindi, Hungarian, Italian, Spanish, Swedish

Message 153 of 228
02 March 2011 at 10:07am | IP Logged 
Sunday evening I discovered that I have a DVD that is in English but also has the option of Swedish subtitles. Why had I never noticed this before? I've watched the DVD many times and thought I had checked the subtitles (and though I know many consider them evil, dubbed languages as well) and was aware of what languages were available. I know the Swedish subtitles were a translation from English but I learned that I have no idea how, and when, to use the verb "få". According to my Langenscheidt bilingual dictionary and Norstedts Ord, "få" corresponds to the English words may, can, get, have to, be permitted to/allowed to, be able to and maybe a few more. Norstedts ord also gives many examples such as "Du får ursäkta mig"(You have to excuse me.) and "Få arbete!"(Get a job!), but I need even more examples than that page offers. Google.se might be a good choice for this but right now I think I want to try reading articles from Svenska Dagbladet and Dagens Nyheter before I fall asleep tonight.

Mick

Edited by mick33 on 15 March 2011 at 8:15am

1 person has voted this message useful

mick33
United States
Joined 5704 days ago

1335 posts - 1632 votes 

Message 154 of 228
03 March 2011 at 10:38am | IP Logged 
Varför skrev jag två engelska budskap? Jag vet inte men det är inte bra. Jag har inte läst nog exempel av "få" alltså kan jag inte bruka det har ord. Norstedts ord säger få kan vara ett hjälpverb och ett transitivt verb. Tyvärr fattar jag inte transitivt verben, även om jag läser om dem på engelska. Kanske fattar jag det har begrepp om jag läser om det på afrikaans eller spanska.

Hej då
Mick

Edited by mick33 on 02 January 2012 at 11:32am

mick33
United States
Joined 5704 days ago

1335 posts - 1632 votes 

Message 155 of 228
08 March 2011 at 2:33am | IP Logged 
Det var mitt fel. Jag fattade faktist begreppet av transitivt verb, men inte benämningen. Ordet "transitivt" betyder på engelska "action". Kanske måste jag lära mig både språken och lingvistiken likaså men jag vill hellre lära mig bara språken.

Jag har ocksä läste om Olof Palmes mord. Olof Palme var Sveriges statminister för en läng tid. Han var mycket omtyckt i Sverige men också verkligen frispråkig alltså hans politiska åsikter kunde vara riktigt omstridd (eller kontroversiell). Naturligt var hans mord i 1986 mycket uppskakande. Det finns många teorier om hans mord men det är fortfarande olöst.

For those who don't know Swedish and are not learning it: In my last message I mentioned that had not found very many examples of the use of the word "få". I did find out that "få" could either a helping verb or a transitive verb. I thought that I had no idea what a transitive verb was, and that I didn't understand the concept either. In today's message I wrote that I was mistaken. I do understand the concept of transitive verbs, only I call them action verbs. I wonder if I will eventually have to learn a little bit of linguistics along with foreign languages.

I read about Olof Palme's assassination. He was the Swedish prime minister for a long time. He was quite popular in Sweden and internationally, but his political views could also be controversial. His murder in 1986 was very shocking. There are a lot of theories about what happened, but the murder remains unsolved.

Ha det så bra
Mick

Edited by mick33 on 30 March 2011 at 10:33am

Iversen
Super Polyglot
Denmark
berejst.dk
Joined 6483 days ago

9078 posts - 16473 votes 
Speaks: Danish*, French, English, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Dutch, Swedish, Esperanto, Romanian, Catalan
Studies: Afrikaans, Greek, Norwegian, Russian, Serbian, Icelandic, Latin, Irish, Lowland Scots, Indonesian, Polish, Croatian
Personal Language Map

Message 156 of 228
08 March 2011 at 11:24pm | IP Logged 
mick33 wrote:
Varför skrev jag två engelska buskap? Jag vet inte men det är inte bra. Jag har inte läst nog exempel av "få" alltså kan jag inte bruka det har ord. Norstedts ord säger få kan vara ett hjälpverb och ett transitivt verb. Tyvärr fattar jag inte transitivt verben, även om jag läser om dem på engelska. Kanske fattar jag det har begrepp om jag läser om det på afrikaans eller spanska.

Den transitiva betydelsen av "få" är enligt min åsikt den enklaste: få = "receive". Transitiva verb har per definition ett objekt - du får något

"Jag har fått ett mail från någon som utger sig för att vara Google inc. i England." (citat hittat via Google)

Det finns andra uttryck som är svårare att översätta till engelska:
Jag har fått det gjort ("I have succeeded in getting it done" OR "Somebody has done it for me"). Exempel:

1) Så jag skrev den idag, så jag har fått det gjort
2) Nu är hår & make klart och jag har fått det gjort av duktiga Petra

Edited by Iversen on 08 March 2011 at 11:28pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

mick33
United States
Joined 5704 days ago

1335 posts - 1632 votes 

Message 157 of 228
15 March 2011 at 10:38am | IP Logged 
What a strange week I've had. I don't quite know where to start explaining what's been going on in my language studies as well as my personal life in general as there has been both good and bad news. Well... I think it would easiest to start with the bad news first and then the good news will make sense. My mother has been very sick lately and I've been taking care her. Even worse for me is that I think I have 1 less friend because of issues that I don't need to get into here, but we had been friends for a long time (at least I thought we were) and now we aren't. Nåja, Sådant är livet. Naturally, I had little time for languages or other things which is why my last 3 posts on this forum were in one of the word games.

