Triglot
New Zealand
Joined 6076 days ago

851 posts - 1074 votes 
2 sounds
Speaks: English*, German, French

Message 201 of 431
04 February 2011 at 7:36am | IP Logged 
I'm about to start Georgian myself and I have to say this thread has been nothing but amazing. I'm truly floored at how much you've been able to achieve in this language without having gone to the country or having the benefit of an abundance of resources (although what exists is very good). I hope you enjoy your trip and get as much out of it as you can! Load up on Georgian books!!
1 person has voted this message useful

TixhiiDon
Tetraglot
Japan
Joined 5224 days ago

772 posts - 1474 votes 
Speaks: English*, Japanese, German, Russian
Studies: Georgian

Message 202 of 431
04 February 2011 at 10:17pm | IP Logged 
გუშინ წავედი მთებში მეგობრებთან ერთად რომ სნობორდინგი გავაკეთო და დღეს დილით
მთელი ტანი მტკივა! რაც შეეხება სპორტი მე ნიჭი სულ არა მაქვს, მაგრამ სასიამოვნო
მაინც იყო.

ENG: Yesterday I went snowboarding in the mountains with my friends and this morning
my whole body hurts! When it comes to sport I have no talent whatsoever but it was a
lot of fun all the same.

By the way, for "snowboarding" I've just used a transliteration as I have yet to find
the correct Georgian word. Medea said she didn't know but would try to find out for
me.

rahdonit, Teango, and ChristopherB, thanks for the messages guys. I guess as
preparation for my trip to Georgia I'll just keep on trundling along the same path as I
have been. Maybe I should practice some touristy stuff with Medea - there's nothing
worse than studying a language intensively, reaching a level where you can read novels
in the original, and then finally traveling to the country and realizing you don't know
how to ask to see the menu.

Good luck with the Georgian ChristopherB. I've loved studying it so far, and even now
when I find myself on that frustrating intermediate plateau my motivation is strong. I
agree that the few Georgian resources out there are mostly of very high quality, and I
certainly will be buying up any Georgian language textbooks I can find when I'm in
Tbilisi.

Edited by TixhiiDon on 04 February 2011 at 10:19pm

Élan
United States
Joined 5204 days ago

165 posts - 211 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Persian

Message 203 of 431
04 February 2011 at 10:41pm | IP Logged 
Wow, congrats on having your trip planned! I'm sure it will be a great time! I'll be watching to see how you progress before you leave. It's great that your motivation is already strong... hopefully the upcoming trip will give you the last bit of energy you need to blast off that intermediate plateau.

I've just started going back and reading your log and I'm really enjoying it. Please keep up the good work and updates! I'm very impressed that you chose to study Georgian while in Japan, and happy that you found good instructors to help.

ChristopherB
Triglot
New Zealand
Joined 6076 days ago

851 posts - 1074 votes 
2 sounds
Speaks: English*, German, French

Message 204 of 431
05 February 2011 at 2:28pm | IP Logged 
I'm not sure if you're aware of this, but Dunwoody Press has a very nice-looking, 900-page Georgian -> English dictionary, which the invaluable bonus that individual verb-forms are listed as separate entries!

Additionally, Amirani Verlag recently, in 2007, published a 3-volume, presumably unabridged Georgisch -> Deutsch dictionary. On their site you can also apparently order a hard-copy version of the Einführung in die Georgische Grammatik which I recall you could only find in electronic form at Uz-translations. I believe they also list individual verb-forms as separate entries, which again, is extremely helpful.

Dunwoody's dictionary:
http://www.dunwoodypress.com/products/-/42

Amirani-Verlag:
http://www.amirani-verlag.ch/

(Actually I just realized the German dictionary is actually from 1965, just in second edition. As it says on the site "2007, 2. unveränderte Auflage")

Edited by ChristopherB on 05 February 2011 at 2:31pm

shawns
Diglot
United States
Joined 5054 days ago

20 posts - 24 votes
Speaks: English*, Japanese

Message 205 of 431
05 February 2011 at 8:46pm | IP Logged 
ChristopherB,
Thanks for pointing out that dictionary. The way most dictionaries only list the verbal noun form makes looking up
unknown verbs nigh impossible.

On a related note, I had an email exchange with Kiziria a few months ago in which she said she was working on a
follow up book to her Beginner's Georgian that will be a Georgian verb workbook with an extensive listing of
different verb forms. Hopefully that will be completed soon.

TixhiliDon,
Congratulations on getting the tickets. I was in Tbilisi over the summer and it was quite nice. There is not a lot in
Gori, besides the Stalin museum, although the trip out there is quite pretty.

TixhiiDon
Tetraglot
Japan
Joined 5224 days ago

772 posts - 1474 votes 
Speaks: English*, Japanese, German, Russian

Message 206 of 431
05 February 2011 at 10:23pm | IP Logged 
Elan, ChristopherB, and shawns, thanks for the messages guys.

