Diglot
Denmark
Joined 5288 days ago

213 posts - 413 votes 
Speaks: Danish*, English
Studies: German, French

Message 9 of 25
09 April 2010 at 3:13am | IP Logged 
These videos are really helpful to me. Thank you very much for your time in putting them together.

I have just picked up TY Swedish and TY French from a local library (out of curiosity and based on yours and Jeff Lindquist's recommendations) but I didn't know how to make the best use of them.

Now I do, thanks to you.
2 persons have voted this message useful

laoshu505000
United States
Joined 5576 days ago

121 posts - 232 votes 
Speaks: English*

Message 10 of 25
09 April 2010 at 8:24pm | IP Logged 
delta910 wrote:
First off, great videos Moses. I always enjoy watching your videos and they're great to boost my motivation. Keep
it up!

Ok, maybe it's me but I'm somewhat confused with the FLR technique. It seems as though that right when one
begins a language one should right away create and learn these phrases you have put up to use in a
conversation, but how can one do that when one knows nothing in the language or very little of that language? It
seems as though it is more of a way to do output rather than input and is more intended for learners to use
when they are at a higher level.

Also, when talking about key words in a text, at the beginning for a new learner of that language, wouldn't all of
the words of that dialogue be considered key words since one has no to little vocabulary and needs words to
build off from?

It seems you are wanting to do output before you have any input of that language or use that language before
one has knowledge or a large vocabulary of that language. Also, when speaking to a native speaker, one just
can't expect to know some key phrases and anticipate what a native will say; furthermore, they may ask you one
of those questions and you'll give the answer but then they'll come with another question that you haven't
"rehearsed" and you'll be caught with your pants down with very very limited vocabulary with nothing else to
help you.

Is this technique intended for right out of the box learners with now knowledge of that language, or is it more of
a method for people to use later on in their learning to help strike up a conversation with natives as output?

I'm curious about your thoughts Moses.

Thanks!

Hey there,

As I promised, I've made a video in response to your question.

Moses McCormick

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W0P61lHJg9Y
3 persons have voted this message useful

ChristopherB
Triglot
New Zealand
Joined 6076 days ago

851 posts - 1074 votes 
2 sounds
Speaks: English*, German, French

Message 11 of 25
13 April 2010 at 6:25am | IP Logged 
Moses, if you have the time for a video detailing your skills in each language, it would be very interesting to see.

By chance, have you seen Professor Arguelles' charts for his languages? .

http://www.foreignlanguageexpertise.com/about.html#lrt

mentatkgs
Triglot
Brazil
onhowtolearn.bl
Joined 5263 days ago

9 posts - 11 votes
Speaks: Portuguese*, English, Japanese
Studies: French

Message 12 of 25
14 April 2010 at 7:43pm | IP Logged 
Hello, I'm willing to record these questions and answers in Portuguese (Brazilian here)
in trade of French, Japanese, Italian, Arab, Chinese or Russian Recordings and
transcripts. Who is up the job?
1 person has voted this message useful

Akao
aka FailArtist
United States
Joined 5096 days ago

315 posts - 347 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish, Mandarin, Toki Pona

Message 13 of 25
27 April 2010 at 4:56am | IP Logged 
Thank you for inspiring me to learn languages, it has been extremely beneficial to many
areas of my life.

Deji
Diglot
United States
Joined 5200 days ago

116 posts - 182 votes 
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Hindi, Bengali

Message 14 of 25
02 May 2010 at 7:32pm | IP Logged 
These techniques are very helpful even if you are NOT a beginner. Especially if you have been studying the
language but want to practice thinking--and talking-- on your feet. Either alone or with a fellow learner, or a
native--whoever you can get.

As language learners, on some level, "we will always be caught with our pants down" How true is that!!

I would like to trade English or French for Bengali. Of course, if you're reading this in English, you probably don't
need an English recording!
3 persons have voted this message useful

Luai_lashire
Diglot
United States
luai-lashire.deviant
Joined 5588 days ago

384 posts - 560 votes 
Speaks: English*, Esperanto
Studies: Japanese, French

Message 15 of 25
03 May 2010 at 3:28am | IP Logged 
Moses, it's interesting that you say you don't mind getting the grammar wrong in your sentences at first, because
you'll learn to correct yourself later; I've often heard from people that they feel it's "dangerous" to produce output
that might be wrong because it gets stuck in your head in the wrong form and it's hard to replace it with the right
form later. Is there anything special you do to combat this, or is it just not a problem for you?

noriyuki_nomura
Bilingual Octoglot
Switzerland
Joined 5100 days ago

304 posts - 465 votes 
Speaks: English*, Mandarin*, Japanese, FrenchC2, GermanC2, ItalianC1, SpanishB2, DutchB1
Studies: TurkishA1, Korean

Message 16 of 25
03 May 2010 at 9:27am | IP Logged 
I definitely agree with Moses regarding the list of questions that we should know how to answer when it comes to language learning!

Edited by noriyuki_nomura on 03 May 2010 at 9:34am

This discussion contains 25 messages over 4 pages: << Prev 13 4  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version