Language Learning Forum : Language Learning Log Post Reply
431 messages over 54 pages: << Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 53 54 Next >>
zecchino1991
United States
facebook.com/amyybur
Joined 5044 days ago

778 posts - 885 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Italian, Modern Hebrew, Russian, Arabic (Written), Romanian, Icelandic, Georgian

Message 417 of 431
22 March 2013 at 5:07am | IP Logged 
TixhiiDon wrote:
zecchino1991 wrote:
Hey, this is not about Georgian at all, but I
just now realized
what your name means, TixhiiDon. Don't know why it never clicked before!

Ha! I don't know why I chose it, to be honest. I've read the book and watched the old
TV series, and I enjoyed them both, but they're not my favourites or anything. I guess
I
just wanted something Russian and something literary but also something that sounds
vaguely like a nickname for an Internet forum.

How did you figure it out? Are you reading the book?

Nope, I just said it out loud and a little light bulb turned on in my head haha. I
always pronounced it that way in my head, but somehow I didn't realize it was Russian
until I said it aloud.
1 person has voted this message useful

zecchino1991
United States
facebook.com/amyybur
Joined 5044 days ago

778 posts - 885 votes 
Studies: Italian, Modern Hebrew, Russian, Arabic (Written), Romanian, Icelandic, Georgian

Message 418 of 431
05 April 2013 at 5:49am | IP Logged 
Gamarjoba, TixhiiDon!

I was thinking, I really want to get a Georgian novel. I know I can get e-books, but I
really want to have an actual book. Do you happen to know where I could get one?

TixhiiDon
Tetraglot
Japan
Joined 5250 days ago

772 posts - 1474 votes 
Speaks: English*, Japanese, German, Russian
Studies: Georgian

Message 419 of 431
05 April 2013 at 9:40am | IP Logged 
Hi Zecchino, thanks for the message. There are a few novels at FromRussia.com, which I
think you've used before right? You could also have a look on the website of
Prospero's Books, which is a foreign language bookshop in Tbilisi that also sells some
Georgian works, although they charged me a fortune in postage the only time I used
them.

I also managed to buy a few books from the website of Parnassus, which is a chain of
bookstores in Georgia. The website is here: http://www.parnasi.ge/ It means you have
to do everything in Georgian but I managed it somehow, and they even sent me a kind
email saying how pleased they were I was studying Georgian and sent me a free book with
my order and a little note saying "With Regards". I can't remember how much I paid in
postage, but I think it wasn't too terrible. The problem with buying things from
Georgia is that the Georgian postal system is still a bit of a mess, so to be safe they
send everything by DHL or the like, which is expensive.

Alternatively, book a flight to Tbilisi and go browsing!! Definitely the most fun way
to do it, although the most expensive too of course...

As for authors, maybe you have some in mind, but I found David Kartvelishvili to be by
far the easiest to start with. Lasha Bughadze is cool and not too difficult, and of
course the biggie is Aka Morchiladze, although his books are more difficult for me.
3 persons have voted this message useful

zecchino1991
United States
facebook.com/amyybur
Joined 5044 days ago

778 posts - 885 votes 

Message 420 of 431
05 April 2013 at 6:06pm | IP Logged 
Thank you for all the info!

TixhiiDon wrote:
Alternatively, book a flight to Tbilisi and go browsing!! Definitely
the most fun way
to do it, although the most expensive too of course...

I am doing that, but not until next year and I just can't wait that long!

TixhiiDon wrote:

Lasha Bughadze is cool and not too difficult

Yeah, I've read one of his stories. It was really cool. Actually, I am still in the
process of reading it in Georgian. So far I have only read the whole thing in English.

Expugnator
Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 4952 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, Norwegian, French, English, Italian, Papiamento
Studies: Mandarin, Georgian, Russian

Message 421 of 431
05 April 2013 at 6:35pm | IP Logged 
I had a chance of going to Georgia next year, but I'm not sure yet now, maybe only in 2015. How lucky you are, zecchino!

