Japan
Joined 5224 days ago

772 posts - 1474 votes 
Speaks: English*, Japanese, German, Russian
Studies: Georgian

Message 225 of 431
02 April 2011 at 12:48pm | IP Logged 
WARNING: RANT BELOW

I think I'm just about done with the Gold List method. It worked beautifully for a few
hundred simple words, but now I'm moving onto intermediate stuff (for example, abstract
nouns like "experience" and "duty", more difficult postpositions like "on mentioning",
and almost every single verb I have added) it is completely useless. I can remember
almost nothing from my head lists, and a random check showed me that I can no longer
remember some of the words I've checked off, which, if I read the description of this
method correctly, should now be in my long-term memory.

And whoever invented the Georgian verbal system should be subjected to a range of
medieval punishments immediately. Every single verb seems to have some kind of
irregularity, and I feel like I don't know how to even start conjugating any but the
simplest verbs. Does the preverb stay or go in the present series? Does the root vowel
change in the aorist? Is it Group I, II, III, or IV? If it's II, why does it appear to
be capable of taking an object? If its III, why does it look like I? If it's IV, what
is the future tense, and is the aorist, imperfect, or both used in the past? Why does
verb A have a version vowel but not verb B? Arghhhh!

RANT OVER
1 person has voted this message useful

Murdoc
Triglot
Georgia
Joined 5014 days ago

113 posts - 208 votes 
Speaks: Georgian*, English, Russian

Message 226 of 431
03 April 2011 at 1:29am | IP Logged 
TixhiiDon,

მართალია მე პირადად არასოდეს გამიცნობიერებია ზმნების სირთულე ქართულში, მშობლიური ენის ფაქტორიდან გამომდინარე, თუმცა ბევრისგან მსმენია ამაზე :D მაგრამ სამწუხაროდ ლინგვისტური ცოდნა არ გამაჩნია რომ ზემოთ დასმულ შეკითხვებზე პასუხით დაგეხმარო. იქნებ ეს პატარა სტატია გამოგადგეს: http://www.nthuleen.com/papers/L12paper.html

ეს საიტიც ნახე, არ ვიცი რამდენად კომპეტენტურია, თუმცა ბევრი ინფორმაციაა თავმოყრილი: http://www.armazi.com/georgian/

Quote:
დიდი ხანია რაც დავწერე ამ ბლოგზე

დიდი ხანი გავიდა რაც დავწერე ამ ბლოგზე

Quote:
დაკავებული ვიყავი
ეხლანდელ იაპონიის მდგომარეობთან დაკავშირებით.

დაკავებული ვიყავი ეხლანდელ იაპონიის მდგომარეობასთან დაკავშირებით

Quote:
ეხლა იაპონიაში ძალიან რთულ მდგომარეობაშია

ეხლა იაპონია ძალიან რთულ მდგომარეობაშია ან ეხლა იაპონიაში ძალიან რთული მდგომარეობაა

Quote:
ცხოვრობს სახლი, წყლისა და შუქის გარეშე.

სახლი, წყლისა და შუქის გარეშე

Quote:
ნერვიულობენ ფუკუშიმიდან მოსულ რადიაციას.

რადიაციაზე ან რადიაციის გამო

Quote:
ჩვენ არ ვიცით თუ ბოსტნეულის ჭამა და წყალის დალევა შეიძლება თუ არა

პირველი "თუ" ზედმეტია

Quote:
ტოკიოელები საკმაოდ წყნარი არიან

წყნარები არიან ან წყნარად არიან

Quote:
ასევე, რამდენიმე სურსათი, მაგალითად მინერალური წყალი და რძე, ძნელად პოვნა მაღაზიებში.

ზოგიერთი სურსათი, მაგალითად მინერალური წყალი და რძე ძნელად იშოვება მაღაზიებში ან ზოგიერთი სურსათის პოვნა ძნელია მაღაზიებში

Quote:
ბრიტანული საელჩო ტოკიოში გამოაცხადა

ბრიტანულმა საელჩომ ტოკიოში გამოაცხადა

სამწუხაროა რომ ამ თემაზე გვიწევს წერა, იმედია მდგომარეობა მალე გაუმჯობესდება.

