mindofthelinguist.woRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5910 days ago

176 posts - 210 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, English, Dutch, French
Studies: German, Icelandic

Message 18 of 22
24 January 2010 at 1:59pm | IP Logged 
j0nas wrote:
taKen: 'Hvordan' in nynorsk is 'korleis', and not 'koss'. ;)

And you can use 'sjukehus' in bokmål as well.

Nope, if you write Nynorsk you can choose to write "koss", "hoss", "hossen" or "korleis". :-)

http://www.dokpro.uio.no/perl/ordboksoek/ordbok.cgi?OPP=koss &nynorsk=S%F8k+i+Nynorskordboka&ordbok=bokmaal&alfabet=n&ren set=j
1 person has voted this message useful

Iversen
Super Polyglot
Denmark
berejst.dk
Joined 6496 days ago

9078 posts - 16473 votes 
Speaks: Danish*, French, English, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Dutch, Swedish, Esperanto, Romanian, Catalan
Studies: Afrikaans, Greek, Norwegian, Russian, Serbian, Icelandic, Latin, Irish, Lowland Scots, Indonesian, Polish, Croatian
Personal Language Map

Message 19 of 22
24 January 2010 at 11:52pm | IP Logged 
... which illustrates quite well why it is difficult for outisders to get a decent grip on Nynorsk (or spokenj Norwegian in general).

Edited by Iversen on 24 January 2010 at 11:52pm

densou
Italy
foto.webalice.it/denRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5925 days ago

120 posts - 121 votes 
Speaks: Italian*

Message 20 of 22
25 January 2010 at 2:36am | IP Logged 
Iversen wrote:
...which illustrates quite well why it is difficult for outisders to get a decent grip on Nynorsk (or spokenj Norwegian in general)

*self-complaint* ....only if I were healthy....grrrr

doviende
Diglot
Canada
languagefixatio
Joined 5779 days ago

533 posts - 1245 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Spanish, Dutch, Mandarin, Esperanto, Hindi, Swedish, Portuguese

Message 21 of 22
26 January 2010 at 11:38am | IP Logged 
As a comedic interlude, I'll just point to this joke video about Danish (from a Norwegian TV show).

Seriously though, perhaps instead of trying to measure "ease" of learning one of these languages through linguistic features, one should consider the available media and learning materials available. Swedish seems to have a large share of the TV/movie/book market, so that might make it a bit easier for a foreigner to learn. Indeed, I've found it quite easy to find the books I want in Swedish, and there are some good websites with Swedish TV shows on them.

However, if I were perhaps already living in northwestern Germany, Danish might be a more logical or easier choice due to physical proximity.

As for written versus spoken, I can already understand almost as much written Danish as I can Swedish, and I haven't been studying Swedish for that long. I can't tell much so far about the spoken differences, since I'm still having trouble with spoken Swedish where I might understand the written version.

j0nas
Triglot
Groupie
Norway
Joined 5335 days ago

46 posts - 70 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, English, German

Message 22 of 22
26 January 2010 at 12:03pm | IP Logged 
Iversen wrote:
... which illustrates quite well why it is difficult for outisders to get a decent grip on Nynorsk (or spokenj Norwegian in general).

I agree. BUT, I would argue that "korleis" is used by the large majority of the nynorsk users. Even though you are allowed to use other forms.

In Bokmål, we have the forms "åssen" and "hvorledes" in addition to the normal "hvordan". Noone born after 1930 uses "hvorledes". "Åssen" is quite normal amonst us "southeastern" Norwegians, I use it myself a lot, but I would never even dream of using it in a serious, written text.

The point I am trying to make is that all these "valgformer" we have are relatively useless in the written language, but they might still be useful for understanding what some people are saying.

Edited by j0nas on 26 January 2010 at 12:08pm

This discussion contains 22 messages over 3 pages: << Prev 1 2

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version