Register  Login  Active Topics  Maps  

Mick’s Continuous TAC Multilingual Bliss!

Language Learning Forum : Language Learning Log Post Reply
228 messages over 29 pages: << Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 9 ... 28 29 Next >>
mick33
United States
Joined 5706 days ago

1335 posts - 1632 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Finnish
Studies: Thai, Polish, Afrikaans, Hindi, Hungarian, Italian, Spanish, Swedish

Message 65 of 228
04 June 2010 at 11:28am | IP Logged 
Idag har jag någon slumpmässig funderingar kring mina TAC dagbok (eller blogg?) och mitt liv.

Jag skulle skrivit en uppsats för psykologi kurs nu, men jag skulle hellre äta äpplena.

Igår förundrar jag om jag skulle läsa finska språk, och glömma bort det andra språk, men jag njuter dem så mycket.

Jag ska en veckas semester nästa vecka. Vad ska jag göra ta mig till? Jag har en middag inbjudan den femtonde juni, och jag kommer att sitta barnvakt min brorson för två dagarna, men jag har ingen andra idéerna.

Jag har inga högre tankar om mitt psykologi professor. Jag tycker att hon är mycket inte profesionell. Ibland är hennes föreläsningar pueril eller upprepande. Du kan inte ana hur glad jag är att kurset ska sluta nästa tisdag.

God natt
Mick

EDIT: I'm wondering if the last sentence should start with the word "Ni" instead; I meant the plural "you". Then again, I guess I shouldn't be surprised if I confuse "du" and "ni", after all English uses "you" for both.

Edited by mick33 on 15 June 2010 at 11:42pm

1 person has voted this message useful

mick33
United States
Joined 5706 days ago

1335 posts - 1632 votes 

Message 66 of 228
09 June 2010 at 11:01am | IP Logged 
¡Ay carumba! No quiero estudiar quimíca nunca más, es muy dificíl. No explique por qué yo comenzaba aprender el idioma islandés la sábado pasado porque yo no sé. No escribo ninguno islandés ahora, pero yo prepare escribir una mensaje en el islandés en fecha próxima. Estoy muy cansado, y tengo que despiértame a las siete por la mañana.

Buenas noches
Mick

Edited by mick33 on 15 June 2010 at 9:13pm

Marikki
Tetraglot
Finland
Joined 5277 days ago

130 posts - 210 votes 
Speaks: Finnish*, English, Spanish, Swedish
Studies: German

Message 67 of 228
09 June 2010 at 8:26pm | IP Logged 
Heippa Mick,

Käväisin vaan katsomassa, oletko vielä jatkanut suomen opintojasi ;) Ilokseni sain lukea, että olet jopa miettinyt, pitäisikö sinun jättää muiden kielten opiskelu vähemmälle ja keskittyä kokonaan suomen kieleen.

Sinulla on kieltämättä monta rautaa tulessa ja varmasti aika ei aina riitä kaikkeen siihen, mitä haluaisit tehdä. Mutta taidat kuitenkin olla sellainen ihminen, joka pitää vaihtelusta ja itse asiassa tarvitsee vaihtelua, jotta jaksaa taas jatkaa..:)

Terveisin Marikki

Edited by Marikki on 09 June 2010 at 8:27pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

mick33
United States
Joined 5706 days ago

1335 posts - 1632 votes 

Message 68 of 228
16 June 2010 at 1:08am | IP Logged 
I have indeed decided to focus more on Finnish, as my knowledge and speaking/listening/reading comprehension levels are still very, very low and I want to improve, even if the other three languages get neglected sometimes. I think verbs are very important in most languages so last night I made a few wordlists for Finnish verbs. I often forget the Finnish verbs I'd already learned, so I reviewed them as well, although I always remember "olla" (to be) and "rakastaa" (to love). Below I will list a few of the verbs I learned:

aloittaa - to begin, to start
kuulla - to hear
sortaa - to collapse
kieltää - to deny
herättää - to wake someone up
tuoda - to bring
etsiä - to look for
ajatella - to think about something

I also re-read (for the 5th time!) the second chapter of Teach Yourself Finnish and I finally remember that consonant gradation, which I wrote a little about here occurs with the endings: -ssa/ssä,
-sta/stä, -lla/llä, -lta/ltä, -lle, -ksi, -t (the nominative plural ending) and -n (the genitive singular).

