Tetraglot
Japan
Joined 5262 days ago

772 posts - 1474 votes 
Speaks: English*, Japanese, German, Russian
Studies: Georgian

Message 9 of 15
15 February 2010 at 6:50am | IP Logged 
The new version consists of just three levels - review it, recognize it, and produce it. In "recognize it" you see L2 and both think and type L1, and in "produce it" you see L1 and both think and type L2. So the functions are the same, but the typing sections and have been grouped together with the thinking sections.

The new version doesn't tell you what lists to review, but it keeps track of words you haven't practiced for a while and makes you produce them (thinking only, not typing) in the "review my stale words" section. This is a very useful feature that I use all the time.

Edited by TixhiiDon on 15 February 2010 at 6:50am

1 person has voted this message useful

ellasevia
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2011
Germany
Joined 5940 days ago

2150 posts - 3229 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Croatian, Greek, French, Spanish, Russian, Swedish, Portuguese, Turkish, Italian
Studies: Catalan, Persian, Mandarin, Japanese, Romanian, Ukrainian

Message 10 of 15
15 February 2010 at 4:52pm | IP Logged 
Yes, that sounds useful. But now I am using Anki for exactly that same purpose, which I find to be working very well.

Just for clarification, does it group the the stale words by language or list or anything like that? In my own BYKI, I have my listed very organized according to language and/or language course (for example, I have a section or "language" for Ultimate German and another section/"language" for LiveMocha German 102).

kyssäkaali
Diglot
United States
Joined 5351 days ago

203 posts - 376 votes 
Speaks: English*, Finnish

Message 11 of 15
15 February 2010 at 5:52pm | IP Logged 
I use BYKI religiously now, but only to create my own lists. I can say that a lot of
the
Finnish vocabulary cards that come with it are DEAD wrong, and I didn't realise this
until later. I wouldn't be surprised if it's not 100% reliable for other languages as
well.

I still love the option to create your own flash cards though. Excellent way to cram
vocab.

Oh, and additionally, I'm not 100% sure as I can't remember that far back for some
reason, but I'm pretty sure I developed the ability to pronounce Finnish words entirely
from BYKI. I had no idea how to pronounce, for example, the letters Ö and Y until
hearing it over and over with the program. Now I've been told by many Finns that my
accent is indistinguishable from a native speaker's. So the fact that the program has a
native speaker reading out the words and phrases is a huge boost. It just makes me
wonder, why didn't the speaker look at some of these cards and point out that they were
wrong? Lol!

Edited by kyssäkaali on 15 February 2010 at 5:57pm

Ocius
Triglot
United States
Joined 5388 days ago

48 posts - 77 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Ancient Greek
Studies: French, Latin, Sanskrit

Message 12 of 15
16 February 2010 at 3:10am | IP Logged 
I've used the express version a bit with some of the pre-made lists and some community
lists. I love it, but unfortunately a 70$ price tag is simply far too much for such a small
improvement in usability over the completely free Anki.

TixhiiDon
Tetraglot
Japan
Joined 5262 days ago

772 posts - 1474 votes 
Speaks: English*, Japanese, German, Russian
Studies: Georgian

Message 13 of 15
16 February 2010 at 3:50am | IP Logged 
ellasevia wrote:
Just for clarification, does it group the the stale words by language or list or anything like that? In my own BYKI, I have my listed very organized according to language and/or language course (for example, I have a section or "language" for Ultimate German and another section/"language" for LiveMocha German 102).

The stale words are grouped according to language but not according to list - all the lists you have studied successfully up to that point are mixed together so that when you review your stale words, words from various different lists appear. I think this is also very useful as it prevents you memorizing whole lists simply in terms of their sequence without really thinking about meaning.

I'm gradually noticing in my Georgian version that some words are not really correct, or at least not regularly used in everyday conversation, and the verbs are kind of useless too, as I mentioned above. So Byki is certainly not perfect, but still pretty good I think.

Edited by TixhiiDon on 16 February 2010 at 3:51am

Grassmanian
United States
Joined 5306 days ago

4 posts - 10 votes
Speaks: English*
Studies: German, Latin, French

Message 14 of 15
15 March 2014 at 11:54pm | IP Logged 

I noticed that there is a mobile version of BYKI for $7.99 (per language). My first impression is that this might be a
good supplement for someone working toward A1 or A2. The number of languages supported is impressive, and
the the supplied files seem to have a reasonable coverage of the A1/A2 level vocabulary with audio read by native
speakers.

Has anyone had good or bad experiences with this version?

Bjorn
Diglot
Norway
Joined 4666 days ago

244 posts - 286 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, English
Studies: German, French

Message 15 of 15
16 March 2014 at 7:29am | IP Logged 
It is ok, some years ago since I used it.
You don't type in the answer, just thinking it out in your head and press Correct or Wrong.

However it seems they now have mobile apps, android and ios for Byki Deluxe.
Maybe I should unpack my old Byki Deluxe software and try it.

Anki Deluxe app android

This discussion contains 15 messages over 2 pages: << Prev 1

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version