Register  Login  Active Topics  Maps  

Mick’s Continuous TAC Multilingual Bliss!

Language Learning Forum : Language Learning Log Post Reply
228 messages over 29 pages: << Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 28 29 Next >>
mick33
United States
Joined 5711 days ago

1335 posts - 1632 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Finnish
Studies: Thai, Polish, Afrikaans, Hindi, Hungarian, Italian, Spanish, Swedish

Message 217 of 228
18 December 2011 at 10:35am | IP Logged 
mick33 wrote:
I didn't want to admit in my last post that I am indeed giving in to the temptation to learn Thai, I wanted to resist, but I am weak. I began reading about whether I should learn the Thai alphabet or one of the 4 or 5 romanization schemes earlier this evening and I am now seriously considering learning Thai for the next 6 Week Challenge in February; that is if I can wait that long.

I will admit the obvious and write that, yes I am learning Thai. I could not wait for the February 6WC and that doesn't bother me too much. I was wrong about there being 4 or 5 five romanization schemes for Thai, according to this site there are at least 12 romanizations. I would rather avoid them altogether, but this may not be possible since it seems that most websites and courses use some form of romanization to teach Thai; even the IPA is mostly romanization. Since I can't entirely avoid romanization in some form I will also learn the Thai alphabet at the same time and hope that I can rely on my usually decent visual memory to help me switch to using the actual Thai alphabet very quickly.

I have already begun listening to spoken Thai. I knew that Thai has 5 tones, but I've only noticed 3 of them so far. I won't worry about it, just do what I always write about doing and continue to listen to the language and mimic the sounds I hear as best I can. The tones will begin to sound natural eventually.

For other languages, well I didn't do much with since my last message. I have been decorating for Christmas and attending a few Christmas parties and next week will likely be more of the same, but I will make some time for all of the languages. TAC 2012 must get off to a better start for me than 2011 did.

Buonanotte
Mick

Edited by mick33 on 04 January 2012 at 9:22am

1 person has voted this message useful

mick33
United States
Joined 5711 days ago

1335 posts - 1632 votes 

Message 218 of 228
22 December 2011 at 11:04am | IP Logged 
I have begun learning the Thai script and my first impression was, "This is different, very different, but it is not too difficult." That was when I had only looked at, listened to and attempted writing the consonants. I was forced to eat my words when I saw the vowels and almost cried when I noticed how many combinations of vowels there can be, however at least there are only nine basic sounds from which the rest can be built. My handwriting has almost always been sloppy in any language and my versions of Thai letters are no exception but this is my first time trying to draw these letters. Thankfully, even somewhat complicated letters like ฐ and ฒ are much easier than many Chinese characters or Arabic letters.

Ho letto della città Trieste. Trieste è una bella città, ma è meno famosa che Firenze o Venezia. Vorrei che andare a Trieste un giorno.

The last paragraph was my latest attempt to write Italian. I can't read Italian very well yet, or I would have written more but I needed to practice writing.

Arrivederci
Mick

mick33
United States
Joined 5711 days ago

1335 posts - 1632 votes 

Message 219 of 228
23 December 2011 at 11:33am | IP Logged 
Igår var ett skandinaviskt språk dag. Innan har jag skrivit om älvdalskan även fast jag visste jag skulle aldrig lära mig det. Den har tiden jag läste en norsk artikel om jamska och trönderska. Jamska och trönderska dialekter (eller språk)kunde vara ganska liknande, och de har dialekterna talas i Jämtland och Tröndelag respektivt. De har dialekter är intressant, men jämtlands historia är mera intressant och må förklara likheterna mellan jamska och trönderska. Jämtland ligger mellan sverige och norge och gränsar Tröndelag. Nu är Jämtland ett svenskt landskap men det brukade byta ägare ofta. Det har landskapet var självständig tills 1176 när det blev norskt område till 1645. I 1645 blev jämtland ett svenskt område, ändå sverige och norge kämpade över det har landskap ofta. I verligheten skiftade det har området mellan de två länder 13 gånger under perioden 1563-1677. De jämskt människorna tycker sig att ha ett nära socialt samband med tröndelag så naturligtvis är de har språk också likadan. Jag läst lita norska (det första artikel är norsk) och förstå mera än jag skulle förvänta, även om norsk stavning är för mig skild från svensk stavning.

Yesterday I read about Scandinavian dialects (or regional languages). This time it was Jamtlandic and Trondersk. They are supposed to be closely related because of the history of Jämtland and Trøndelag. Jämtland was passed back and forth between Norway and Sweden many times, but is now part of Sweden. I also mentioned that I can read and understand some written Norwegian, even if the spelling looks a little different.

I am certain that I will not be doing much with languages over the weekend since it's Christmas, so I wish everyone

God Jul
Buon Natale
Feliz Navidad
Geseënde Kersfees
Hyvää Joulua

Mick

EDIT: I changed a few things in my Swedish. I hope my message is better because of the changes, but maybe reading about Jamtlandic from a Norwegian website and writing about it in Swedish is not a good idea yet. My Swedish is obviously not great, and Norwegian spelling slows me down when reading as I am not used to it.

