Gusutafu
Sweden
Joined 5308 days ago

655 posts - 1039 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*

Message 17 of 44
22 January 2010 at 6:50pm | IP Logged 
Sprachprofi wrote:

For me, that's still the most interesting use of Esperanto, to communicate with people from other countries with whom I otherwise couldn't have an easy conversation. Yes, the majority of my Esperanto friends are not fluent in English or German.

If you were just looking for penpals in other countries, the selection of people that speak English or German is many orders of magnitudes larger, so this is something of a solution to a constructed problem, isn't it? Sort of like "I decided to to only eat food that begins with vowels, and now I found this great egg and oatmeal restaurant, hooray!"

I'm joking, but still...
5 persons have voted this message useful

hombre gordo
Triglot
Japan
Joined 5370 days ago

184 posts - 247 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Japanese
Studies: Portuguese, Korean

Message 18 of 44
23 January 2010 at 4:23am | IP Logged 
Gusutafu wrote:
Sure, there are books and webpages in Esperanto, but there are about a million times more books in English...

Or in Spanish! Or in Russian! Or in Mandarin!

If you look at it this way, it would make much more sense to learn one of these languages which has a lot more literature, TV, speakers, etc...

Edited by hombre gordo on 23 January 2010 at 4:25am

1 person has voted this message useful

vilas
Pentaglot
Italy
Joined 6747 days ago

531 posts - 722 votes 
Speaks: Spanish, Italian*, English, French, Portuguese

Message 19 of 44
23 January 2010 at 8:09pm | IP Logged 
Dear Jcf if you want learn a conlang to communicate with as much people as possible choose Interlìngua because you know already Spanish so if you read down here probably you understand it already without never studied it and if you will be in italy or portugal or france and you need to talk with someone probably you'll make yourself understood. can you read what is written in the next lines?
Interlingua es un lingua auxiliar international basate super le vocabulos commun al major linguas westeuropee e super un grammatica angloromanic simplificate,

Now try to read here

Esperanto (origine Lingvo Internacia) estas la plej disvastigita internacia planlingvo.[2] La nomo venas de la kaŝnomo "Dr. Esperanto", sub kiu la hebrea kuracisto Ludoviko Lazaro Zamenhofo en la jaro 1887 publikigis la bazon de la lingvo.
Do you understand it? Now you choose!

In my opinion conlangs are games , like chess or sudoku or risiko , but Interlingua is more useful . You can talk or at least explain yourself writing in all latin countries .Esperanto is more exclusive ! But both are only games . not real languages

La best cosa que you puedes faire ist lernen Europanto , tu basta mixare dat quod te gusta de alles blablas , no reglas, nicht grammaire et adelanto mit Europanto ! la spraache mockerye nescida pour kidding tous los conlangs!

Johntm
United StatesRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5209 days ago

616 posts - 725 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish

Message 20 of 44
23 January 2010 at 10:21pm | IP Logged 
@vilas
I understood the Interlingua and I don't even know a Romance language (in all fairness I take Latin in school, but you guys know what that means)...it seems easy if someone were to learn a conlang.

vilas
Pentaglot
Italy
Joined 6747 days ago

531 posts - 722 votes 

Message 21 of 44
23 January 2010 at 11:38pm | IP Logged 
Le hereditage linguistic commun de Europa e del Americas es greco-latin. Le latino que ha supervivite in le linguas moderne es registrate in un libro per linguistas e philologos professional, qui laborava inter 1924 e 1951.
Le resultato se nomina interlingua. Su grammatica es simplificate al maximo, e un europeo o americano instruite comprende immediatemente un texto technic o scientific in interlingua a prime vista e apprende su uso active in tempore brevissime.
Su utilitate practic se ha demonstrate como lingua de summarios in publicationes scientific, super toto in le campo medical, e como lingua unic in conferentias international.
Pro le populos de Africa e Asia, interlingua servi como un clave al linguas occidental, del quales Interlingua es de facto le denominator commun.
In le instruction de linguas illo presenta un via rapide al vocabulario international (in le gymnasios svedese un subjecto independente) e un excellente preparation pro le studio de linguas romanic e in le studio avantiate del anglese
Pro uno qui ben intende pauc parolas suffice.
Have a look in interlingua.com.
It is good to remember that interlingua is an Auxiliary Language .The philosophy is different from Esperanto .Esperanto people often say that it their language is the best solution to the babel tower so is a proselitist conlang.
Interlingua is used by some pharmaucetical companies that print the info and on the medicines boxes ,because interlingua is easily understood in many countries .

