Diglot
Sweden
Joined 5728 days ago

17 posts - 18 votes
Speaks: Swedish*, English
Studies: Japanese, German

Message 9 of 16
14 August 2008 at 8:05pm | IP Logged 
It might be important to note that a high number of Swedes write horribly incorrect Swedish and most obvious would be the constantly debated "de"(they) and "dem"(them) versus "dom" problem. The problem being that usually both "de" and "dem" are pronounced the same in casual conversation.

If one tries learning Swedish through Swedish friends over the internet who do not know/do not care about this, one will probably learn broken Swedish. There are many such problems and they are most definitely not limited to internet lingo. For example the many compound words that are incorrectly written as non-compound words, known as "särskrivning" in Swedish.

The problem is that in swedish this mistake is very common and actually changes the meaning of the sentences. Examples being "en brun hårig kvinna" (a brown hairy woman) versus "en brunhårig kvinna" (a brown-haired woman). Although funny to see sometimes, these faults can be infuriating when found in newspapers or the like.

(I am not confident enough to make actual article material, but feel free to edit or use however you wish.)

1 person has voted this message useful

SlickAs
Tetraglot
Canada
Joined 5659 days ago

185 posts - 287 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, French, Swedish
Studies: Thai, Vietnamese

Message 10 of 16
26 November 2008 at 6:33pm | IP Logged 
The problem with some of what is written here is that it is written by native speaking Swedes who generally far over-rate the difficulty of their language. For example, the de dom thing above might confuse Swedes who learned to speak it before they wrote it, but does not really confuse foreign language learners at all.

We already have 2 words for "they" and "them", thus naturally track which is the subject and object anyway. The equivelent problem for an English speaker is du-dig since we say "you" for both in English, and thus do not naturally track subject-object for the second person in our own language. But that is easily fixed when you learn it since we already track it for I-me, He-him, etc anyway.

So for mine, a text on the grammar goes:

Grammar

Swedish, being a Germanic language shares much of its word order and a large amount of its vocab in slightly modified forms with other Germanic languages such as English.

Swedish has a simple grammar system which, despite some differences, is very similar to English. Verbs follow a similar patter to English: the infinitive (e.g. ringa -- to ring), the present (e.g. ringer -- rings), the past (e.g. ringde -- rang) and the supine (e.g. ringt -- rung). Although there are some irregulars, simple rules dictate the modification of the infinitive through the tenses as in English. There is also an additional tense: the imperative (e.g. ring! -- ring!).

It has 2 genders, the common and neuter. Definite articles are added to the end of nouns as a suffix. Plural forms also have some irregulars that you just have to learn (just as child to children is irregular in English). Adjectives and nouns need to agree in number and gender. None of these grammatical features cause any real problems with some familiarity with the language.

Pronunciation:

Swedish causes some real difficulties with the production of some of the sounds for English speaking beginners. A little bit of practice in producing the sounds by changing the shape of your mouth and where you hold your tongue in your mouth will have you reliably producing them correctly.

Although there are slightly fewer sounds than in English (English has 12 vowels, 9 diphthongs and 24 consonants; Swedish has 9 vowels that are long and short, making effectively 17/18 vowels phonemes and 18 consonants, it does not have any diphthongs), some of the sounds it does have do not have an equivalent in English.

The vowel sounds take some learning. Particularly the ä, y, å and u. (Although the y is similar to the French u and the German ü). Swedish has short and long vowels, the spelling of which is not very consistent. It also has an acute accent and a grave accent that are not indicated in the spelling.

The consonant that causes problems is the sj sound that takes a lot of imitation to get close to correct.

The overall sound of a Swedish sentence takes on its own melody, or sing-song and in the intermediate phase you will need to concentrate on the melody. It is part of the beauty of learning this language.

Difficulty:
Overall I rate this language a ** -- quite easy to learn. The grammar is simple, verbs do not require any complex conjugation, and the language shares roots with English and German meaning there is much shared vocab. The pronunciation can cause some challenges for a beginner, but you can be understood even with mistakes and don't need to be as precise in getting the sounds perfect like French.

