Language Learning Forum : Language Learning Log Post Reply
431 messages over 54 pages: << Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 51 ... 53 54 Next >>
zecchino1991
United States
facebook.com/amyybur
Joined 5039 days ago

778 posts - 885 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Italian, Modern Hebrew, Russian, Arabic (Written), Romanian, Icelandic, Georgian

Message 401 of 431
24 November 2012 at 9:03pm | IP Logged 
I just want to say I got Contemporary Georgian Fiction, too. Less than 2 dollars! Good
deal. :)

Thank you Expugnator for finding some of the originals! I'll try to find some myself once
I get it.
1 person has voted this message useful

TixhiiDon
Tetraglot
Japan
Joined 5245 days ago

772 posts - 1474 votes 
Speaks: English*, Japanese, German, Russian
Studies: Georgian

Message 402 of 431
26 December 2012 at 2:12am | IP Logged 
(I started writing this in the Language Learning Goals for 2013 thread, but then decided I'd rather have it in Small Expectations.)

I have a few specific goals for my Georgian in 2013.

First and foremost, I intend to visit Georgia again in 2013, since I wasn't able to go this year. I'm thinking about early summer at the moment, but I might delay the trip to September or October so I'm there for the თბილისობა festival. I am definitely going to visit Mtskheta this time, and maybe also Akhaltsikhe, or Davit Gareja. Although to be honest, just wandering around Tbilisi and trying out my Georgian with shopkeepers and waiters makes me more than happy.

Secondly, I want to progress with my reading. I am finally on the cusp of finishing კარიკატურისტი! I have about 5 pages left and if I'm diligent I may even get it finished over lunch and my train ride home today. Next I intend to read, and perhaps even translate with an eye on possible publication (over-ambitious, moi?) either Turashvili's memoirs იყო და არა იყო რა or Bughadze's novel ოქროს ხანა. I also want to finally get a handle on some of Aka Morchiladze's work, which has so far gone way over my head in terms of difficulty.

The sad news for 2013 is that my weekly conversation meetings with Medea are finally about to come to an end. She is having a baby in February and moving back to Tbilisi with her husband a few months after that, so I have only a few more occasions to meet with her and stutter and stumble over a few Georgian sentences. Actually, my spoken Georgian has been getting better and better recently - I sometimes even surprise myself with what I manage to come out with - so this is a real pity.

It was Medea's idea to translate a novel together and work on it over Skype and email, so I'll be keeping in touch with her, but I guess I need to find a new conversation partner. I may pay for lessons with a professional teacher over Skype, or I may ask Medea to introduce me to another Georgian in Tokyo (she knows them all, I think!) who is willing to give up an hour or two a week to talk to me.

That leaves writing, which is not so much of a priority for me, although of course useful practice. I'll probably write a few sentences on here now and again.

And no doubt at some point in 2013 I'll get frustrated with my grammar and return to Aronson.

Other languages keep whispering sweet nothings in my ear, tempting me to start learning them - Albanian, Romanian, Mongolian, Thai... I have so far resisted and intend to keep resisting next year since I'd much rather be fantastic at Georgian alone than averagely good at Georgian and not very good at another language, but who knows? I may succumb to temptation.

For now, all the best to my fellow language-learners and readers of my blog for 2013!

Edited by TixhiiDon on 26 December 2012 at 3:25am

zecchino1991
United States
facebook.com/amyybur
Joined 5039 days ago

778 posts - 885 votes 
Studies: Italian, Modern Hebrew, Russian, Arabic (Written), Romanian, Icelandic, Georgian

Message 403 of 431
26 December 2012 at 5:20am | IP Logged 
I'm glad to hear your Georgian is still going strong! It's too bad your lessons with Medea are going to stop, but
hopefully you'll get to meet more Georgians there! I think you could potentially get to know all of them too,
haha!

Good luck!

TixhiiDon
Tetraglot
Japan
Joined 5245 days ago

772 posts - 1474 votes 

Message 404 of 431
26 December 2012 at 6:47am | IP Logged 
Thanks zecchino1991! Looking forward to reading about your further Georgian exploits next year too.

Expugnator
Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 4947 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, Norwegian, French, English, Italian, Papiamento
Studies: Mandarin, Georgian, Russian

Message 405 of 431
26 December 2012 at 1:35pm | IP Logged 
I wish you all the best luck with your translation project, Tixhiidon! Pity hat your
classes will be over, but I'm pretty sure you will overcome this. I have to set my goals
for 2013, considering that I'm on a TAC. I've not been much motivated about updating my
progress or trying to write in Georgian, but I'm still studying a bit each day, even
though it seems I'm not progressing that much. I want to finish 2013 being able to read
in Georgian without resorting to a translation all the time.

TixhiiDon
Tetraglot
Japan
Joined 5245 days ago

772 posts - 1474 votes 

Message 406 of 431
09 March 2013 at 8:30am | IP Logged 
I had to search far and wide to retrieve my language learning log, and I was horrified
to discover that this is my first entry of 2013. მე რა ზარმაცი ვარ!

Anyway, I am still alive and still studying Georgian. Sadly my lessons with Medea have
come to an end now that she is busy being a new mother, so I'm wondering how to fill
that gap. I may pay a professional teacher in Georgia for a lesson a week over skype,
but I'm wondering just how awkward and difficult it would be to do a good, satisfying
lesson in that format.

Still reading plenty. This is my main activity now. The two new Georgian e-book
websites, lit.ge and saba.ge, provide more material than I could ever get through, and
they are reliable and have great iPad apps.

The main reason I actually logged on just now is that there is a new Georgian language
resource online, which can be found here http://www.ice.ge/web/elearning_geo.html

100 short lessons with dialogues, vocab lists, grammar explanations, exercises... What
more could a chap want?

... Except it's for Azeri and Armenian native speakers living in Georgia for them to
learn the language and integrate more closely into Georgian life. So everything is
translated only into Azeri and Armenian.

Still, I think it might actually be of some use since the Georgian explanations are not
terribly difficult to understand anyway. And I'm really in need of some more
systematic study to supplement my reading.

Oh, and one more thing. I'm going back to Georgia for a week in May. I'm determined
to get out of Tbilisi a bit more this time. Mtskheta for sure, and maybe a daytrip to
Davit Gareja. My third time in Sakartvelo! And all thanks to HTLAL. Aww...
2 persons have voted this message useful

iguanamon
Pentaglot
Virgin Islands
Speaks: Ladino
Joined 5043 days ago

2237 posts - 6731 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Portuguese, Haitian Creole, Creole (French)

Message 407 of 431
09 March 2013 at 2:08pm | IP Logged 
TD, good to see "small expectations" back. Yes, you should definitely try skype lessons with a teacher in Georgia. I've used them for Portuguese and they were very effective. The format can be a bit awkward in the beginning but you'll quickly get over that. I highly recommend that you give it a try. Even once a week sessions would be useful, twice a week, better. Looking forward to reading about how your next trip to Georgia goes. Good luck!

zecchino1991
United States
facebook.com/amyybur
Joined 5039 days ago

778 posts - 885 votes 

Message 408 of 431
09 March 2013 at 6:16pm | IP Logged 
Thank you for that resource! It looks great. Glad to see you back, and I can't wait to
read about your trip!

This discussion contains 431 messages over 54 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version