Sprachprofi
Nonaglot
Germany
learnlangs.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6257 days ago

2608 posts - 4866 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, French, Esperanto, Greek, Mandarin, Latin, Dutch, Italian
Studies: Spanish, Arabic (Written), Swahili, Indonesian, Japanese, Modern Hebrew, Portuguese

Message 22 of 44
24 January 2010 at 12:15pm | IP Logged 
Anybody who knows Spanish or Italian does not need Interlingua - speakers of other Romance languages can understand Spanish or Italian just as well as they can Interlingua. If you don't know either of these languages yet, just go straight to learning one of them, as Interlingua is not significantly easier to learn, retaining much of the Romance languages' irregular features. Speakers of Romance languages do not need an auxiliary language.

Esperanto is meant as an auxiliary language for everybody, not even just Europeans. For this reason it does not resemble Romance languages as much but its grammar and vocabulary are taken from a lot more languages. Also, the focus was on making it easy to learn (for the benefit of Chinese and Kazakhs and others who don't speak any European language, or don't speak them well), rather than easy to understand without learning it. But just invest one hour of time and your comprehension of Esperanto will skyrocket. Don't believe me? Attend my 1-hour online lecture on the structure of Esperanto, Tuesday at 9pm Berlin time (CET), 3pm Eastern Standard Time.

By the way, the sentence Vilas chose for Esperanto was meant to be less accessible. Here's a direct comparison, the same sentence in both Interlingua and Esperanto:

Interlingua: Interlingua es un lingua auxiliar international basate super le vocabulos commun al major linguas westeuropee e super un grammatica angloromanic simplificate,

Esperanto: Interlingvo estas internacia helpa lingvo bazata sur vortoj komunaj al grandaj lingvoj de okcidenta Eŭropo kaj sur simpligita angla-latinida gramatiko.

Edited by Sprachprofi on 24 January 2010 at 12:17pm

vilas
Pentaglot
Italy
Joined 6747 days ago

531 posts - 722 votes 

Message 23 of 44
24 January 2010 at 2:45pm | IP Logged 
Sprachprofi said = "Anybody who knows Spanish or Italian does not need Interlingua ". Does not need Esperanto either. But Interlingua can be used (and useful) without be studied like in the case of informations on the medicine boxes.I never studied interlingua but I can understand it , to me esperanto is too weird I don like all this "j"!But I don't root for Interlingua . Conlamgs are only games and people don't waste time in learning weird things . How many opportunities you have to meet, by chance, a esperanto or interlingua speaker on a train trip? Why after 123 years of esperanto there are so few speakers ? Because there are living languages that are far better!
Now in this forum we all speak English, that for some historical reason is the real international auxiliary language!

Egoj Salutvoj a totoj esperantoj blablantoj , egoj esperoj kwe woj no esse offendoj.
Esse melioroj kwe noj parloj Englishoj

Io saluto totos le interlingua parlantes , io espero que vos no esse offenditi
Esse melius que nos parlamo anglese

doviende
Diglot
Canada
languagefixatio
Joined 5773 days ago

533 posts - 1245 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Spanish, Dutch, Mandarin, Esperanto, Hindi, Swedish, Portuguese

Message 24 of 44
24 January 2010 at 3:03pm | IP Logged 
The question of whether or not you'll meet an Esperanto speaker on a train is entirely different from the question of whether or not Esperanto is a "living language". Esperanto satisfies all requirements of being a "real language", and a "living language".

Sprachprofi is saying that learning Spanish is logically equivalent to learning Interlingua, because a) it is not any easier to learn, and b) the same benefits are gained by learning Spanish. Both of these are false when you compare Esperanto to Spanish because a) it is approximately 10x easier to learn, and b) you can talk to (some) people in China, Japan, Iran, and other places where Interlingua is not useful.

I'm learning Swedish, but I have no real chance of meeting any Swedish speakers on the train unless I go to certain parts of northern Europe, but Swedish is not a "game". I could also meet Esperanto speakers by traveling to Cuba (Universala Kongreso 2010) or Mongolia (Asian Esperanto conference for 2010) this year, among others. Here in my home town of Vancouver, I've personally met 2 people who speak Swedish (one was Steve Kaufmann who speaks 10 other languages), and I've met 2 people who speak Esperanto. So they're basically equivalent in that regard.

4 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 44 messages over 6 pages: << Prev 1 24 5 6  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version