United States
Joined 5076 days ago

20 posts - 24 votes
Speaks: English*, Japanese
Studies: Georgian

Message 281 of 431
22 December 2011 at 3:21am | IP Logged 
Orandajin,
I'm also studying Georgian and will be in Tbilisi this summer. Could you send me the name and contact
information for that Georgian teacher? Thanks.
1 person has voted this message useful

TixhiiDon
Tetraglot
Japan
Joined 5246 days ago

772 posts - 1474 votes 
Speaks: English*, Japanese, German, Russian

Message 282 of 431
27 December 2011 at 11:53am | IP Logged 
The other day, as I occasionally do, I input "Georgian" into the search bar of Amazon
to see what came up, and I discovered that George Hewitt's infamous textbook is
available in a Kindle version. I promptly bought it (pretending I hadn't noticed the
65 dollar price tag) and downloaded it onto my iPad, so now I am working through it,
exercises and all, right from the beginning.

Hewitt takes quite a different approach to learning Georgian to Aronson and Kiziria,
and because of that I have been able to clear up some questions that had been bothering
me for ages about really straightforward grammar points. For example, YES some verbs
use the future form for the present tense, YES some verbs that are clear in meaning in
the future and past tenses due to the addition of the preverb simply remain ambiguous
in the present and imperfect where the preverb is not used, and YES some verbs with ი
as the version vowel are inherently subjective, whereas others, such as აღვიძებს and
იღვიძებს (to wake someone up and to wake up) form a perfect neutral/subjective version
pair.

It's true that his writing is almost impenetrably dense, filled with grammatical terms
that would baffle a beginner or an inexperienced language learner, and his dialogues
are completely ridiculous without even an attempt at authenticity, but I can just about
handle the grammatical terminology, and as long as I take the dialogues with a large
pinch of salt, I think I can get a lot out of this book.

მოცემულობა, my new ქართველიშვილი novel, is coming along very nicely. Today on the
train going to work I was able to plough through around 20 pages or so understanding
probably about 95% of the text. It was very satisfying indeed, as I'm sure you, my
fellow language geeks, can imagine.

I bought two DVDs in Tbilisi (and at 25 dollars each, I have a feeling I was nicely
ripped off for them), გასეირნება ყარაბაღში 2, following the further adventures of our
intrepid Georgian youths into disputed Azerbaijani-Armenian territory, and გაღმა
ნაპირი, which is about a child refugee from the civil war in Abkhazia and (yay!) has
English subtitles. Haven't got round to watching them yet, but my reviews will be
coming soon.

hrhenry
Octoglot
United States
languagehopper.blogs
Joined 4912 days ago

1871 posts - 3642 votes 
Speaks: English*, SpanishC2, ItalianC2, Norwegian, Catalan, Galician, Turkish, Portuguese
Studies: Polish, Indonesian, Ojibwe

Message 283 of 431
27 December 2011 at 6:28pm | IP Logged 
TixhiiDon wrote:
The other day, as I occasionally do, I input "Georgian" into the search bar of Amazon
to see what came up, and I discovered that George Hewitt's infamous textbook is
available in a Kindle version. I promptly bought it (pretending I hadn't noticed the
65 dollar price tag) and downloaded it onto my iPad, so now I am working through it,
exercises and all, right from the beginning.

I also bought the book to use on my tablet (Android/Kindle) in preparation for my challenge this year.

Despite its bad reviews on Amazon, I'll probably use it more as a reference throughout the year, rather than true study material. Elsewhere I've read that it's actually a very good reference tool.

R.
==

Edited by hrhenry on 27 December 2011 at 6:29pm

shawns
Diglot
United States
Joined 5076 days ago

20 posts - 24 votes
Speaks: English*, Japanese

Message 284 of 431
27 December 2011 at 7:43pm | IP Logged 
I got the kindle version of Hewitt's book awhile back. In the version I got, the glossaries were all included as
images that were too small and became pixelated and unreadable upon enlarging. A text with no dictionary
for the Georgian terms isn't useful, so I emailed them requesting that it be fixed and got a refund. Did they fix
the problem for your copy?

Murdoc
Triglot
Georgia
Joined 5036 days ago

113 posts - 208 votes 
Speaks: Georgian*, English, Russian

Message 285 of 431
27 December 2011 at 9:41pm | IP Logged 
TixhiiDon,

Hi there, I haven't posted here for a while, but I've been following your updates and I really enjoyed reading about your trip to Georgia. Your determination for learning the language and your interest in Georgian culture is impressive and much appreciated.

