Switzerland
Joined 6232 days ago

4474 posts - 6726 votes 
Speaks: English*, Esperanto, German, Italian
Studies: French, Finnish, Mandarin, Japanese

Message 25 of 29
01 March 2010 at 9:42am | IP Logged 
fanatic wrote:

I believe there is material in both books you won't find anywhere else.

Aside from material about you, which material would this be? I can easily believe that your books are some of the best gatherings of material otherwise scattered among disparate sources, but I'm quite curious about what you think is unique to them.

By the way, I'm asking with genuine curiosity, and apologize if this sounds abrupt/etc; it's not meant that way, I've merely been unable to find a more neutral-sounding phrasing.

1 person has voted this message useful

Faraday
United States
Joined 5911 days ago

129 posts - 256 votes 
Speaks: German*

Message 26 of 29
01 March 2010 at 6:28pm | IP Logged 
Presentation matters, in my opinion, as much as novelty of content. There are many, many
math and science textbooks out there that present no new information, but some convey the
information much more effectively than others. Without singling out anyone (that's not my
intention), I do think it's a bit unfair to hold fanatic to standards that are set for
doctoral dissertations. The visual imagery technique presented in his book is one I've
found hugely helpful in learning vocabulary as well as grammar, and if I hadn't been
familiar with it, I'm sure I would have appreciated it in fanatic's book. Surely there
are many people out there who have not yet come across the technique and will learn of it
in his book. Many popular books repackage information that is already out there, whether
for greater clarity or effectiveness, and I think there's a role for such books.

Edited by Faraday on 01 March 2010 at 6:34pm

Volte
Tetraglot
Switzerland
Joined 6232 days ago

4474 posts - 6726 votes 
Speaks: English*, Esperanto, German, Italian
Studies: French, Finnish, Mandarin, Japanese

Message 27 of 29
01 March 2010 at 7:29pm | IP Logged 
Faraday wrote:
Presentation matters, in my opinion, as much as novelty of content. There are many, many
math and science textbooks out there that present no new information, but some convey the
information much more effectively than others. Without singling out anyone (that's not my
intention), I do think it's a bit unfair to hold fanatic to standards that are set for
doctoral dissertations. The visual imagery technique presented in his book is one I've
found hugely helpful in learning vocabulary as well as grammar, and if I hadn't been
familiar with it, I'm sure I would have appreciated it in fanatic's book. Surely there
are many people out there who have not yet come across the technique and will learn of it
in his book. Many popular books repackage information that is already out there, whether
for greater clarity or effectiveness, and I think there's a role for such books.

I fully agree. I have one of fanatic's books (not one of these two), and like it. He's a good presenter.

I don't consider new material a prerequisite for a book to be good. However, as he himself said there is some, I'm really curious what it is.

fanatic
Octoglot
Australia
speedmathematics.com
Joined 6939 days ago

1152 posts - 1818 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, French, Afrikaans, Italian, Spanish, Russian, Dutch
Studies: Swedish, Norwegian, Polish, Modern Hebrew, Malay, Mandarin, Esperanto

Message 28 of 29
02 March 2010 at 11:31am | IP Logged 
My new book, Speed Learning, certainly has information I have never seen anywhere else.

I have never come across using reminders to learn information under headings and sub-headings. Or how to use the reminders in reverse to generate new ideas.

A lot of the information has been gleaned and modified to suit my own learning methods and, I must admit, I have sometimes been disappointed to find others have had the same ideas. The fact that I haven't found the information anywhere doesn't necessarily mean that somebody else hasn't thought of it as well.

As for the language book, I think on second thoughts that most, if not all my ideas, have been used by somebody else. I haven't seen a book which expresses the ideas together in one book like I have so I withdraw my statement that the information is unique. My ideas have been gleaned from textbooks that I have enjoyed and found useful (like Lewis Robbins and Assimil) and other people's learning methods, like Sir Richard Burton. Azzopardi has influenced my methods as well, but I disagree with him on many points. Azzopardi learnt three languages in three years and passed exams at university entrance level in each, so his methods worked for him.

I have written methods that have worked for me and /or have worked for others. I have always said, if the method works for you, use it.

So, I modify my original statement. My new book, Speed Learning, has information that is unique at the moment. Maybe books will be written in the future that build on my ideas.

Edited by fanatic on 02 March 2010 at 11:36am

2 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 29 messages over 4 pages: << Prev 1 2 3

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version