I'm about to finish Le Petit Prince and it helped so little. I'm far from being able to read a book in Georgian. Still, I wouldn't read the book in English, it seems like spoiling =D

zecchino1991
United States
facebook.com/amyybur
Joined 5044 days ago

778 posts - 885 votes 

Message 422 of 431
05 April 2013 at 6:55pm | IP Logged 
Yeah, I'm sure I'm nowhere near ready to read a novel in Georgian either. But I just
have this fantasy of sitting in the cafe of the bookstore and reading a book in
Georgian! I don't know why, it just seems so...cultured, haha. I do have one already,
but it's a little kids' book and it's ginormous, so it just wouldn't feel the same. And
yes, I am going on a trip next year with my mother. I've been saving up for it for a
while. We are mostly going to Russia, but I just can't miss the chance to go to
Georgia while I'm over there! I'm gonna need to bring a lot of extra luggage to bring
back all those Georgian books. ;)

By the way, TixhiiDon, I've been reading through previous pages of your log, and it's
so fascinating! You've had quite an adventure with Georgian. (I'm currently on the part
where you switched to the harder class and quit smoking). I'm so jealous that you
managed to find Georgian classes. I've tried to look for some but I just couldn't find
anything. But I guess if you found some in Tokyo, I should be able to find one in Los
Angeles, of all places!

By the way, this made me laugh:
TixhiiDon wrote:

Also, as if the season is not filled with enough miracles, I finished ჯინსების თაობა
last night. I have now read a novel in Georgian. I think I shall have it engraved on
my gravestone: "He was average in most respects but he did read a novel in Georgian".

I feel the exact same way. Or at least I will after I read a novel in Georgian. :)

Edited by zecchino1991 on 05 April 2013 at 6:57pm

Expugnator
Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 4952 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, Norwegian, French, English, Italian, Papiamento
Studies: Mandarin, Georgian, Russian

Message 423 of 431
05 April 2013 at 8:43pm | IP Logged 
I have to do the same with Tixhiidon's log (and with mine as well, which I have already started): browsing back, collecting suggestions, re-reading the discussions.

I don't think I have any chances of finding Georgian classes here in Brazil, maybe only in São Paulo, but I'm seriously considering using that site Tixhiidon recommended (which I already forgot?). I think it's worth waiting for you to give it a try first, Tixhiidon, to see if it is safe =D

If you count The Little Prince it would be my first novel, but it doesn't really count, because I'm not actually decyphering the Georgian on it all the time. Indeed, it will take a lot of time. Georgian has this aggravating circumstance that you can't simply look up a verb on a dictionary. I'd have to learn how to check Tschenkéli's dictionary by root but I also need to improve my vocabulary so I don't need to look up every other word which is what I'd do now. And I want to buy a paperback book in Georgian indeed, I think FromRussia.com would be a good try in a few months.

TixhiiDon
Tetraglot
Japan
Joined 5250 days ago

772 posts - 1474 votes 
Speaks: English*, Japanese, German, Russian
Studies: Georgian

Message 424 of 431
05 April 2013 at 11:14pm | IP Logged 
Thanks for the replies მეგობრებო. Haha, Zecchino1991, I know exactly what you mean
about sitting reading a book in Georgian. The first time I went to Tbilisi I bought a
pile of books from a bookstore in the old town, and as I was walking back to the hotel
it started raining really hard. So I ducked into another hotel on the way, sat at the
lounge bar, ordered a beer, and started looking through my purchases. No-one gave me a
second glance, but I felt quite pleased with myself :)

Expug, sorry you didn't feel you got much out of the Little Prince. I would really
recommend something by David Kartvelishvili. He has a particular style of writing with
short sentences and lots of repetition, which makes him really easy to read. For a
long time I would read his works with very little trouble but couldn't even begin to
tackle other writers. The short story collection 6 სიზმარი and the novels იყო
საღამო იყო დილა and ახალი წიგნი are all pretty good.

As for Lasha Bughadze, I just finished a short novel called ბოლო ზარი, which is a
really funny and interesting story about a group of graduating high-school students. I
guess it's like Georgian 90210 (but much better of course!) Another short novel called
ოქროს ხანა also looks good, although I've only read the first couple of chapters.
It's about a rather stupid small-time gangster who has to leave Tbilisi because of the
mess he's found himself in there, so he goes to stay with a Georgian gay couple living
in a small seaside town in the north of England. Cue hilarity.

I'm getting a bit evangelical about modern Georgian literature. There's so much good
stuff out there, and if I was just a bit more motivated and disciplined I would make a
serious attempt at translating some of it because I think it's a real pity these
writers are remaining unknown outside of Georgia.

Edited by TixhiiDon on 06 April 2013 at 12:25am

This discussion contains 431 messages over 54 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version