ALS
United States
Joined 5617 days ago

104 posts - 131 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Norwegian, Finnish, Russian

Message 17 of 20
10 February 2010 at 1:04am | IP Logged 
After trying Rosetta Stone many times with many different languages, I firmly believe it should not be used as the first course for your intended language and that it's best used after you have a good grounding in the language. Such as finishing the Michel Thomas courses, which mostly focus on grammar and pronunciation, and then using Rosetta Stone for vocabulary and exposure. I believe there are two major flaws with Rosetta Stone.

1) The complete lack of explanation or reference for grammar points. Even a companion booklet that follows along the RS course and explains grammar points as they are presented would vastly increase the value of RS.

2) The cost. For the same price as Rosetta Stone I can get an entire Michel Thomas course and a library's worth of grammar books, dictionaries, children's readers, etc. This is most apparent when you compare different languages; nearly every RS course is exactly the same, regardless of languages, with the only differences often being the pictures it uses. I have a hard time believing they need to charge that much money for the little amount of work that goes into this software.
2 persons have voted this message useful

William Camden
Hexaglot
United Kingdom
Joined 6085 days ago

1936 posts - 2333 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Spanish, Russian, Turkish, French

Message 18 of 20
10 February 2010 at 4:28pm | IP Logged 
FSI is better as far as I can make out. Some of the vocabulary is out of date there in at least some of the languages, but it is free and accessible to anyone who has an Internet connection. The verdict on RS seems to be pretty mixed.
1 person has voted this message useful

Delodephius
Bilingual Tetraglot
Yugoslavia
Joined 5216 days ago

342 posts - 501 votes 
Speaks: Slovak*, Serbo-Croatian*, EnglishC1, Czech
Studies: Russian, Japanese

Message 19 of 20
11 February 2010 at 11:05am | IP Logged 
Well what version are you talking about? V2 or V3?

Anyhow, I'm learning Japanese with RS and I'm very satisfied with it, maybe because I haven't tried other programs, but then again I can't afford any (nor I think I could find any at all in my country). The most positive thing I can say about V3 is that they actually added lessons for learning Japanese scripts, so I'm learning Hiragana and Katakana and also Kanji through the Furigana option, and when I forget I can just switch to Romaji for a sec.

Destroyer
Hexaglot
Czech Republic
Joined 6399 days ago

16 posts - 17 votes
Speaks: Czech*, EnglishC2, Spanish, Russian, German, Esperanto
Studies: Japanese

Message 20 of 20
13 February 2010 at 7:59am | IP Logged 
I think that Rosetta Stone V3 is very useful as a supplement to any more standard
approach at a beginner/elementary/preintermediate level. It provides a change of pace and
can be surprisingly fun (at least for me). It helps me directly connect words with vivid
images (that are much better than in V2). Overall, I would definitely recommend it,
though not for the full retail price.

This discussion contains 20 messages over 3 pages: << Prev 1 2

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version