Triglot
Georgia
Joined 5036 days ago

113 posts - 208 votes 
Speaks: Georgian*, English, Russian

Message 393 of 431
11 November 2012 at 4:13pm | IP Logged 
Quote:
რა განსხვავებაა, მაგალითად, "წაკითხული მაქვს"-სა და "წამიკითხავს"-ს შორის?

არაფერი. უბრალოდ პირველი ფორმა უფრო ხშირად გამოიყენება.

Quote:
იცით ქართული
ტელესერიალი "ცხელი ძაღლი". წეღან You Tube-ში ვიპოვე და ვაპირებდი ყურებას,
მაგრამ თქვენი აზრით საინტერესო სერიალია?

ბავშვობაში ვუყურებდი და მომწონდა, მაგრამ დიდი ხანი გავიდა მას შემდეგ, კარგად აღარ მახსოვს. მგონი ცუდი არაა.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Expugnator
Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 4948 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, Norwegian, French, English, Italian, Papiamento
Studies: Mandarin, Georgian, Russian

Message 394 of 431
11 November 2012 at 10:18pm | IP Logged 
Tixhiidon, any chances I can buy any e-book from lit.ge , have my credit card accepted
and manage to open the file at either my PC desktop with Windows or my iPad?

Learning Georgian is just getting more fun with all the possibilities! I do have a couple
of e-books on the classics (both the Georgian classics and the Western classics
translated). I have much more for Georgian than for Norwegian, for instance.
1 person has voted this message useful

TixhiiDon
Tetraglot
Japan
Joined 5246 days ago

772 posts - 1474 votes 
Speaks: English*, Japanese, German, Russian
Studies: Georgian

Message 395 of 431
11 November 2012 at 10:46pm | IP Logged 
Expugnator wrote:
Tixhiidon, any chances I can buy any e-book from lit.ge , have my
credit card accepted and manage to open the file at either my PC desktop with Windows
or my iPad?

According to the website you can read the e-books on Windows and Android, but you need
to download a special app called იოტა რიდერი to read what you've bought, so I guess
(although I'm far from being a technical genius) that means you need either a
smartphone or a tablet PC on which you can download apps. It seems the app is not
available for Apple devices, so I don't think it will work on your iPad.

They accept credit cards. On the site it says "Georgian Credit Cards", but surely any
credit card would be OK?? You have to put a certain amount of lari into your account in
advance and pay little by little from that, which is not as good as paying book by
book, and there's always the risk they can run away with your deposit and live a life
of criminal luxury in Monaco, but I'm willing to take the chance.

I think I'm definitely going to buy the Nexus 10. It may seem a bit crazy to buy a new
tablet PC just to read Georgian literature, but there are so many books on lit.ge that
I want to buy and read (you can even buy journals and magazines on there) that it seems
too good an opportunity to pass up.

Edited by TixhiiDon on 11 November 2012 at 10:52pm

TixhiiDon
Tetraglot
Japan
Joined 5246 days ago

772 posts - 1474 votes 

Message 396 of 431
21 November 2012 at 11:32am | IP Logged 
So in the end I bought a Nexus 7 as it seems like the Nexus 10 is going to be sold out
here in gadget-mad Japan for months, and I didn't want to wait any longer.

My shiny new device arrived today, and in the last hour or so I have managed to set it
up, download the იოტა რიდერი app, set up an account with lit.ge, put 20 lari into my
account, and buy and download a book by დათო ტურაშვილი called იყო და არა იყო რა,
which means "Once Upon a Time". I am pleased not only with my technical skills, but
since lit.ge is all in Georgian, with my Georgian reading skills too.

So now I have the perfect excuse to go crazy with my credit card in lit.ge. Since most
books on there are around 4 or 5 lari, I think I can avoid debtors' prison for the time
being.