I will listen to more spoken Finnish right now then I'll need to get ready to go out to dinner this evening.

Mick

Edited by mick33 on 27 June 2010 at 12:49am

mick33
United States
Joined 5706 days ago

1335 posts - 1632 votes 

Message 69 of 228
19 June 2010 at 10:24am | IP Logged 
I have learnt a few more Finnish verbs since Tuesday. I've only looked at the present tense conjugations and I will learn conjuagtions for the other verb tenses after I've become comfortable with the present tense; which shouldn't take long. I've noticed that my listening comprehension is reaching a weird stage where I believe that I recognize many individual words but still can't actually understand the sentences, which makes me think that my ability to understand Finnish (or any language) will come in spurts.

On an almost totally unrelated note, I've found a reason to claim I am still learning English. I have been spending a lot of time at my brother's house lately and while I was there yesterday I read the first four chapters of Great Expectations by Charles Dickens and I found the word "contumaciously"; which I had never heard or seen before. I rarely need to use a dictionary for English words anymore; but this time I was completely lost. I even called my parents to ask if either of them knew the meaning of "contumaciously" and when they didn't know I had to consult two dictionaries before I learned that "contumacious" is an adjective meaning "stubbornly perverse or rebellious; willfully disobedient" and "contumaciously" is an adverb.

Nähdään myöhemmin
Mick

Edited by mick33 on 14 October 2010 at 10:28am

mick33
United States
Joined 5706 days ago

1335 posts - 1632 votes 

Message 70 of 228
22 June 2010 at 1:17am | IP Logged 
Ja, jag fortfarande koncentrerar på finska, men jag ska inte ignorera ander språk. I eftermiddag läste jag om midsommar. I Scandanavien celebrar de midsommar nu, och i Washington kunde jag början av sommar celebrar om vadret skulle tillåter. Tyvarr är det mulet och kall.

I've also been learning more Finnish vocabulary such as the words for the days of the week some general time words and how to actually tell the time of day. When telling time, an important phrase is "kello on" so if someone asked "Mitä kello on?" (What time is it?) I could say "Kello on kymmenen vaille neljä" (It is ten to four).

Days of the week
maanantai - Monday
tiistai - Tuesday
keskiviikko - Wednesday
torstai - Thursday
perjantai - Friday
lauantai - Saturday
suununtai - Sunday

maanantaina - on Monday
tiistaina on - Tuesday
keskiviikkona - on Wednesday
torstaina - on Thursday
perjantaina - on Friday
lauantaina - on Saturday
sunnuntaina - on Sunday

General time words
eilen - yesterday
tänään - today
huomenna - tomorrow
ylihuomenna - the day after tomorrow
toissapäivänä - the day before yesterday

aamu - morning
aamulla - in the morning
aamupäivällä - in the morning
päivä - day
päivällä - in the daytime     
ilta - evening
illalla - in the evening
iltapäivällä -in the afternoon
yö - night
yöllä - at night     

nyt - now
heti - immediately
äsken - a moment ago
pian - soon
myöhemmin - later

Now I will listen to some spoken Finnish and maybe some spoken Swedish also.

Näkemiin
Hej då
Mick

mick33
United States
Joined 5706 days ago

1335 posts - 1632 votes 

Message 71 of 228
26 June 2010 at 11:53pm | IP Logged 
Well, this week has been eventful for me. I've decided I need to take a break from school for a while; perhaps the rest of the year. Since I won't be attending school, I need to get a job, which will change my study schedule somewhat. Maybe that doesn't matter, since my study schedule is more of a guide than something I strictly follow.   