2 persons have voted this message useful

TixhiiDon
Tetraglot
Japan
Joined 5224 days ago

772 posts - 1474 votes 

Message 227 of 431
05 April 2011 at 2:41pm | IP Logged 
Murdoc, ისევ ძალიან მადლობელი ვარ გასწორებებისთვის. ვებგვერდებისთვისაც
მადლობელი ვარ. მეორე გვერდი მე ნანახი მაქვს, პირველი კი არ მინახია და ძალიან
საინტერესო და სასარგებლოც იყო ჩემთვის. სამწუხაროდ ქართული ზმნების სწავლა ერთი
ვებგვერდის კითხვის შემდეგ არ მთავრდება! მე ცოტა უხასიათოდ ვიყავი როცა დავწერე
ეს პოსტი, მაგრამ სინამდვილეში მე ძალიან მიყვარს ქართული ენის სწავლა.

ერთი კითხვა მაინც მაქვს შენთვის, რომლის პასუხსაც ლინგვისტური ცოდნა სულაც არ
სჭირდება :)თბილისის უდიდესი და უკეთესი წიგნების მაღაზია სად არის? მე ბევრი
ქართული წიგნი მინდა ვიყიდო როცა მე საქართველოში ვიყავი, მაგრამ საქართველოში
ნამყოფი არა ვარ და არაფერი არ ვიცი ამის შესახებ.

როგორ არის ცხოვრება შოთლანიაში? Irn Bru მოგწონს?? როცა მე ვცხოვრობდი
გლაზგოში ვსვამდი Irn Bru ხოლმე პახმელიაზე რომ ვიყავი. ძალიან კარგი წამალია
პახმელიისთვის.

ENG: Once again I'm very grateful for the corrections, and I'm also grateful for the
websites. I've seen the second one, but I've never seen the first one and it was very
interesting and useful for me. Unfortunately, studying Georgian verbs doesn't end
after reading one page! I was in a bit of a bad mood when I wrote that post, but
actually I really love studying Georgian.

I do however have one question for you, the answer to which doesn't require any
linguistic knowledge at all. Where is the biggest and best book shop in Tbilisi? When
I go to Georgia I want to buy a lot of Georgian books, but I've never been to Georgia
and I don't know anything about it.

How is life in Scotland? Do you like Irn Bru?? When I lived in Glasgow I used to
drink Irn Bru whenever I was hungover. It's really good medicine for hangovers!

(Irn Bru, by the way, is a bright orange fizzy drink made in Scotland and famed
throughout the country as a national treasure and a brilliant hangover cure.)

Edited by TixhiiDon on 05 April 2011 at 2:44pm

Murdoc
Triglot
Georgia
Joined 5014 days ago

113 posts - 208 votes 

Message 228 of 431
06 April 2011 at 4:17pm | IP Logged 
TixhiiDon,
არაფრის :)
შენს კითხვას რაც შეეხება, სამწუხაროდ წიგნების მაღაზიების სიმრავლით ვერ დავიკვეხნით თბილისში, თუმცა ყველაზე ცნობილი მათ შორის ალბათ პარნასი და ბიბლუსია (http://www.parnasi.ge/ http://biblusi.ge/ მისამართებიც წერია კონტაქტში). თბილისში აგრეთვე არიან ბუკინისტები, რომლებიც ძველი და იშვიათი წიგნებით ვაჭრობენ ქუჩებში, ძირითადად ქალაქის ცენტრში (თავისუფლების მოედანზე, რუსთაველის გამზირზე, სახელმწიფო უნივერსიტეტის წინ ჭავჭავაძის გამზირზე, ა.შ.), ბევრ საინტერესო წიგნს შეიძლება წააწყდე, ცნობილ წიგნებს კი მაღაზიებშიც ნახავ.