Chick Factor:
Swedish is a language with a beautiful melody and a sound production that sounds very foreign, attractive and difficult to mono-lingual English speakers. Speaking it turns the heads of people in a multi-lingual environment. Because it is a small language where most of the native speakers speak English also, speaking Swedish indicates an intimacy with Sweden and its people that listeners find attractive.

Recommended Books
"The Essentials of Swedish Grammar: a practical guide to the mastery of Swedish", Åke Viberg, Kerstin Ballardini and Sune Stjärnlöf, Passport Books, 1984.

Edited by SlickAs on 30 November 2008 at 9:44pm

3 persons have voted this message useful

Someswede
Sweden
Joined 5621 days ago

2 posts - 2 votes

Message 11 of 16
29 November 2008 at 7:09pm | IP Logged 
SlickAs wrote:
Pronunciation:

Swedish causes some real difficulties with the production of some of the sounds for English speaking beginners. A little bit of practice in producing the sounds by changing the shape of your mouth and where you hold your tongue in your mouth will have you reliably producing them correctly.

Although there are fewer sounds than in English (English has 12 vowels, 9 diphthongs and 24 consonants; Swedish has only 9 vowels and 18 consonants, it does not have any diphthongs), some of the sounds it does have do not have an equivalent in English.

The vowel sounds take some learning. Particularly the ä, y, å and u. (Although the y is similar to the French u and the German ü). Swedish has short and long vowels, the spelling of which is not very consistent. It also has an acute accent and a grave accent that are not indicated in the spelling.

The consonant that causes problems is the sj sound that takes a lot of imitation to get close to correct.

The overall sound of a Swedish sentence takes on its own melody, or sing-song and in the intermediate phase you will need to concentrate on the melody. It is part of the beauty of learning this language.

That is incorrect. Swedish has larger vowel inventory then English in monothongs. 18/17 wovels not 9 you see all 9 wovels exist in long and short version of them so therefor you get 18/17 wovels depending on dialect .
Swedish is known for it's large number of vowels. So I hade object against that because it is missleading information you gave there. So next time be sure to get facts correct.

Regards

Edited by Someswede on 19 November 2009 at 4:29pm

jeff_lindqvist
Diglot
SwedenRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6691 days ago

4250 posts - 5710 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English
Studies: German, Spanish, Russian, Dutch, Mandarin, Esperanto, Irish, French
Personal Language Map

Message 12 of 16
29 November 2008 at 8:01pm | IP Logged 
Wikipedia confirms this:
Quote:
The phonology of Swedish is notable for having a large vowel inventory, with 9 vowels that are distinguished in quality and to some degree quantity, making up 17 vowel phonemes in most dialects (short /e/ and /ɛ/ coincide, particularly in unstressed syllables). In some areas these vowels are still distinguished and a full 18-vowel system is upheld.

There's a difference between vowels/consonants and phonemes.

SlickAs
Tetraglot
Canada
Joined 5659 days ago

185 posts - 287 votes 

Message 13 of 16
30 November 2008 at 9:16pm | IP Logged 
Someswede wrote:
That is incorrect. Swedish has larger vowel inventory then English in monothongs. 18/17 wovels not 9 you see all 9 wovels exist in long and short version of them so therefor you get 18/17 wovels depending on dialect .
Swedish is known for it's large number of vowels. So I hade object against that because it is missleading information you gave there. So next time be sure to get facts correct.

All love and respect

You are quite correct, and I have edited my above post. Thanks.

Someswede wrote:
So I hade object against that because it is missleading information you gave there. So next time be sure to get facts correct.

I think that this is an example of a native Swede wanting to scream at me "Our language is really difficult god damn it! Really really difficult! I want it to be 4 stars for difficulty, like Persian. Don't you dare say it is easy! It is not! It is not easy, you hear? ...

The administrator of this site wrote here
Administrator wrote:
People always feel that the difficulty ratings I give to their mother tongue is too low. 'It is much more difficult than you say' , they say, although they never had to actually learn it as a foreign language. Well, those difficulty ratings, as limited as they are, come from either personal experiences, reference from 'Les Langages de l'humanité', a high-quality language encyclopedia with a similar 5 star rating of language difficulty and from discussions on the language forum. I'll be glad to reconsider difficulty ratings if there are precise arguments you are willing to discuss.

