Register  Login  Active Topics  Maps  

Mick’s Continuous TAC Multilingual Bliss!

Language Learning Forum : Language Learning Log Post Reply
228 messages over 29 pages: << Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 26 ... 28 29 Next >>
mick33
United States
Joined 5709 days ago

1335 posts - 1632 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Finnish
Studies: Thai, Polish, Afrikaans, Hindi, Hungarian, Italian, Spanish, Swedish

Message 201 of 228
23 October 2011 at 12:05am | IP Logged 
Igår läser jag om en synnerligen dyr och skön sportbil heter Bugatti Veyron Super Sport. Artikeln påstår att bilen "accelererar från noll till hundra kilometer i timmen på två och en halv sekund" och har "en topphastighet på 427 kilometer i timmen" och nästan ingen kunde köra så snabbt. Jag är seker att jag ska aldrig köpa den här bil eftersom priset är 15,3 miljoner kronor. Jag har också lärt mer nya ord, t.ex., "vrålåket","lyxig", och "prestandan".

Yesterday, in addition to learning and writing about Italian grammar and vocabulary, I also read an article about the Bugatti Veyron SuperSport. I doubt I'll ever buy one but it was an interesting article to read, and I learned some new words. My reading comprehension is still very low, I know this because I found two or three other websites featuring articles about the car that I couldn't understand well enough to mention in my paragraph above.

Hejdå
Mick

Edited by mick33 on 10 May 2012 at 7:45am

1 person has voted this message useful

mick33
United States
Joined 5709 days ago

1335 posts - 1632 votes 

Message 202 of 228
25 October 2011 at 10:37pm | IP Logged 
This morning I discovered that I was a little confused about accented letters in Italian. I have tried to read Italian without understanding much to try to recognize, in writing, the few Italian words I know and to learn spelling. I noticed that the vowels can have accent marks, usually it's the grave accent for the letters à, ì, ò, ù, but even though I know I wrote about how I wasn't sure how to pronounce "e" and "è" I didn't mention that Italin can also use the acute accent giving us "é". I didn't think this was a problem until I saw a word that seemed to be spelled two different ways "perché" and "perchè" yet there was no difference in meaning, so why the different accents? I think I've found some answers, both in English and in Italian which say that the the correct spelling is "perché" with the acute accent. I think the other spelling is either incorrect or meant to show how people who speak regional languages or with different regional accents pronounce the word.

Next task will be to find a good paperback Italian-English/English-Italian dictionary so that I don't have to sit at my computer every time I want to use a dictionary.

ciao
Mick

Edited by mick33 on 20 October 2012 at 6:47am

mick33
United States
Joined 5709 days ago

1335 posts - 1632 votes 

Message 203 of 228
27 October 2011 at 11:56pm | IP Logged 
mick33 wrote:
Next task will be to find a good paperback Italian-English/English-Italian dictionary so that I don't have to sit at my computer every tine I want to use a dictionary.
No, it won't be my next task. I can use online dictionaries which is fine, there are many good online dictionaries. I continue to study and memorize the verb conjugation patterns for many commonly used Italian verbs in all the moods and tenses. I am doing this expanded grammar overview for Italian in preparation for the next 6WC in November. I want to be ready to start reading, and even writing, Italian so that I can do better in this 6WC and actually attempt to learn Italian to B1 level. I had thought that I could also revive Finnish or Spanish as a secondary focus language during that time, but I'll save those projects for later. Spanish won't need much attention, just more consistent efforts to use it; but Finnish will.

As part of my series of brief explanations of various grammar points in Italian I will try to quickly write about what I know about the two future tenses, il futuro semplice and il futuro anteriore.

Futuro semplice conjugations for regular -are, -ere, -ire verbs:
Parlare (to speak)
(io) parlerò
(tu) parlerai
(lui,lei,Lei) parlerà
(noi) parleremo
(voi) parlerete
(loro,Loro) parleranno   

Credere (to think, to believe)
(io) crederò
(tu) crederai
(lui,lei,Lei) crederà
(noi) crederemo
(voi) crederete
(loro,Loro) crederanno

Sentire to feel, to hear, to smell, NB Sentire seems to be a very versatile verb.
(io) sentirò
(tu) sentirai
(lui,lei,Lei) sentirà
(noi) sentiremo
(voi) sentirete
(loro,Loro) sentiranno

I've run out of time again, I'll return to finish this later tonight.

A presto
Mick

EDIT: I am just too tired tonight, I'll finish this in the morning.

I am back, after much-needed sleep and I will continue from where I left off yesterday. I forgot to explain how futuro semplice is used so, just to state what might be obvious, it is for talking about events that occur in the future and since I am, yet again, pressed for time my example sentence is "Alla fine di dicembre partiremo per Torino." (At the end of December we will leave for Turin.)

My brief explanation of Futuro anteriore will, unfortunately, have to wait until next week and I haven't got around to the legendary congiuntivo (subjunctive) yet.

Ci vediamo lunedì
Mick

Edited by mick33 on 20 October 2012 at 6:47am

mick33
United States
Joined 5709 days ago

1335 posts - 1632 votes 

Message 204 of 228
01 November 2011 at 9:01pm | IP Logged 
There's a first time for everything! Last night, I typed what I had intended as my initial November 6WC message only to accidently hit the delete button and erase the entire thing. That does sound bad, but would anyone believe that it was actually a a very good thing? Yes, and in fact that was quite possibly the best thing that could have happened, since I noticed just how tired I was and went to bed after posting something to my twitter account. When I woke up this morning I was ready to listen to RAI Radio for almost an hour. I don't care how often I mention this, but I can't say enough about how clearly Italians speak their language. I know it's just the radio and most radio personalities enunciate their native language well, but this will be great for my listening comprehension.

