FXcuisine.com
Joined 7156 days ago

3094 posts - 2987 votes 
12 sounds
Speaks: French*, EnglishC2, German, Italian, Spanish, Russian
Personal Language Map

Message 1 of 3
11 March 2005 at 7:41am | IP Logged 
Here is an empty template for the future profile of Farsi (Persian) on this website. Anybody whith a knowledge about this language, who speaks this language or is learning it is welcome to help!

The scope of each heading can be seen in the
French or Italian language profiles. Please use the scope of the existing headings ('Usefulness', 'Economic importance', etc...) for your input as I can't add new headings.

Try to write concise, informative, easy-to-read and if possible entertaining paragraphs.

You are welcome to post proposed changes to each paragraph or to write a new paragraph yourself. If you wish to insert comments, please use Italics. If you have studied the language and used it for some time, your input will be immensely valuable to prospective learners.

INTRODUCTION
No text yet.

USEFULNESS
No text yet.

CHIC FACTOR     
No text yet.

ECONOMIC IMPORTANCE
No text yet

TRAVEL OPPORTUNITIES
No text yet

COUNTRIES
No text yet.

SPEAKERS
No text yet.

VARIATIONS
No text yet.

CULTURE
No text yet.

DIFFICULTIES
No text yet.

GRAMMAR
No text yet.

PRONUNCIATION
No text yet.

VOCABULARY
No text yet.

TRANSPARENCY
No text yet.

SPELLING
No text yet.

TIME NEEDED
No text yet.

BOOKS
No text yet.

SCHOOLS
No text yet.

LINKS
No text yet.

2 persons have voted this message useful

BelgoHead
Belgium
Joined 6083 days ago

120 posts - 119 votes 
Studies: French, English*
Studies: Esperanto

Message 2 of 3
20 January 2008 at 3:56pm | IP Logged 
Im surprised no one has contributed yet....Shame on you!!! Im just going to get this thread started, feel free to correct/adjust anything i may have written.

INTRODUCTION

Farsi (Persian) is an indo-european language spoken mainly in Afghanistan and Iran and other parts of central Asia. It has many loan words from Arabic and uses a ever so slightly modified version of the Arabic alphabet. Farsi is often mistaken for arabic despite not being in the semitic branch of languages at all.

USEFULNESS

If you will be traveling to Iran,Afhghanistan or the Central Asia region were Farsi is spoken you will probably find a decent command of Farsi will be immensely useful as the population is not exposed very much to English.

Outside of Iran and parts of Central Asia like Afghanistan, Farsi will not be very useful to you unless you have ties to any expatriot farsi speaking communities. And wish to speak to them in their native tongue.

CHIC FACTOR

In the west i dare say it would not be very chicque to know Farsi as it is regarded with the same supsicious and stigma as Arabic in some circles has and has a tendency of being mistaken for Arabic. However among Farsi speakers wherever they may be in your country or in their countries of origin you will most likely be treated to a greater level of cultural/commnity inclusion then if you could not speak Farsi at all.

ECONOMIC IMPORTANCE

Not very important from an economic perspective. Iran the principle Farsi speaking country and it has sanctions placed on it at the momen. Iran is generally isolated from the west. Afghanistan likewise is one of the poorest countries in the world and any Afghan business men(If you should ever meet one) will probably have some command over english or onother language anyway.

----

ok thats it for me i will do some more later.
1 person has voted this message useful

ehabsa
Diglot
United States
languagecurrent.com
Joined 5124 days ago

22 posts - 26 votes
Speaks: Arabic (Levantine)*, Modern Hebrew
Studies: Persian

Message 3 of 3
11 June 2010 at 7:51pm | IP Logged 
I would like to suggest the following link. I used this website when I started to learn
Farsi.

www.easypersian.com

1 person has voted this message useful

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version