You will note that the US Governmnet Defense Language Institute grades Swedish as a Group I language (the easiest) right along side Spanish and Portugese. German is harder: Group II. Finnish and Russian are Group III. Link is here

Edited by SlickAs on 01 December 2008 at 12:19am

Someswede
Sweden
Joined 5621 days ago

2 posts - 2 votes

Message 14 of 16
02 December 2008 at 1:31am | IP Logged 
SlickAs wrote:
Someswede wrote:

All love and respect

You are quite correct, and I have edited my above post. Thanks.

Someswede wrote:
So I hade object against that because it is missleading information you gave there. So next time be sure to get facts correct.

I think that this is an example of a native Swede wanting to scream at me "Our language is really difficult god damn it! Really really difficult! I want it to be 4 stars for difficulty, like Persian. Don't you dare say it is easy! It is not! It is not easy, you hear? ...

The administrator of this site wrote here
Administrator wrote:
People always feel that the difficulty ratings I give to their mother tongue is too low. 'It is much more difficult than you say' , they say, although they never had to actually learn it as a foreign language. Well, those difficulty ratings, as limited as they are, come from either personal experiences, reference from 'Les Langages de l'humanité', a high-quality language encyclopedia with a similar 5 star rating of language difficulty and from discussions on the language forum. I'll be glad to reconsider difficulty ratings if there are precise arguments you are willing to discuss.

You will note that the US Governmnet Defense Language Institute grades Swedish as a Group I language (the easiest) right along side Spanish and Portugese. German is harder: Group II. Finnish and Russian are Group III. Link is here

I was not talking about how hard or easy anything easy just that was incorrect information. Diffiultly of languages is a very subjectiv thing and depends on the mother tongue you have. It depends also on individual aspects some might consider things to be hard while others easy. It depends also on what weakness or strentgh one might have. For an example one might be good with prounounciation and phonology and others might be good on grammer.
If people have problem with Swedish then it is on the phonological and prosody at least in my experience. For an example not everyday I meat people who can proform a sje-sound correct and sometimes stress and pitch accent is a problem as well for those who want to speak it very well.

So don't put words in my mouth my firend with all respect and love. I just said that you where not factual correct.

Have a good day.

Edited by Someswede on 02 December 2008 at 10:36am

SlickAs
Tetraglot
Canada
Joined 5659 days ago

185 posts - 287 votes 

Message 15 of 16
04 January 2009 at 7:20am | IP Logged 
Someswede wrote:
I was not talking about how hard or easy anything easy just that was incorrect information. Diffiultly of languages is a very subjectiv thing and depends on the mother tongue you have. It depends also on individual aspects some might consider things to be hard while others easy. It depends also on what weakness or strentgh one might have. For an example one might be good with prounounciation and phonology and others might be good on grammer.
If people have problem with Swedish then it is on the phonological and prosody at least in my experience. For an example not everyday I meat people who can proform a sje-sound correct and sometimes stress and pitch accent is a problem as well for those who want to speak it very well.

So don't put words in my mouth my firend with all respect and love. I just said that you where not factual correct.

Have a good day.

OK, we all agree then. I wont put words into your mouth, and there is nothing in the above that you would like to change. If that is all right, then when the administrator is looking for something to publish on the main site, there we are all cool, right?

Or is there something above that you would like to change? Speak now or forever hold your peace.

Elwing
Tetraglot
Groupie
United Kingdom
Joined 5290 days ago

43 posts - 51 votes 
Speaks: Swedish, Finnish*, English, French
Studies: Norwegian

Message 16 of 16
29 October 2009 at 1:05am | IP Logged 
To add to the usefulness (someone phrase this nicely, please):
-After learning Swedish you can understand Norwegian fairly easily as well as some Danish due to these languages being closely related.
-About 5,5% of the population of Finland speak Swedish as their first language and the language is widely understood in the country.

This discussion contains 16 messages over 2 pages: << Prev 1

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version