This post is starting to seem very depressing, and that's not what I want. In fact, I believe that the frustrations in my life have actually inspired me to focus more on languages. So that's what I'm doing. My mother is getting better now and when I did get a few moments to myself I read some simple messages in Swedish and found that I am relying less and less on dictionaries and remembering more words myself. Sometimes I really love my brain. In even better news, I found a blog somewhere on the internet written by another person learning Swedish and when I read one of the posts there I noticed what I thought were some minor mistakes and then I read some corrections (by people I assume are Swedes)in the comments below the actual blog post I realized that my corrections were pretty similar to theirs.

I also discovered two local Spanish radio stations and when I listened to one for about 5 minutes I found that my listening comprehension is slowly but surely improving. I heard some words I recognized. I understood very little (as I've written before about other languages) but still this is progress. I've often complained that I think Spanish is spoken too fast, but that problem can be easily solved by listening more.

I am still trying to learn Polish. I guess this isn't wanderlust now, but how will I squeeze this one in? I'm becoming intrigued by the consonants I can't pronounce yet, the grammar structures I can't quite figure out and having a little fun. Pronounciation practice helps me relax, especially if the language is difficult. I know Polish is Indo-European, and I should notice more similarities to other IE languages but this hasn't quite happened yet.

@Iversen Tack för din förklaring. Jag ska skriver mera om det imorgon.

Oh no! It's 2:37 a.m. and I have to get some sleep.

God natt
Buenas Noches
Dobranoc
Mick

EDIT: Typing in English at 2:00 a.m. is bad idea. Lack of sleep causes too many typographical errors which I have just had to correct.

Edited by mick33 on 17 March 2011 at 9:00am

mick33
United States
Joined 5704 days ago

1335 posts - 1632 votes 

Message 158 of 228
26 March 2011 at 10:12am | IP Logged 
mick33 wrote:
Varför skrev jag två engelska budskap?
Ordet "budskap" är inte rätt här, i stället skulle den har meningen ha "meddelande" eller "inlägg". Jag är säkert att jag har gjört mera fel i andra meddelande här, men jag är okunnig på dem, så jag kan inte rätta dem nu.

Hur går det med spanska? Jaså, jag har nära glömt om spanksa, även om jag började att läsa ett bok igår.

God natt
Mick

mick33
United States
Joined 5704 days ago

1335 posts - 1632 votes 

Message 159 of 228
28 March 2011 at 11:15am | IP Logged 
mick33 wrote:
s_allard wrote:
Children don't talk about learning a language; they just do it.
Exactly what I was going to write, so I will not comment on this topic now and get back to learning Swedish or some other language.
The above is from my last post on this forum and the most important part is "some other language" or rather languages.

Last Thursday I bought TY Icelandic and TY Romanian and started working through both courses. Yeah, I know this kind of wanderlust can be distracting, but I was getting too lazy and complacent so I decided to try different languages for a little while.

Romanian sounds almost as if someone mixed the best parts of French, Italian and one of the Slavic languages and can be quite pleasant to listen to. The audio for this course takes an interesting approach to introducing new vocabulary by having someone read any new words and phrases and telling me a corresponding word or phrase in English then the dialogues for each chapter are presented. I'm already noticing that this makes the dialogues seem somewhat familiar, even if I were to listen to them one time. Of course, I usually listen to dialogues more than once anyway, but I don't know maybe this is approach will be more helpful.

I've written about Icelandic before but I'm just now noticing that the spelling is a little odd sometimes and, like English and Swedish, what I see on the written page and what I am supposed to actually say often don't quite match. For example, "hv" is pronounced "kv" and while this isn't difficult to remember it seems a little weird.

Icelandic and Romanian both have cases and I haven't looked at them yet but I would have to do so if I expected to get very far in either language. I probably won't continue with these languages for more than a couple of days, but who knows.

I can't write anything in Polish yet because of the complex Slavic grammar which still seems very unusual to me. I think Polish is somewhat agglutinative but maybe I just need to spend more time dissecting sentences. I know I mentioned that there are seven cases but I still am unclear about how they work. Well... maybe I should save Polish for later, but I don't want to.

So, I think I'll just read something in Spanish before going to sleep.

Mick

mick33
United States
Joined 5704 days ago

1335 posts - 1632 votes 

Message 160 of 228
29 March 2011 at 11:01am | IP Logged 
Ek het afrikaans grammatika geresenseer. Ja, ek het natuurlik 'n paar grammatikaal ontwerpe vergeet maar ek was verbaas dat ek nog so baie woorde kon onthou.

mick33 wrote:
Hur går det med spanska? Jaså, jag har nära glömt om spanksa, även om jag började att läsa ett bok igår.
Se me olvidó decírlos el nombre del libro. El libro llama Flor de Leyendas y es una collección de los cuentos cuatros. No sabría que seguiré leer el libro porque creo lo es avanzado.

Goeie nag
Buenas Noches
Mick

EDITAR: Ojála que hiciera algunas correcciónes.

Edited by mick33 on 29 March 2011 at 6:01pm

This discussion contains 228 messages over 29 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version