შოტლანდიაში ყველაფერი კარგადაა, გამოცდები ახლოვდება და ბევრია სასწავლი. Irn Bru მშვენიერი სასმელია მაგრამ ნაბახუსევზე (პახმელია) ბორჯომს და ნაბეღლავს (ცნობილი ქართული მინერალური წყლები) ვერაფერი ჯობია, ამაში თავადაც შეგიძლია დარწმუნდე :)

You are welcome :)
As for your question, unfortunately we don't have too many bookshops in Tbilisi, although the most famous of them probably are Parnasi and Biblusi (http://www.parnasi.ge/ http://biblusi.ge/ addresses in contact). There are also "bouquinistes" in Tbilisi who sell old and rare books in streets, mostly in city centre (freedom square, Rustaveli avenue, in front of Tbilisi State University on Chavchavadze avenue etc.), one can find many interesting books there, while famous books are in shops as well.

Life's good in Scotland, exams are coming closer though and there's much too study. Irn Bru is fine but nothing beats Borjomi and Nabeghlavi (famous Georgian mineral drinks) for hangover cure, you'll be able to check it out yourself :)

Quote:
მე ბევრი ქართული წიგნი მინდა ვიყიდო როცა მე საქართველოში ვიყავი

როცა მე საქართველოში ვიქნები

Edited by Murdoc on 06 April 2011 at 4:31pm

rahdonit
Bilingual Tetraglot
Groupie
Ukraine
Joined 6374 days ago

50 posts - 87 votes 
Speaks: Russian*, Ukrainian*, English, German

Message 229 of 431
22 April 2011 at 3:51pm | IP Logged 
TixhiiDon wrote:
ENG:
I do however have one question for you, the answer to which doesn't require any
linguistic knowledge at all. Where is the biggest and best book shop in Tbilisi? When
I go to Georgia I want to buy a lot of Georgian books, but I've never been to Georgia
and I don't know anything about it.

http://nukri.org/index.php?module=pnForum&func=viewtopic&top ic=8311

This post is already 3 years old and I don't know if the dictionary is still sold there now or even if the bookstore still exists. But as you happen to be in Tbilissi you might want to check. You mentioned that you owned the dictionary in paper edition and rather liked it.

PS To those who cannot read Russian in the attached link - the post dated the 27th January 2008 informs about the start of sales of an electronic version of the Comprehensive Georgian-English Dictionary by Donald Rayfield. The address of the bookstore in Tbilissi is Kostava str, 6.    

TixhiiDon
Tetraglot
Japan
Joined 5224 days ago

772 posts - 1474 votes 

Message 230 of 431
22 April 2011 at 11:03pm | IP Logged 
Thanks for the message rahdonit. When I bought the paper dictionary Donald Rayfield
actually sent me a beta version of the electronic dictionary on CD, but, idiot that I
am, I lost the CD before I got a chance to try it out. I know for sure that it was
never taken out of my house so I expect it will turn up one day, but until then I'll
continue with the paper version, which is pleasingly retro!

ისევ დიდხანს არაფერი არ დამიწერია ჩემს ბლოგში, მაგრამ ჩემი ქართულის სცავლა ჯერ
კარგად მიდის.

მალე საქაერთველოში ვიქნები. ჩემს ქართული ენის მასცავლებელს ფუკუშიმიდან მომავალი
რადიაცია ეშინია და ჯერ კიდევ საქართველოშია. არ ვიცი როგის იგი აფირებს დაბრუნება
იაპონიაში, მაგრამ ძალიან კარგი იქნება თუ ერთდროულად საქართველოში ვიქნებით.

იაპონია კი წყნარია და ცხოვრება ნორმალურია. ახალი მიწისძვრა (aftershocks??)
თითქმის ყოველდღე ხდება, მაგრამ უკვე მოვეჩვიე. ეს კარგია თუ ცუდი არ ვიცი!

