United States
Joined 5801 days ago

94 posts - 149 votes 
Speaks: English*, Russian
Studies: Latin, Mandarin

Message 9 of 14
10 January 2010 at 7:58pm | IP Logged 
LatinoBoy84 wrote:
There is also a two volume Free FSI course.

http://fsi-language-courses.org/Content.php?page=Turkish

I've downloaded this, and noticed it was released in the 60's. While I don't doubt the excellency of FSI's courses, from what I understand Turkish has undergone some rapid and tumultuous change in the past century, and I fear material that old might be somewhat dated.

Perhaps someone who is more familiar with the situation of Turkish/the content of the course could comment on this.
1 person has voted this message useful

LatinoBoy84
Bilingual Triglot
United States
Joined 5362 days ago

443 posts - 603 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish*, French
Studies: Russian, Portuguese, Latvian

Message 10 of 14
10 January 2010 at 8:49pm | IP Logged 
The topic has been covered a few times, go to the following thread to see a discussion on
this:

http://archive.fsi-language-courses.org/forum_posts4504.html ?TID=401
2 persons have voted this message useful

daristani
United States
Joined 6931 days ago

752 posts - 1661 votes 
Studies: Uzbek

Message 11 of 14
10 January 2010 at 10:05pm | IP Logged 
Thanks LatinoBoy84, for tracking down the above link. But as often happens in this forum, an extraneous space crept into the above URL. So here's a clickable link to the discussion in question:

http://archive.fsi-language-courses.org/forum_posts4504.html ?TID=401

To re-iterate the points made in that thread and elsewhere, I don't think there's really much worry about the language in the FSI course being outmoded, any more than using materials from the 1960s to learn English would be seen as obsolete because of the language. (Well, on second thought, you might not want to use the word "groovy" quite so much...) The basic grammar and pronunciation are the same, and most of the vocabulary is the same as well; in most cases, both the "new" and the "old" words continue to be used, even if the relative percentages vary somewhat by the age and even the political orientation of the speakers. But a lot of the big changes in vocabulary took place before the FSI course was produced, and of the "new" words invented afterwards, only some have "taken", so things have settled down substantially.

Personally, I think the FSI materials provide very useful drill materials, as well as excellent explanations of some grammatical subtleties not much addressed in a lot of other commercially available materials.
3 persons have voted this message useful

William Camden
Hexaglot
United Kingdom
Joined 6059 days ago

1936 posts - 2333 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Spanish, Russian, Turkish, French

Message 12 of 14
11 January 2010 at 2:56pm | IP Logged 
I would say Turkish vocabulary has changed rather more in 40 years than English has, and so some of the vocabulary strikes me as old-fashioned, though FSI is still valuable for the grammar.

reasonableman
United Kingdom
Joined 5442 days ago

33 posts - 35 votes
Speaks: English*
Studies: Turkish

Message 13 of 14
11 January 2010 at 7:09pm | IP Logged 
I started with TY and FSI. They seem ok.

On a recent trip to Turkey I found 'a practical course in turkish' by Müfit Yıldırımalp. It has 2 CDs and says that the authour worked at the Defense language Institute. So far is seems very clear and lots of examples.

I've only seen it in Turkey though, so not sure how you'd get it in the states. Also turkishturkish.net has some transcribed dialogues.

aliebe
Diglot
Pro Member
United States
Joined 5622 days ago

59 posts - 63 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: French, Spanish
Personal Language Map

Message 14 of 14
28 January 2010 at 5:20am | IP Logged 
I have decided to go with the TY beginner's Turkish to use as an intro and then once I have completed that I shall continue with Hugo in Three months (i found one used with cassettes) and the Lewis Thomas texts. Although truth be told I have been in a way using all three simultaneously because the grammar introductions and explanations topics such as vowel harmony are very interesting. on a side note, I am glad I have had a linguistic introduction to vowels and consonants before trying to learn this language, because as a native English speaker such concepts of front and back vowels is different. it also makes a lot of the rules regarding voice and consonants a lot easier to learn because it now appears logical (a recognized) pattern rather than a bunch of random rules I have to remember.    

This discussion contains 14 messages over 2 pages: << Prev 1

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version