Register  Login  Active Topics  Maps  

Mick’s Continuous TAC Multilingual Bliss!

Language Learning Forum : Language Learning Log Post Reply
228 messages over 29 pages: << Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 21 ... 28 29 Next >>
mick33
United States
Joined 5711 days ago

1335 posts - 1632 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Finnish
Studies: Thai, Polish, Afrikaans, Hindi, Hungarian, Italian, Spanish, Swedish

Message 161 of 228
31 March 2011 at 11:15am | IP Logged 
Igår lärde mig rumänska och isländska. Jag har också gjört några ordförråd listor men jag kan inte skriva dem nu för min dator fungerar ganska långsamt. Hoppfullt kan jag skriva ett längre meddelande senare.

Hej då
Mick
1 person has voted this message useful

mick33
United States
Joined 5711 days ago

1335 posts - 1632 votes 

Message 162 of 228
06 April 2011 at 10:27am | IP Logged 
I had an interesting weekend. I decided, for at least a month, that I will be learning Romanian, Icelandic and Polish. Why Romanian, Icelandic and Polish? Well, all three languages have cases. Yes, the cases in these languages work a bit differently than the cases in Finnish but I believe that learning more about grammatical cases in general will help me get to an intermediate level in Finnish. After two years I should definitely be a bit better with Finnish and I know now that the major problem is that I still don't really understand the idea of cases yet, but I will soon.

I also added Italian, since I've been dabbling with this one off and on for a few months. Complete Italian seems to be one of the better Teach Yourself courses so I keep wanting to use it. I also wanted to learn another Romance language, but written Portuguese seems too close to Spanish for comfort and I can't pronounce French well (even for an American, I really am terrible) so Italian it is.

Last Friday I began scriptorium for Spanish. I can't believe I waited so long to start this, but hopefully I can finally figure out the pretérito tense and the subjunctive mood. I want to start doing scriptorium for Swedish as well, I just need to get a little more comfortable with pronounciation first.

Mick

mick33
United States
Joined 5711 days ago

1335 posts - 1632 votes 

Message 163 of 228
18 April 2011 at 10:05am | IP Logged 
Times flies when I'm learning languages, so I'm very pleased to report that I have been very busy learning Italian and Romanian. I have actually been working through the Teach Yourself courses the way the authors intend rather than learning only the vocabulary and basic grammar points I want to learn. I'm having so much fun that I may have to keep learning both languages until the beginning of June.

I've also started occasionally thinking in Swedish. My Swedish thoughts aren't significant yet, but random words and phrases do interrupt my usual steady stream of English thoughts. It is very tempting to say these random Swedish words and phrases out loud, but this would probably not be a good idea as none of my friends or relatives know that I've been learning any language but Spanish.

Noapte bună
Mick

Edited by mick33 on 18 April 2011 at 10:07am

mick33
United States
Joined 5711 days ago

1335 posts - 1632 votes 

Message 164 of 228
26 April 2011 at 9:41am | IP Logged 
I have just received a much needed reality check and decided that learning nine languages at once is too much for me. I have stopped learning Romanian, Icelandic and Dutch for now. They are still on my hit list so it is very likely that I will learn them someday. I will focus on Italian and Polish in addition to the other four languages.

I have been looking at Italian verbs and a few grammatical constructions. I don't expect that anyone will be surprised when I write that I am noticing many similarities with Spanish as well as some differences. I intend to explain a few of these in my next post and, if all goes well, you may finally see me attempt to type some Polish.

Buonanotte
Do widzenia
Mick

mick33
United States
Joined 5711 days ago

1335 posts - 1632 votes 

Message 165 of 228
30 April 2011 at 9:52am | IP Logged 
I have finally got around to learning Italian subject pronouns and a few verb conjugations, so I will list them.

Pronomi personali
io - I
tu - you (informal)
Lei - you (formal)
lui/lei - he/she (Yes, lei means you and/or she and can be used when speaking to a man or woman formally or when talking about a woman. Context will help with this and when used as for formal you "Lei" must be capitalized.)
noi - we
voi - you (plural)
loro - they

Next two commonly used irregular verbs
essere (to be) - avere (to have)
(io) sono - ho
(tu) sei - hai
(Lei) è - ha (formal)
(lui/lei) è - ha
(noi) siamo - abbiamo
(voi) siete - avete
(loro) sono - hanno

Oh no! I keep falling sleep while I'm typing, so I'll explain a little about Polish later.

Ciao
Mick

Edited by mick33 on 30 April 2011 at 10:10pm

Haukilahti
Triglot
Groupie
Finland
Joined 4751 days ago

94 posts - 126 votes 
Speaks: Finnish*, English, Polish

Message 166 of 228
30 April 2011 at 10:51am | IP Logged 
A quick note: in writing 'Lei' is always written with a capitalized L, when referring to 'you'(formal).
2 persons have voted this message useful

mick33
United States
Joined 5711 days ago

1335 posts - 1632 votes 

Message 167 of 228
30 April 2011 at 10:11pm | IP Logged 
Haukilahti wrote:
A quick note: in writing 'Lei' is always written with a capitalized L, when referring to 'you'(formal).
Thanks, I knew I had missed something last night.

mick33
United States
Joined 5711 days ago

1335 posts - 1632 votes 

Message 168 of 228
12 May 2011 at 3:23am | IP Logged 
Dzień dobry państwu. Boli mnie głowa. Wolałbym o tym nie mówić. Deszcz leje jak z cebra.

Jag känner så lycklig idag darfor att jag skrev polska! Naturligtvis vet jag att min meningerna är ingenting speciellt. Jag har trott det har språket skulle vara nästan omöjligt men det var inte det! Ja, polska är svårt men jag är säkert att jag ska lära mig det.

EDIT: I think I will give a brief expalanation in English. I originally wanted the sentences, "Boli mnie głowa. Wolałbym o tym nie mówić."(which is supposed to mean "I have a headache. I don't want to talk about it.") to be one sentence "Boli mnie głowa a wolałbym o tym nie mówić." if I could be certain that adding "a" (and) wouldn't dramatically change the word order or case(s) I should use. Maybe I worry too much, it took me almost an hour to write the sentences so I will just be happy for now and look for mistakes later. My next feat of aspiring polyglot brilliance will be when I pronounce Polish words with some level of confidence. My pronunciation of Polish is slowly improving, which is just my way saying it's still very poor because there are too far many words I can't pronounce at all, such as "księżyc" (moon).

Do widzenia
Hej då
Mick

EDIT: Should I type 2nd EDIT here? My first edit was to correct some very poorly constructed English sentences I spotted on Wednesday. Today I noticed that one of the Swedish sentences began "Naturligtvis var" when it probably should be something like "Naturligtvis vet".

Edited by mick33 on 21 May 2011 at 9:09am

This discussion contains 228 messages over 29 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version