mrpootys
Groupie
United States
Joined 5398 days ago

62 posts - 69 votes 
Speaks: English*

Message 1 of 6
15 January 2010 at 8:46am | IP Logged 
I am looking at doing something in Germanic history, which has always been a passion of mine. I am curious as to know if anyone on this board has any extensive knowledge of these particular languages-- Gothic Germanic, Burgundian, and Vandalic. Any insight would be greatly appreciated. Also, coming from a background in High German, would this be better trying to study extinct Germanic languages, or would it be better to come from a northern Germanic languages like icelandic of norwegian.
1 person has voted this message useful

goosefrabbas
Triglot
Pro Member
United States
Joined 6155 days ago

393 posts - 475 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Spanish
Studies: German, Italian
Personal Language Map

Message 2 of 6
15 January 2010 at 9:55am | IP Logged 
Professor Arguelles is the person you'd want to talk to.
His YouTube videos are very helpful and insightful.
This is his reading and speaking many Germanic languages, both living and extinct. In each video he recommends meterials for learning the specific language that he introduces, which is particularly helpful for languages like Gothic. At the end of this playlist is a ~1 hour, five-part chronicle of the history of the Germanic languages.

Iversen
Super Polyglot
Denmark
berejst.dk
Joined 6490 days ago

9078 posts - 16473 votes 
Speaks: Danish*, French, English, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Dutch, Swedish, Esperanto, Romanian, Catalan
Studies: Afrikaans, Greek, Norwegian, Russian, Serbian, Icelandic, Latin, Irish, Lowland Scots, Indonesian, Polish, Croatian
Personal Language Map

Message 3 of 6
15 January 2010 at 10:22am | IP Logged 
The only problem with that answer is that professor Arguelles is busy building something like an institute for polyglotism in Singapore, so you can't reach him through this forum for the time being.

But coming from a High German background the obvious choice for you would be first to learn Old High German, which actually has a rich literature (including the wellknown Niebelungenlied). The same applies to Old English (Anglosaxon) and Old Norse, while the only one of the languages you mention that has anything like a decent corpus is Gothic. The kind of Gothic you find in the extant part of Wulfilas bible (apart from a few fragments the only surviving text from that language group) is well documented, but I still think it would be better for you to learn Old High German first, which should be a manageable task, and then proceed to Gothic, Anglosaxon or Old Norse afterwards.

From the Vandal and the (Germanic) Burgundian languages you have little more than some names to study, which must be fairly frustrating.

Edited by Iversen on 15 January 2010 at 10:38am

BartoG
Diglot
United States
confession
Joined 5234 days ago

292 posts - 818 votes 
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Italian, Spanish, Latin, Uzbek

Message 4 of 6
15 January 2010 at 8:44pm | IP Logged 
If you're interested in having a look at the languages, go to archive.org and look up Joseph Wright. He did primers (basically, a grammar, reader and glossary combined) for Old High German, Middle High German, Gothic and Anglo-Saxon, among other things. They're free for download there.

I think Iversen's right about starting with Old High German. If you already speak German, a lot will look familiar and you can get a basis for other early Germanic languages like Gothic.

If you're really eager to get going with Gothic, though, check out Gothic for Goths:
http://ling.everywitchway.net/germanic/east/gothic/gothic-fo r-goths
(remove any spaces from the link)

It's a collection of youtube videos and support materials for "Goths who want to speak Gothic". While much of it is silly (with phrases like "Am I wearing too much eyeliner?") the underlying language info, including an intro to the phonemes and graphemes, seems to be sound.
2 persons have voted this message useful

lloydkirk
Diglot
United StatesRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6200 days ago

429 posts - 452 votes 
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Russian

Message 5 of 6
17 January 2010 at 11:39pm | IP Logged 
I've always found the period around the fall of the Roman Empire a very interesting one. The Visigoths ruled Spain until the time of the Muslim invasion so its remarkable that so little of their language is recorded.

Morak99
United States
Joined 5272 days ago

19 posts - 20 votes
Speaks: English*
Studies: French

Message 6 of 6
24 January 2010 at 5:35pm | IP Logged 
The entire east Germanic branch has very limited texts to use, just some biblical stuff and place names. But to make up for that, all of the North and West branches have tons of reasorces to both learn and read. Good luck in your studies!

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version