I have been busy cleaning my house and reorganizing some of my belongings including various language learning materials and helping my youngest brother prepare to move this week and have had little time for the forum. I have been practicing Finnish and Swedish pronunciation a lot. I've noticed that when I compare my attempts to pronounce Swedish and Finnish words with my attempts to pronounce Afrikaans or Spanish words that Spanish and Afrikaans words feel a little more natural; then again I've been learning learning Afrikaans and Spanish for a longer period of time so that is to be expected. Yesterday I tried to read the Finnish Wikipedia article about Olavinlinna castle in Savonlinna but the vocabulary was too advanced for me and I had to switch to the English article which is different and may have had less information. I still think it was worthwhile to try to read the Finnish article; it gave me a vague idea of what I know and how much I still need to learn. I'm also working on translating a Finnish song into English, but it's taking a little longer than I expected, though once I get a job I'll finally buy a Finnish-English dictionary which should speed things up.

Hyvää viikonloppua
Mick

Edited by mick33 on 03 July 2010 at 9:46am

mick33
United States
Joined 5706 days ago

1335 posts - 1632 votes 

Message 72 of 228
03 July 2010 at 10:37am | IP Logged 
Success! I completed a song translaton from Finnish to English yesterday. This translation is not as literal as some others, definitely can't be sung and could have more mistakes than previous translations.

Herra Ylppö & Ihmiset - Pojat ei Tanssi

Pojat ei Tanssi
Boys don't dance

Pojat ei tanssi
Pojat ei juorua
Pojat ei pillitä
Eikä juo siideriä
ja mitä pojat puhuu tytöistä
Kun tytöt ei oo paikalla
Onko se painokelpoista
tai laulun arvoista?

Boys don't dance
Boys don't gossip
Boys don't cry
nor drink cider
and if boys talk about girls
when girls aren't around
Is it worthwhile? not sure if this line is right
or deserve a song?

Minä haluan hieman huvia
seikkailuja, elokuvia
sekopäänä, hulluna heilua
ja rakastaa sinua

I want a little fun
adventures, movies
a nutcase who alternates between crazy unclear on this one
and loving you

Tytöt ei kiroa
Tytöt ei hikoa
Tytöt ei oo ilkeitä eikä liiku jengeissä
ja mitä tytöt puhuu pojista
Kun pojat ei oo paikalla
Onko se painokelpoista
tai laulun arvoista?

Girls don't curse
Girls don't sweat
girls aren't mean nor travel in packs jengeissacould also mean in gangs
and if girls talk about boys
when boys aren't around
Is it worthwhile
or deserve a song?

Minä haluan hieman huvia
seikkailuja, elokuvia
ja rakastaa sinua

I want a little fun
adventures, movies
a nutcase who alternates between crazy
and loving you

Sinä haluat hieman huvia
seikkailuja, leiritulia
olla nuoria, tanssia nurmikolla
ja rakastaa minua

You want a little fun
adventures, campfire
to be young, dancing on the lawn
and loving me

Pojat ei tanssi x4
Boys don't dance x4

Minä haluan hieman huvia
seikkailuja, elokuvia
ja rakastaa sinua

I want a little fun
adventures, movies
a nutcase who alternates between crazy
and loving you

Sinä haluat hieman huvia
seikkailuja, leiritulia
olla nuoria, tanssia nurmikolla
ja rakastaa minua

You want a little fun
adventures, campfire
to be young, dancing on the lawn
and loving me

ja sinä huulipunalla pelleilet
mutta pojat ei tanssi
vaikka stereot pauhaa
ja sinä huulipunalla pelleilet
mutta pojat ei tanssi
vaikka basso jauhaa

and you fool around with red lipstick? I think this line is incorrect also
but boys don't dance
even if stereos rumble
and you fool around with red lipstick?
but boys don't dance
even if the bass rumbles

pojat ei tanssi x8
boys don't dance x8

ei pojat tanssi
no boys dance

This one will definitely need some corrections, but I still think it was helpful because I learned more vocabulary an started to remember more case endings just by doing the translation.

I also found some videos on YouTube of someone from Japan who plays the kantele, a traditional Finnish stringed instrument somewhat similar to a zither. Enjoy

Excerpt from Finlandia
Kalevala hymn

Hyvää yötä ja
Kauniita unia
Mick

Edited by mick33 on 03 July 2010 at 10:39am

This discussion contains 228 messages over 29 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 810 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version