Japan
Joined 5251 days ago

772 posts - 1474 votes 
Speaks: English*, Japanese, German, Russian
Studies: Georgian

Message 305 of 431
09 February 2012 at 2:57pm | IP Logged 
Time for a general update.

All is well in Georgian world here in Japan. I'm plodding on with my two lessons a
week and a bit extra here and there at home. If the bit extra at home would somehow
miraculously turn into one or two hours a day of proper, systematic study with no
effort from myself, I would be delighted, but since that is beyond the realms of
possibility, I have no choice but to be happy with my rather scrappy, haphazard,
irregular study habits.

On the literature front, I polished off Kartvelishvili's slender new tome in no time,
and was determined to challenge myself with something a little more difficult, but once
again I found that nothing even slightly compares to Kartvelishvili in terms of
easiness. I finally settled on a big thick novel called კარიკატურისტი (The
Caricaturist) by a bloke called ლაშა ბუღაძე, and have managed to get through the
first 20 pages relatively painlessly. At the moment I'm reading without a dictionary
on the train, and then going back and looking everything up at home. This seems to be
the best way to catch the meaning while still enjoying the book, so hopefully I can
keep it up for at least a few more chapters.

I pulled out my Gold List book the other day for the first time in ages and did a few
distillations. Funny how I was so obsessed with this method for quite a while back
there in 2010/2011. I had of course remembered absolutely nothing from the lists I'd
made several months ago, but still I find it a good way to gather together all my new
vocabulary and have a few goes at letting at least some of it sink in.

I've been on a bit of an online shopping spree, and having been swindled out of some
hard-earned cash on two or three separate occasions by dodgy online retailers, I'm a
bit concerned... I've just this second placed a big order with Parnassus, one of the
main bookstore chains in Georgia, for a big pile of Georgian literature to add to my
already considerably large pile of (mostly unread) Georgian literature. Having visited
several branches, I know for a fact that Parnassus is not in the least a dodgy
bookstore, but I'm hoping it will be able to handle an order from a Brit living in
Tokyo who doesn't understand much Georgian...

Also, to satisfy a little wanderlust, I ordered an audiobook of Solzhenitsyn's Cancer
Ward, in Russian of course, to hopefully do a little L-R with on perhaps my favourite
novel in the world ever bar none. The website I ordered from is another unknown
quantity, so it's just a case of crossing my fingers until the goods arrive, or not...

And some exciting news unrelated to my Georgian study: my friend's dog is having pups
in a few days and one of them is coming to live with me. Of course I want Georgian
names for the new addition to my family, so at the moment I'm thinking ლუკა for a dog
and ტინა for a bitch. Medea, my Georgian teacher, thinks it's hilarious and a bit
weird to give normal Georgian human names to a dog, so I guess there isn't such a
custom in Georgia, but hey, who's going to know that in Tokyo?

Edited by TixhiiDon on 09 February 2012 at 3:00pm

1 person has voted this message useful

Teango
Triglot
Winner TAC 2010 & 2012
United States
teango.wordpress.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5343 days ago

2210 posts - 3734 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Russian
Studies: Hawaiian, French, Toki Pona

Message 306 of 431
09 February 2012 at 5:10pm | IP Logged 
As you've probably realised by now, I always gain wonderful vicarious pleasure from following your journey through the Georgian language whilst living in Japan, TixhiiDon! What level would you say you're at now? I'm also a huge fan of Solzhenitsyn but am saving "Cancer Ward" until I can read it in the original (I look forward to hearing how you get on with it).

Edited by Teango on 09 February 2012 at 5:10pm

TixhiiDon
Tetraglot
Japan
Joined 5251 days ago

772 posts - 1474 votes 

Message 307 of 431
09 February 2012 at 11:17pm | IP Logged 
Ta for the message Teango. I was eagerly following your journey through Russia on the
Siberian Express, until you got fed up and disembarked somewhere around the Urals! I
have often considered doing the actual physical train ride from Moscow to Vladivostok
or Beijing, but something in the back of my mind tells me that far from being a
romantic, contemplative experience, I would just be bored out of my skull and desperate
for Wi-Fi to catch up on the crap Reality TV that is my guilty pleasure.

As for my Georgian, I suppose I'm at a solid B1, comfortably beyond A2 but quite far
from B2. Having just reacquainted myself with the CEFR levels on Wikipedia, I would
say that B2 is a distant dream. They could do with a couple more levels, I reckon.
A1.5, B33 and a third...

I'm looking forward to getting cracking with Раковый Корпус, as I really
do adore that novel. Last time I attempted L-R, though, I only ever managed about 20
minutes before falling asleep, and it wasn't that the material was boring, I just find
something incredibly soporific about the whole process. So you might be waiting a
while for my impressions.

