Register  Login  Active Topics  Maps  

Mick’s Continuous TAC Multilingual Bliss!

Language Learning Forum : Language Learning Log Post Reply
228 messages over 29 pages: << Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 16 ... 28 29 Next >>
mick33
United States
Joined 5735 days ago

1335 posts - 1632 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Finnish
Studies: Thai, Polish, Afrikaans, Hindi, Hungarian, Italian, Spanish, Swedish

Message 121 of 228
17 December 2010 at 8:44pm | IP Logged 
mick33 wrote:
Dum dator! Jag gillar inte min dator ibland. Jag hade ämnat att fortsätta min förklaring tidigare ikväll, men min dator fungerade inte igen. Kanske ska jag en splitter ny dator köpa snart, om jag bara ha pengar nog. Nåja, min dator fungerar nu så jag är tillbaka.

Computer troubles again!
Bevars! Min dator är fortfarande inte fungera rätt. I natt ville jag att skriva mera här men min dator slutade fungera. Jag vet inte hur länge det här dator ska fungera så jag måste skriva snabbt.

Även fast jag känns så arg om min dator, jag är verkligen lycklig. Det är nästan jultid, och jag läser om kanelbullar. Jag tänker att kanelbullar skulle vara läcker, kanske kokar jag några kanelbullar ikväll. Artikeln är skrivande på engelska, men jag ser ingen svensk översättning och jag tror den engelsk artikeln är originaltext.

Well, I'm still having problems with my computer, and I don't know how long it will keep working so I tried to type quickly. I've been reading about kanelbullar which are small cinnamon rolls. The recipe sounds good, maybe I will make some tonight.

Hej då
ha det så bra
Mick

Edited by mick33 on 08 December 2011 at 10:51pm

1 person has voted this message useful

mick33
United States
Joined 5735 days ago

1335 posts - 1632 votes 

Message 122 of 228
20 December 2010 at 9:58am | IP Logged 
Jadå, jag oroar sig i onödan ibland. Min dator fortsätter fungera. Det är bra att min dator fortfarande fungerar eftersom jag kan inte köpa en ny dator till efter nyår.

Jag läst mera om svensk kokkonst och jag vil gärna ha köttbular, swampsoppa och hjortronparfait. Jag vet att jag kan köka köttbullar eller swampsoppa här i Washington, men jag måste resa til Skandinavien om jag vill ha hjortron.

God natt
Mick

mick33
United States
Joined 5735 days ago

1335 posts - 1632 votes 

Message 123 of 228
23 December 2010 at 8:11am | IP Logged 
I didn't make any kanelbullar or do much studying of any language this week, but Christmastime is usually a bad time for me to get any language learning done so that's not a surprise. I have also been thinking about what I accomplished during TAC 2010. I have to be honest and admit that I did not meet my goals this year (I won't quote from my first post in this log here because it's very long). When I first came to this realization, my next thought was that my goals were completely unrealistic and were not good goals. When I reflected further on my language learning this year it occurred to me that the problem was not that my goals were complelely unrealistic but rather that I would need much more than a year to achieve these goals. This isn't a surprise, I spent much of the year focusing on Swedish, which meant the other languages were often neglected; I can only hope I haven't forgotten too much Spanish. I have admitted in other threads (which I can't find now) that I learn languages at a slow pace and I usually see language wanderlust as good thing provided I don't get too distracted. There is nothing wrong with being ambitious in language learning, or anything else, so I will continue this log next year and keep the same goals because I think they are actually good goals but one of my deadlines for assessing my progress toward achieving these goals may be the end of 2011. I know I will never stop learning English, and I doubt I will stop learning the other languages I am interested in either.

I hope everyone else had a good year learning languages and wish you good luck next year as well

God Jul
Hyvää Joulua
Geseënde Kersfees
Feliz Navidad
Mick

Edited by mick33 on 31 March 2011 at 9:09pm

polyglossia
FranceRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5215 days ago

205 posts - 255 votes 
Speaks: French*

Message 124 of 228
23 December 2010 at 11:02pm | IP Logged 
BTW nice try with swedish mike !!!!