ENG: "Again it has been a long time since I wrote anything in this log, but my
Georgian studies are still going well.

Soon I will be in Georgia. My Georgian teacher is afraid of the radiation coming from
Fukushima and is therefore still in Georgia. I don't know when she intends to return
to Japan, but it will be good if we are in Georgia at the same time.

Japan, meanwhile, is calm and life is normal. New earthquakes occur almost every day,
but I am already used to them. I don't know whether this is a good thing or a bad
thing!"

And for a general update, all is well in Georgian world. Despite the above rant, I
still haven't abandoned the Gold List method. Instead I've just decided not to get
wound up about it. If I don't remember anything from a head list, I just leave it for
another two weeks, and if need be, another two weeks, and another, until the words
slowly start sticking.

I'm also ploughing on through Georgian Language and Culture. I was getting bogged down
in the dialogues so I went right back to the beginning and started again. Thanks to
this book, and something that seems to have clicked in my brain recently for no
apparent reason, I finally seem to be getting a hang of those damn verbs.

For example, here are three versions of the verb "to fill":
აავსებს (aavsebs)
აივსებს (aivsebs)
აივსება (aivseba)

The first uses the neutral version vowel "a" (the second "a") meaning "in no particular
direction", while the "s" at the end tells me the verb belongs to Group I, and is
therefore highly likely to be transitive. Hence, we can deduce that this means "to
fill something up".

The second has "i" as the version vowel, which means "toward oneself", and also belongs
to Group I. Therefore this means "to fill one's something up".

The third has "a" at the end and therefore belongs to Group II. It is therefore highly
likely to be intransitive and/or passive. Hence, this verb means "to be filled up".

Here's a slightly different example using the verb "to explain":
აუხსნის (aukhsnis)
ახსნის (akhsnis)

The difference between the two is the inclusion of "u" in the first. As everyone knows
(ok, maybe not everyone), "u" indicates the presence of an indirect object, so
we can see that the first means "to explain something to someone", while the
second, having neither version vowel nor indirect object marker, simply means "to
explain something".

Because all this stuff was only ever vaguely in my head all verbs were completely
opaque to me, which is why I could never remember them from my word lists. Now,
however, they are becoming much more transparent, so hopefully I will remember them
more easily. Unfortunate that it took me a year and a half to have this breakthrough,
but better late than never...

Edited by TixhiiDon on 23 April 2011 at 5:55am

Murdoc
Triglot
Georgia
Joined 5014 days ago

113 posts - 208 votes 

Message 231 of 431
24 April 2011 at 6:09pm | IP Logged 
Quote:
ისევ დიდხანს არაფერი არ დამიწერია

კვლავ დიდი ხანია არაფერი არ დამიწერია (difference between "ისევ" and "კვლავ" is somewhat like "again" and "once again")

Quote:
სცავლა

სწავლა

Quote:
მასცავლებელს

მასწავლებელს

Quote:
რადიაცია ეშინია

რადიაციის ეშინია

Quote:
არ ვიცი როგის იგი აფირებს დაბრუნება იაპონიაში

არ ვიცი როდის აპირებს იგი იაპონიაში დაბრუნებას

Quote:
კარგი იქნება თუ ერთდროულად საქართველოში ვიქნებით.

კარგი იქნება თუ საქართველოში ერთდროულად ვიქნებით

Quote:
იაპონია კი წყნარია და ცხოვრება ნორმალურია.

იაპონიაში კი სიწყნარეა და ცხოვრება ნორმალურად მიდის.

Happy easter everyone!

ქრისტე აღსდგა!

Haukilahti
Triglot
Groupie
Finland
Joined 4724 days ago

94 posts - 126 votes 
Speaks: Finnish*, English, Polish

Message 232 of 431
24 April 2011 at 6:23pm | IP Logged 
I am not following your log - Georgian is not for me - but I stumbled upon your username in "Active Topics" and I'm curious, why did you choose it. It's not such a popular book anymore nor TV serial.

This discussion contains 431 messages over 54 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version