Edited by mick33 on 28 December 2011 at 8:32pm

mick33
United States
Joined 5711 days ago

1335 posts - 1632 votes 

Message 220 of 228
28 December 2011 at 2:42am | IP Logged 
Jag gick i IKEA butik idag. Det var nöje! IKEA handelsvaror har lustigt namn. Til exempel, Varför är ett kök heta "ramsjö", eller ett överkast heter "mysa strå? En annan lustigt namn var "snövita", det har var namnet för en ljusstake, och ljusstaken är inte vit. Jag fattar det inte, särskilt om överkastet har ingen strå men är göra av bomull. Jag tycker vanligen om att köpa, men jag blev också mycket irriterad med min familj, de gillar några anskrämlig gröna eller bruna möbler....Usch!! Det är inte i min smak. Jag åt lunch i IKEA restaurangen klockan ett. Jag var mycket hungrigt och åt köttbullar med köttsaft och lingonsylt, potatismos, en små grönsallad och chokladkaka.

I went to IKEA today. I had fun reading the Swedish names for the merchandise. It's hard to believe that anyone would call a kitchen "ramsjö". I am unclear of what "ram" means in Swedish but I am certain that "sjö" is a word for lake. Two more funny names were "Mysa strå" for a quilt made of cotton and a candlestick called "snövita". I believe that "mysa" means "smile" and "strå" is "straw", while the candlestick was not "snow-white". I like shopping but I went to IKEA with my family and I don't like the same furniture they do, sometimes I think they have bad taste. At 1 o'clock I was still at IKEA and was getting very hungry so I went to the restaurant. I ate meatballs with gravy and lingonberry jam. mashed potatoes, a small green salad and a slice of chocolate cake.

Tonight I plan to read, and listen to, Spanish; as I have neglected this language for too long. I hope I haven't forgotten much, but I will know for certain tomorrow.

Hej då
Mick

Edited by mick33 on 20 October 2012 at 6:22am

songlines
Pro Member
Canada
flickr.com/photos/cp
Joined 4996 days ago

729 posts - 1056 votes 
Studies: French
Personal Language Map

Message 221 of 228
28 December 2011 at 6:09am | IP Logged 
From a language-learning perspective, perhaps the best part of going to Ikea is getting the product assembly and
care instructions in multiple languages.

But if you really like the Swedish names: David Lebovitz, a Paris-based American pastry chef, has an amusing little
piece on his visit to Ikea, incorporating fake-Swedish names for the products. I don't know if the humour falls flat if
you actually do really know Swedish, but here's the link:

http://www.davidlebovitz.com/2007/04/je-
craquepour-l-1/

Iversen
Super Polyglot
Denmark
berejst.dk
Joined 6490 days ago

9078 posts - 16473 votes 
Speaks: Danish*, French, English, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Dutch, Swedish, Esperanto, Romanian, Catalan
Studies: Afrikaans, Greek, Norwegian, Russian, Serbian, Icelandic, Latin, Irish, Lowland Scots, Indonesian, Polish, Croatian
Personal Language Map

Message 222 of 228
28 December 2011 at 2:07pm | IP Logged 
I have never been inside an Ikea nor read the catalogue so I don't know much about the original Swedish/Ikeastish product names - but apart from Daim there aren't any trace of Swedish products in the array of names lined up here. They are in Mock English with a funny spelling, and yes, they are funny.

PS: "DRËKK" is in Mock Gërman

Edited by Iversen on 28 December 2011 at 2:12pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

Brun Ugle
Diglot
Norway
brunugle.wordpress.c
Joined 6407 days ago

1292 posts - 1766 votes 
Speaks: English*, NorwegianC1
Studies: Japanese, Esperanto, Spanish, Finnish

Message 223 of 228
28 December 2011 at 2:18pm | IP Logged 
Det er kjempekult at du leser om Trøndelag. Hvis du noen gang bestemmer deg for å lære norsk på ordentlig, burde du lære en trøndersk dialekt. De er de beste i hele Norge!

P.S. Jeg bor i Trøndelag -- et fantastisk sted.

songlines
Pro Member
Canada
flickr.com/photos/cp
Joined 4996 days ago

729 posts - 1056 votes 
Studies: French
Personal Language Map

Message 224 of 228
29 December 2011 at 7:51am | IP Logged 
Iversen wrote:
I have never been inside an Ikea nor read the catalogue so I don't know much about the original
Swedish/Ikeastish product names - but apart from Daim there aren't any trace of Swedish products in the array of
names lined up here. They are in Mock English with a funny spelling, and yes, they are funny.

PS: "DRËKK" is in Mock Gërman

Ah yes, "mock-Swedish" is indeed the term I'd meant to use, rather than "fake-Swedish". - Thanks, Iversen.

This discussion contains 228 messages over 29 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version