As for dictionaries, I bought the big 2-volume Comprehensive Georgian-English
dictionary by Donlad Rayfield, which also lists verbs in forms other than the masdar.
I haven't used a paper dictionary for years, so it's a bit cumbersome, but it's an
excellent resource.

I also wrote to Dodona Kiziria to tell her how much I liked Beginner's Georgian, and
she told me about her next book on Georgian verbs. If it's anywhere near as good as
that book it will be an absolutely invaluable resource.

Completely unrelated to my Georgian study, but yesterday, just after I'd written my log
update, my dog suddenly became very sick, and although I rushed him to the vet, he died
in the examination room. He was only 9 years old, and it was completely sudden and
unexpected, so I am really quite devastated. I adored him.

So RIP Dill. მიყვარხარ.

Teango
Triglot
Winner TAC 2010 & 2012
United States
teango.wordpress.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5316 days ago

2210 posts - 3734 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Russian
Studies: Hawaiian, French, Toki Pona

Message 207 of 431
06 February 2011 at 1:21am | IP Logged 
So sorry to hear about your dog, Phil. I know just how cut up I was when mine died several years back. I know it might sound a bit daft, but I planted her ashes with a young sakura tree sapling and it's since really blossomed.

Murdoc
Triglot
Georgia
Joined 5014 days ago

113 posts - 208 votes 
Speaks: Georgian*, English, Russian

Message 208 of 431
06 February 2011 at 7:39pm | IP Logged 
TixhiiDon,
მოგესალმები :) დასაწყისში ვკითხულობდი შენს ჩანაწერებს და უკვე ძალიან დიდი პროგრესი გაქვს. შენის ნებართვით ბოლო ქართულ ჩანაწერებს შეგისწორებ და შევეცდები მომავალშიც ხშირად შემოვიდე დასახმარებლად. თუ რამე კითხვა გექნება არ მოგერიდოს და აუცილებლად გიპასუხებ.

ერთი კარგი ამბავი და ერთი ცუდი ამბავი მაქვს.

ცუდი ამბავია ის, რომ ჩემი ძაღლი გაცივდა. მე არ ვიცოდი რომ ძაღლებსაც შეუძლიათ (შეეძლოთ) გაცივება, მაგრამ შესაძლებელია! უკვე სამი დღეა ჩემი ძაღლი საშინლად ახველებს და მადა არა აქვს. დღეს დილით წავიყვანე სასეირნოდ მაგრამ სუსტად იყო და როგორც კი
სახლიდან გავედით, მას უნდოდა დაბრუნებულიყო. ძალიან ცოდოა. გუშინ წავიყვანე
ვეტერინარტან (თან) მან()ანით და წამალი მივიღე. იმედია რომ სწრაფად (მალე) უკეთ იქნება.

ახლა კარგი ამბავი.

გუშინწინ ერთი იმეილი მივიღე ჩემი ბიძაშვილისგან და იმ იმეილში ეწერა რომ ჩემი
ბიძაშვილი ჩამოდის იაპონიაში გაზაფხულზე და აპირებს იცხოვროს აქ დაახლოებით ექვსი
თვე. სხვადასხვა ადგილზე მასთან ერთად წასვლა ძალიან სასიამოვნო იქნება ჩემთვის და
იმედი მაქვს რომ ჩვენ კარგი მეგობრები გავხვდებით.

ძალიან კარგი ამბავი მაქვს! გასულ კვირადღეს ვიყიდე თვითმფრინავის ბილე()ი
საქართველოში და დავჯავშნე ოთახი თბილისის სასტუმროში. თორმეტ მაისში (მაისს) გავფრინავ (მივფრინავ) ტოკიოდან და დაახლოებით ერთ კვირას ვიქნები საქართველოში. მე მარტო ვიქნები საქართველოში და ძალიან დიდი ხანია რაც მარტო დასვენებად მივედი (დასასვენებლად დავდივარ), ამიტომ ცოტა ვნერვიულობ, რომ ალბათ მომიწყინდება სულ მარტო ყოფნა. მაგრამ ერთდროულად (ამავე დროს) ძალიან ბედნიერი ვარ, რომ შემიძლია წავიდე საქართველოში და ვლაპარაკობ (ვილაპარაკო) ქართულად ქართველებთან ერთად.

სიამოვნებით შეგხვდებოდი საქართველოში მაგრამ შოტლანდიაში ვსწავლობ და მხოლოდ ივნისში ჩამოვდივარ დასასვენებლად. თუმცა არც მარტო გაგიჭირდება, მითუმეტეს ქართულად თუ ისაუბრებ. ქართულად მოლაპარაკე ტურისტი ძალიან დიდი იშვიათობაა :)

snowboarding - სნოუბორდინგი
არ ვიცი იცი თუ არა, მაგრამ არის კარგი ონლაინ ინგლისურ–ქართული და ქართულ–ინგლისური ლექსიკონი – www.translate.ge - მე მგონი გამოგადგება.

კეთილი სურვილები და წარმატებები.

This discussion contains 431 messages over 54 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version