P.S. First part of "Gaseirneba Karabaghshi" is a lot better in my opinion than the second one. I recommend watching it online on youtube before watching the second one, unless you've already watched it of course. By the way the first part is based on the novel by Aka Morchiladze, whose stories you seem to have bought.

zecchino1991
United States
facebook.com/amyybur
Joined 5040 days ago

778 posts - 885 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Italian, Modern Hebrew, Russian, Arabic (Written), Romanian, Icelandic, Georgian

Message 286 of 431
28 December 2011 at 10:20pm | IP Logged 
Since I am planning to go to Georgia sometime, I decided to make my own Georgian log. I
was reading the first page of this one, and I found that I am starting off in a very
similar situation to you. I have also been studying for about a month, and I also am
using Beginner's Georgian, Byki and Aronson. That really motivates me because after
about two years you are able to read literature in Georgian, and I would love to be
able to do that. If you want to follow my log, here it is: http://how-to-learn-any-
language.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=30554&PN=1&TPN=1

By the way, I love the idea of talking to yourself in Georgian. Although, I don't yet
know how to say "It's cloudy today." But "dzalian kargi," I do know. ;) Also, I was
meaning to ask, how do you make the Georgian script work on these forums? When I try
it, it just comes up as a bunch of random characters.

Edit: nevermind, it works. It just looks like that in the preview. ძალიან კარგი!

Edited by zecchino1991 on 28 December 2011 at 10:25pm

TixhiiDon
Tetraglot
Japan
Joined 5246 days ago

772 posts - 1474 votes 
Speaks: English*, Japanese, German, Russian

Message 287 of 431
29 December 2011 at 12:43pm | IP Logged 
Wow, we seem to have enough people for an exclusively Georgian Team TAC. But I guess
hrhenry's teammates would be a little peeved if I tried to poach him, so I guess I'll
just continue as a lone wolf for now.

Shawns, my copy of the Hewitt textbook seems to be OK. I guess they've fixed the
problem. Another invaluable resource for you guys, by the way, is Donald Rayfield's
huge Georgian-English dictionary. It's not cheap by any standards, but it's a
beautiful book and there isn't a better dictionary out there. It also lists all verbs
in their present and future forms, rather than with the masdar, so it's really
fantastic for learners. Might be worth treating yourselves.

Zecchino1991, I've just seen your log - your first entry is just like mine! I hope you
fall in love with Georgia and the Georgian language as much as I have. წარმატებებს
გისურვებ!

And Murdoc, გამარჯობა! როგორ ხარ? დიდი მადლობა ფოსტისთვის. კი, დეკემბერში
ისევ თბილისში ვიყავი და ამჯერადაც ძალიან კარგი დრო გავატარე იქ. უკვე ვფიქრობ
იმაზე თუ როდის მექნება შესაძლებლობა კიდევ წავიდე საქართველოში. შობას და ახალ
წელს სად იქნება? საქართველოში მიდიხარ თუ ინგლისში დარჩები? როგორ მიდის საქმე
ინგლისში? ბეჯითად მეცადინეობ? თუ დრო გექნება მომწერე შენი საქმის შესახებ.

სხვათა შორის, უკვე მინახავს გასეირნება ყარაბაღში-ის პირეველი ნაწილი YouTubeში და
ძალიან მომეწონა. ვიყიდე DVDები ერთ პატარა მაღაზიაში რუსთაველიზე. როგორ
ფიქრობ? ერთი DVD - 25 ლარი ძალიან ძვირია?

Edited by TixhiiDon on 29 December 2011 at 2:57pm

Murdoc
Triglot
Georgia
Joined 5036 days ago

113 posts - 208 votes 
Speaks: Georgian*, English, Russian

Message 288 of 431
03 January 2012 at 4:22am | IP Logged 
TixhiiDon,
გაგიმარჯოს! გილოცავ შობა–ახალ წელს, ბედნიერი წელი ყოფილიყოს :)
მე კარგად ვარ მადლობა, ლონდონში ვიყავი ახალი წლის შესახვედრად და დღეს დავბრუნდი უკან. სხვა ისეთი არაფერი, გამოცდებისთვის ვემზადები და მერე ორი კვირით თბილისში წავალ.

DVD-ს რაც შეეხება, 25 ლარი მართლა ძვირია. თბილისში სამწუხაროდ დისკების ყიდვა პრობლემაა, ან ძაან ძვირია ან ხარისხია დაბალი. ზოგადად მოთხოვნაც ნაკლებია იმიტომ რომ ინტერნეტ პირატობა ნაკლებადაა შეზღუდული.

This discussion contains 431 messages over 54 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version