Merry Xmas!
2 persons have voted this message useful

mick33
United States
Joined 5735 days ago

1335 posts - 1632 votes 

Message 125 of 228
24 December 2010 at 6:15pm | IP Logged 
Thank you polyglossia!

This will be somewhat of a continuation of my last post. I know I've made some progress with written Swedish, but my often disorganized study habits make it difficult to say just how much progress I've made. I have no doubt that there are many mistakes in my writing, such as unnatural sentence construction and unusual word choices. Writing does help me think in Swedish though the thoughts are often very simple statements and I often forget the verb conjugations. I also know I must listen to, and read, much more Swedish since my listening and reading comprehension is still so low as to be virtually useless. Speaking and pronunciation are things I can't really evaluate, but I feel very uncomfortable saying Swedish words or phrases, so I assume I still have much work to do.

Vi ses nästa vecka
Mick

Edited by mick33 on 24 December 2010 at 6:17pm

mick33
United States
Joined 5735 days ago

1335 posts - 1632 votes 

Message 126 of 228
31 December 2010 at 1:16am | IP Logged 
I went one week without posting and expected my log to have vanished without a trace, but it didn't. Even though it was buried on page 4 of the Language Learning Log subforum, it somehow received over 200 views in that time. Wow! I had no idea my log was that interesting, but I guess it is.

I have little to say about language study for the past week, because I've had little time for languages over the Christmas holiday. This isn't a surprise since the same thing happened last year. I did dabble with Hungarian, Icelandic and Faeroese a little but all that really happened was I finally learned some Hungarian phrases and verb conjugations. When I find my notes again, I'll have more to write about Hungarian.

This morning I discovered something interesting about Swedish when I was looking up the word "gift" in my Langenscheidt bilingual dictionary. I had thought that "gift" corresponded to "marry", but according to my dictionary it means "poison" and "gifta sig" is a reflexive verb meaning "to marry". This was so intriguing that I decided to check Norstedts online Swedish-English dictionary. According the online dictionary, "gift" is a noun that corresponds to the English words "poison", "venom", "virus" and "toxin". However, when used as an adjective, "gift" means "married". "Gifta" and "gifta sig" are both verbs that mean "to marry" and "to marry someone" respectively and "gifte" is "marriage". Hmmm.... I'm pretty sure that it would be very obvious from context whether one is talking, or writing about marriage or poison but maybe not always. I had hoped that the noun genders would help avoid possible confusion, but it looks like it is possible to speak of things like "ett gift par" (a married couple) or "ett smygande gift" (a slow and/or insidious poison). To make matters worse, "gifte" also takes the "ett" gender so I also find the word "giftet" (the marriage). I know this kind of confusion can be found in all languages, but I can't think of any examples from other languages right now.

Adjö så länge
Mick

EDIT: I will start TAC 2011 on Monday, so that is when I will my 6-week challenge for Dutch.

Edited by mick33 on 31 December 2010 at 9:54am

mick33
United States
Joined 5735 days ago

1335 posts - 1632 votes 

Message 127 of 228
31 December 2010 at 11:07am | IP Logged 
mick33 wrote:
When I find my notes again, I'll have more to write about Hungarian.
I found my notes, so I can now write more about Hungarian. My knowledge of Hungarian is still very limited, but I wanted to have what little I do know in one place. First, I will list some pronouns and then a few conjugations for lenni (to be), and just like in many other languages "lenni" has irregular conjugation.