Meanwhile, after complaining to Medea about Contemporary Georgian Fiction and how I
wish it had been me on the cover, she suggested, quite logically, that I translate a
novel and bring parts of it for us to check and discuss together every Friday. So I
pulled out იყო საღამო იყო დილა, figuring it was not too long, not too difficult, and
that I had already read most of it, and started translating.

My enthusiasm lasted about 4 days, not because it was terribly difficult, but
because I translate every day for my job, and I realized that translating more, even
literature, even Georgian literature, is not how I want to spend my downtime. So that
project was shelved pretty quickly.

I've been watching a TV series called ჩემი ცოლის დაქალები on YouTube. It's pretty
good - a bit soapy and, well, it has to be said, a bit girly - but easy to understand
and there's a channel on YouTube with every episode in HD quality.

So I'm covering all bases nicely except writing at the moment. I'll write something in
Georgian on here next time.

Edited by TixhiiDon on 21 November 2012 at 11:33am

Expugnator
Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 4948 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 

Message 397 of 431
21 November 2012 at 9:10pm | IP Logged 
Tixhiidon and others, have you ever had a look or read positive reviews on Basic Georgian, by Tamar Makharoblidze? (NOT the one by Nana Danelia). I was wondering if it was worth buying it. It's 86 US$, shipping from Germany.

- The book consists of 28 lessons, that's more than twice than Kiziria's, more than Aronson's and Hewitt's and hopefully it's more conversational.

- Even so, I wonder if it will still have enough useful content for me at this stage. If it doesn't cover the perfect or the participles (I'm repeating this all the time lol) on a living context, it's useless.

Here's a review: Basic Georgian

Good luck with the Nexus 7. I've checked the site and there is indeed an app for Windows, so, I don't think I'll need yet another reader. I'll let you know if I allow my card to fly over the mountains of Mtsxeta. They have only e-books, right? They have one book from a Brazilian writer, Paulo Coelho. Maybe there's more from other writers, and of course there are many from English-speaking writers as well.

TixhiiDon
Tetraglot
Japan
Joined 5246 days ago

772 posts - 1474 votes 

Message 398 of 431
22 November 2012 at 2:11pm | IP Logged 
Hi Expug, I've heard vaguely of Basic Georgian by Tamar Makharoblidze, but I've never
actually seen it or read any reviews.

I think the problem for us Georgian learners is that a lot of the study materials we have
to choose from are quite low in quality. My advice to you, for what it's worth, would be
to go back to Aronson or Lehrbuch der Georgischen Sprache and go through the entire book
again. I've been through Aronson 4 or 5 times now and it is more beneficial even fifth
time round than many of the other textbooks I've bought.

Expugnator
Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 4948 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 

Message 399 of 431
23 November 2012 at 3:27pm | IP Logged 
I've just got my copy of Contemporary Georgian Fiction, in no time! I ordered it this month, day 10, and I chose the slowest shipping method. Now I have to find the Georgian equivalents of the translations. Have you tried it so far, Tixhiidon?

TixhiiDon
Tetraglot
Japan
Joined 5246 days ago

772 posts - 1474 votes 

Message 400 of 431
24 November 2012 at 3:31am | IP Logged 
Expugnator wrote:
I've just got my copy of Contemporary Georgian Fiction, in no time! I ordered it this
month, day 10, and I chose the slowest shipping method. Now I have to find the Georgian equivalents of the
translations. Have you tried it so far, Tixhiidon?

I haven't looked for any of the originals yet, but I see from your log that you've managed to find a couple,
including the one by Lasha Bughadze. I really like this writer. His language is quite simple, and he's very
funny and irreverent. I think it's a great place to start your bilingual reading. Much better than all those
terrible long excerpts from nineteenth century poetry and novels in ACC!

The story by Kartvelishvili in Contemporary Georgian Fiction is also really good. I've only read that and
Bughadze's so far, so if you find any stories you particularly like please let me know.

This discussion contains 431 messages over 54 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version