Edited by TixhiiDon on 10 February 2012 at 1:45am

TixhiiDon
Tetraglot
Japan
Joined 5251 days ago

772 posts - 1474 votes 

Message 308 of 431
10 February 2012 at 2:37pm | IP Logged 
I've just discovered that a Georgian writer ლაშა ბუღაძე, who also happens to be the
writer of the novel I have just started reading, won a BBC World Drama prize at the end
of last year for a radio play called The Navigator. Part of the prize was to have the
play performed on BBC Radio, in English.

This all happened around New Year, and two months later it appears there is no longer
any possibility of hearing this play. It can't be listened to on the BBC website,
there are no plans to re-broadcast it, it's not on iTunes or YouTube, and there are no
plans, as far as I can tell, to record it on CD. So that's that. How incredibly
annoying! Bloody BBC.

On the other hand, I got a nice email in Georgian from the nice people at Parnassus
telling me that they expect to have all the books I ordered in stock by Monday, after
which they will send them to me as soon as possible.

Georgia 1 UK 0

TixhiiDon
Tetraglot
Japan
Joined 5251 days ago

772 posts - 1474 votes 

Message 309 of 431
12 March 2012 at 6:50am | IP Logged 
To my great relief, the books from Georgia finally arrived. I was beginning to lose my
faith in Parnassus, but after one or two politely prodding emails I finally got
confirmation that my purchases had been sent, followed by the books themselves today.
Nicest of all was that, together with the books I had ordered, there was a collection
of humorous short stories by Nodar Dumbadze which I had not ordered, with a business
card inside saying "A Present from Parnassus" (საჩუქრად პარნასისაგან, in case you're
wondering). A lovely personal touch which you're never gonna get from Amazon and its
ilk.

The reasons I haven't updated in such a long time are (1) I was waiting for the books
to arrive so I would have something at least vaguely interesting to write about, and
(2) I haven't really been doing a great deal of Georgian.

I'm getting pretty fed up with my two lessons a week, truth be told. The conversation
exchange with Medea is really nice, but as I mentioned before, it tends to drag on for
3 or 4 hours, after a 9 hour workday, followed by a train and a bus back home. The
Wednesday group class, meanwhile, has become just like the Saturday class used to be,
i.e. slow as molasses and filled with silence. How the other students have been able
to go at this pace for 5 years while still convincing themselves they are actually
learning Georgian, I do not know. But I risk sounding condescending now so I will
stop.

Anyway, this is all going to be moot in just a couple of weeks, as my life is about to
be turned completely upside down, first by the arrival of my mum, who is coming to
Japan for 2 weeks to visit at the beginning of April, and then by the arrival of our
new puppy, who is coming to live with us in the middle of April. After much
discussion, we ended up deciding to call her Juno, which has nothing to do with Georgia
whatsoever, so I'm a bit disappointed, but life is full of such compromises (not least
the need to choose a name with no l's, no r's, no v's, no si's, and no final consonants
so that Japanese people can actually pronounce it).

So the plan is to take a few weeks to settle little Juno into her new home, during
which time I will be taking a sabbatical from the group class and either rearranging or
taking a break from the conversation exchange. Even if my Georgian suffers as a
result, I will be too glad of the break to care.

And besides, I now have enough Georgian books to start up a little Georgian mobile
library, so I will never be short of reading practice.

Edited by TixhiiDon on 12 March 2012 at 6:54am

zecchino1991
United States
facebook.com/amyybur
Joined 5045 days ago

778 posts - 885 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Italian, Modern Hebrew, Russian, Arabic (Written), Romanian, Icelandic, Georgian

Message 310 of 431
12 March 2012 at 6:55am | IP Logged 
Sounds great! Someday I want to have that many Georgian books. If everything goes well, I will have a grand
total of 2 very soon! ;) Not in time for the 6wc unfortunately, but that's ok.

TixhiiDon
Tetraglot
Japan
Joined 5251 days ago

772 posts - 1474 votes 

Message 311 of 431
12 March 2012 at 7:01am | IP Logged 
zecchino1991 wrote:
If everything goes well, I will have a grand
total of 2 very soon! ;)

Ooh, now I'm curious! Did you order something from FromRussia.com?

zecchino1991
United States
facebook.com/amyybur
Joined 5045 days ago

778 posts - 885 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Italian, Modern Hebrew, Russian, Arabic (Written), Romanian, Icelandic, Georgian

Message 312 of 431
12 March 2012 at 7:21am | IP Logged 
Yeah! I got a voicemail from them last week but it was in Russian so I didn't understand that much. All I knew
was that it sounded bad. Then the next day they called again but I couldn't answer it. So I was planning to
call/email them the next day, but then I got an email saying my order was shipped. So hopefully everything
will be fine! I feel like I should still email them anyway and ask them what on earth that voicemail said. Or
maybe I'll just ask someone in my Russian class. ;)

This discussion contains 431 messages over 54 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version