Australia
speedmathematics.com
Joined 6934 days ago

1152 posts - 1818 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, French, Afrikaans, Italian, Spanish, Russian, Dutch
Studies: Swedish, Norwegian, Polish, Modern Hebrew, Malay, Mandarin, Esperanto

Message 1 of 8
11 January 2006 at 4:40pm | IP Logged 
I was speaking with a man who was selling language courses in a shopping mall. He said his sister had a book teaching Indonesian which was written in English but they kept inserting Indonesian words in the text so you became familiar with them.

As the text progressed, more and more Indonesian words were introduced until by the end of the book you were reading Indonesian, not English.

I am sure I have come across this kind of approach before.

Has anyone had any experience with this method of teaching a language? Did you find it effective? What do the members think of the method?
1 person has voted this message useful

patuco
Diglot
Gibraltar
Joined 6803 days ago

3795 posts - 4268 votes 
Speaks: Spanish, English*
Personal Language Map

Message 2 of 8
11 January 2006 at 5:04pm | IP Logged 
There's a similar situation in Arabic. Except for Classical texts, Arabic is written without any vowels and the reader is expected to "know" the word from experience. In lots of Arabic textbooks the vowels are included initially, but once the student is beyond the beginner stage, they are removed.

Edited by patuco on 11 January 2006 at 5:05pm

jeff_lindqvist
Diglot
SwedenRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6697 days ago

4250 posts - 5710 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English
Studies: German, Spanish, Russian, Dutch, Mandarin, Esperanto, Irish, French
Personal Language Map

Message 3 of 8
11 January 2006 at 5:54pm | IP Logged 
My dad has an entire series of books - teaching English from Swedish. 50 "classics": Robinson Crusoe, Gulliver's Travels and so on. The first book has maybe one or two English words on each page (Swedish translation at the bottom of the page), and throughout the series more and more words are introduced, building sentences et.c. The last book is written in English (more or less). I suppose it "works", to give an introduction to English literature and reading skills, if nothing else. The books were published by Niloé and the series is called the NU-metoden (the "Now" method). I'm pretty sure that I've seen another 50 classics or so in French.

Sir Nigel
United States
Joined 6892 days ago

1126 posts - 1102 votes 
2 sounds

Message 4 of 8
12 January 2006 at 1:12am | IP Logged 
I know of one method like that here.

To me this would be rather confusing. I prefer the more standard approaches that give you the target language in its entirety.

I think you could learn by using this method, I just don't see why you really would want to do it this way. It seems more efficient to just be given all the "information" in the target language.

Qbe
Tetraglot
United States
joewright.org/var
Joined 6923 days ago

289 posts - 335 votes 
Speaks: English*, Latin, Ancient Greek, Biblical Hebrew
Studies: Japanese, German, Mandarin, Aramaic

Message 5 of 8
12 January 2006 at 8:46pm | IP Logged 
The book "Japanese in 10 Minutes A Day" does a little of this: it introduces a few Japanese words in the text and explanations of the book and continues to use them in place of English. However, it doesn't do this extensively and this isn't the book's primary method. (Also, I'm going on memory here--haven't seen the book in several months now).

Hey, I'd be willing to try a book like the one you've described. Who knows? It could be fun and might actually work.

Darobat
Diglot
Joined 6976 days ago

754 posts - 770 votes 
Speaks: English*, Russian
Studies: Latin

Message 6 of 8
12 January 2006 at 9:25pm | IP Logged 
That kind of reminds me of a method I found for learning Latin entitled Lingua Latina It basically teaches you Latin in with Latin as the only medium. The book is one a bunch of stories that will introduce new words and grammar concepts in such a way that the meaning of the words is self explanatory because of the context. I've heard many good things about this book.

fanatic
Octoglot
Australia
speedmathematics.com
Joined 6934 days ago

1152 posts - 1818 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, French, Afrikaans, Italian, Spanish, Russian, Dutch
Studies: Swedish, Norwegian, Polish, Modern Hebrew, Malay, Mandarin, Esperanto

Message 7 of 8
13 January 2006 at 1:25am | IP Logged 
Darobat wrote:
That kind of reminds me of a method I found for learning Latin entitled Lingua Latina It basically teaches you Latin in with Latin as the only medium.

Thank you Darobat for the link. I enjoyed the sample pages and downloaded them. I read the first few pages and found it fun, even though I don't particularly want to learn Latin at the moment. I did download an introduction to Latin that was linked on this forum so I might yet take it up in the future.

It is interesting how many words you can recognize in the text. It is also interesting to note the origin of so many words.

I can see that the method might well be fun to use. I will be lecturing to language teachers and students at two colleges in around two months and I will use some of the sample pages for handouts.

Farley
Triglot
United States
Joined 6880 days ago

681 posts - 739 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: English*, GermanB1, French
Studies: Spanish

Message 8 of 8
13 January 2006 at 7:40am | IP Logged 
Darobat wrote:
That kind of reminds me of a method I found for learning Latin entitled Lingua Latina It basically teaches you Latin in with Latin as the only medium.

That reminds me, there is a similar series of books by Margarita Madrigal called An Invitation to Spanish.. or French, German, etc. They are long out of print, but you find inexpensive used copies on Amazon. They are not complete courses, but just as the titles imply an -- invitation to the language. They introduce the first 1000+ words and the basics grammar structures.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version