Personal Pronouns
Singular forms      Plural forms
én -   I mi - we
te - you (familiar) ti - you (familiar)
maga - you (formal) maguk - you (formal)
ön - you (official) önök - you (official)
ő - he or she       ők - they

Lenni - present tense conjugations
(én)vagyok - I am        (mi)vagyunk - we are
(te)vagy - you are       (ti)vagytok - you are
(maga, ön,ő)van - you are, he is or she is (maguk, önök,ők)vannak - you/they are
Except for "ő" and "ők", the personal are usually omitted, but like in Spanish they can be used for emphasis

Now a few greetings and goodbyes
formal greetings NB. kívánok means I wish and it can be omitted.
Jó reggelt (kívánok) - Good morning (before 9 am)
Jó napot (kívánok) - Good morning/afternoon (9am -7pm)
Jó estét (kívánok) - Good evening
Jó éjszakát (kívánok) Good night
informal greetings which can also be used to say "bye"
singular plural
szia     sziasztok
szevasz szevasztok
szervusz szervusztok
The last two might be outdated.

I can't write much yet in Hungarian yet, so I won't attempt it yet and I have noticed that many, or maybe most of the verbs have definite and indefinite conjugations though I don't when or how to use them. Anyone who read last year's log may remember that I mentioned that Hungarian uses more postpostions than Finnish and this makes for unusual word order. This doesn't seem difficult now, just different. There is vowel harmony, which is a concept I remember form Finnish, but Hungarian vowel harmony seems to be a little more complex. The Hungarian alphabet has more vowels than Finnish, if I ignore diphthongs, yet Hungarian spelling seems to use more consonants... could this be the influence of Slavic languages?

I don't plan on posting again until Monday, so I wish everyone
Gott nytt år!
Hyvää uuttavuotta!
¡Feliz año nuevo!
Gelukkige nuwe jaar!
Mick

Edited by mick33 on 05 January 2011 at 9:31am

mick33
United States
Joined 5735 days ago

1335 posts - 1632 votes 

Message 128 of 228
05 January 2011 at 9:29am | IP Logged 
Another TAC has begun! Yeah, I know I'm a day late in writing here, but I really did begin TAC on Monday and earlier today my Dutch challenge started. What I will do is learn Dutch instead of Afrikaans on Tuesdays, Thursdays and Saturdays for the next six weeks. Yes, I am going back to my basic study schedule from last year and hopefully this means I will write messages here more often.

I was unsure of where to begin with Dutch since I already know some Afrikaans but I eventually decided to start with pronunciation and a few verb conjugations. From previous dabblings with Dutch, such as my disastrous attempt at learning Dutch and Afrikaans simultaneously in 2007, I knew that some of the double vowels and diphthongs are different sounds than in Afrikaans, but most aren't difficult for me, even if I still sound like an English speaker. There were a few surprises though, mostly because I had forgotten about "eu", "eeuw", "ieuw" and "uw". I also noticed that in words like "binnen", and "talen" the final "n" is not pronounced. Verb conjugations will be important for me too, since Afrikaans has only two verbs that conjugate. I started with two very common, but irregular, verbs; zijn (to be) and hebben (to have)

Present tense
zijn
ik ben - I am
jij/je bent - you are (although in questions it would be "Ben jij/je...?"
u bent - you are (U is formal you in both singular and plural)
hij/zij is - he/she is
wij zijn - we are
jullie zijn - you are(informal plural you)
zij zijn - they are

hebben
ik heb - I have
jij/je hebt - you have (also in questions "Heb jij/je...?")
u hebt or heeft - you have (U is formal you in both singular and plural)
hij/zij heeft - he/she is
wij hebben - we have
jullie hebben - you have
zij hebben - they have

I will list more verb conjugations on Thursday and probably get into other tenses as well so that I can start writing in Dutch. This should also improve my reading comprehension.

I also discovered that the speakers on the recordings that accompany Teach Yourself Dutch sound like they are speaking very slowly in the first three chapters. Maybe I understand a little more spoken Dutch than I expected I would, but I doubt it because the speakers really are talking at an unnatural speed.

I neglected Spanish again but I will definitely have something to say in, or at least about Spanish on Thursday. Tomorrow I will work on verb conjugations and translate some songs in Swedish and Finnish.

Goedenacht
Mick

This discussion contains 228 messages over 29 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version