Now back to grammar. The Futuro anteriore tense is a compound tense that requires the futuro semplice forms of either "essere" or "avere" which I present below:

Essere
(io) sarò
(tu) sarai
(lui,lei,Lei) sarà
(noi) saremo
(voi) sarete
(loro,Loro) saranno

Avere
(io) avrò
(tu) avrai
(lui,lei,Lei) avrà
(noi) avremo
(voi) avrete
(loro, Loro) avranno

This is then followed by the past participle of the action verb in a sentence (hereafter I will use the Italian name participio passato) to express something that will have occurred.

Lui avrà mangiato. He will have eaten.

And with that I'm reminded that it's lunchtime... maybe I'll have a bowl of soup.

Buon giornata
Mick

EDIT: One last thing, I listened to RAI Radio this morning and found that I prefer RAI Radio 3 to RAI Radio 1.

Edited by mick33 on 04 November 2011 at 12:26am

mick33
United States
Joined 5709 days ago

1335 posts - 1632 votes 

Message 205 of 228
03 November 2011 at 10:39pm | IP Logged 
Two days into the 6WC and roughly 13 hours of study, including listening to a lot of spoken Italian, and Italian still doesn't sound completely natural to me yet. I'm getting closer to understanding the general messages people are trying to convey on RAI, but there's still more work to done here. I am also getting much better at noticing, and recording how much time I spend studying.

I have also been reading about, and finding recipes for, Italian foods such as spaghetti alla carbonara and tiramisu. I will have to buy bacon and make spaghetti alla carbonara for dinner one night.

I have also read about various Italian cheeses, mostly in English though I have translated a few Italian articles as well. I already know about, and have eaten provolone, ricotta, and mozzarella; however I've never had gorgonzola, mascarpone or pecorino although I want to taste them soon. One cheese I am afraid to eat is the Sardinian delicacy casu marzu or in Standard Italian, "formaggio marcio" (Moldy or rotten cheese). Moldy cheese is not really shocking to me; I love cheese and I know that other fine cheeses like the French Roquefort could also be called moldy cheese. I have decided not to describe casu marzu here, but if you're very curious and not easily disgusted by exotic foods you can either read the Italian wikipedia article linked above or this English article. As a warning, I do suggest not reading either article on a full stomach! Fascinating to read about but I'll probably stick to eating ordinary pecorino when, or if, I travel to Sardinia.

a dopo
Mick

Edited by mick33 on 09 November 2011 at 9:55pm

mick33
United States
Joined 5709 days ago

1335 posts - 1632 votes 

Message 206 of 228
09 November 2011 at 11:04pm | IP Logged 
Avevo guardato la televisione e ho riflettuto questa domanda, C'è qualcosa di decente alla televisione? Sì, ci sono così tanti belli spettacoli.

Yes, that was my first time writing in Italian YAY!! I hope I used the right verb tenses and to be sure I am not misunderstood, I meant to type something like "I have been watching TV and pondering the question 'Is there anyhting good on TV?' Yes, there are many good shows." I was referring to Italian TV but figuring out how to write that could have taken all afternoon and I want to get back to watching Porta a Porta (Door to Door).

Porta a Porta will give me about 1 hour and 45 minutes worth of exposure to spoken Italian when it is done, but it was not the inspiration for this post or my first crack at writing Italian. That honor goes to Passagio a Nord-Ovest. I watched most of one episode last Saturday. The first part was about Il Monumento Nazionale a Vittorio Emanuele II or Il Vittoriano (The National Monument to Victor Emmanuel II) and the next segment was about a town in Northern Norway (I missed the name, but it could have been Tromsø) and showed some stunning images of the aurora borealis that almost made me want to go to Norway during the winter.

After I finish watching Porta a Porta I will have another go at reading Italian. I just have to find something simple; the newspapers are still too advanced for me.

Arrivederci
Mick

Edited by mick33 on 10 November 2011 at 8:02pm

Iversen
Super Polyglot
Denmark
berejst.dk
Joined 6488 days ago

9078 posts - 16473 votes 
Speaks: Danish*, French, English, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Dutch, Swedish, Esperanto, Romanian, Catalan
Studies: Afrikaans, Greek, Norwegian, Russian, Serbian, Icelandic, Latin, Irish, Lowland Scots, Indonesian, Polish, Croatian
Personal Language Map

Message 207 of 228
10 November 2011 at 9:54am | IP Logged 
Porta a Porta ?

mick33
United States
Joined 5709 days ago

1335 posts - 1632 votes 

Message 208 of 228
10 November 2011 at 8:35pm | IP Logged 
I knew I'd forgotten something. Porta a Porta is an Italian talk show. The episode I watched yesterday discussed the state of Italy's economy and Berlusconi's resignation, and I think politics is a frequent discussion topic on the show, in fact it may be the only topic they talk about but it was still interesting to watch... once. I understood very little of what was actually said, though I did hear the words "economiche" and "elezione" quite often.

This discussion contains 228 messages over 29 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version