Language Learning Forum : Language Learning Log Post Reply
431 messages over 54 pages: 1 2 3 4 57 ... 6 ... 53 54 Next >>
ellasevia
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2011
Germany
Joined 5924 days ago

2150 posts - 3229 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Croatian, Greek, French, Spanish, Russian, Swedish, Portuguese, Turkish, Italian
Studies: Catalan, Persian, Mandarin, Japanese, Romanian, Ukrainian

Message 41 of 431
14 February 2010 at 6:16am | IP Logged 
TixhiiDon wrote:
Thanks very much for your encouragement ellasevia. To be honest though I'm not really progressing all that quickly - I'm just pushing the limits of my minimal knowledge as far as they will go in my conversations with Marich27.

Well, you seem to be progressing quickly--take it as a compliment! :)

TixhiiDon wrote:
It has always seemed to me that foreign languages can be categorized as those which start easy and get progressively harder, and those that are difficult at first and become easier and easier. I think French falls into the former category and Russian into the latter, for example.

Georgian also seems to belong to the former category. Basic present tense sentences are not difficult to form at all, and the alphabet is very easy to learn. There are seven cases, but nouns, pronouns, and adjectives don't change anywhere near as drastically as in Russian and Polish. However, I've read ahead in some of my textbooks and it seems I have huge difficulties ahead of me with past tenses, modal verbs, verbal nouns, and participles.

I would agree with this statement about the categorization of languages, but some simply do not fit the pattern. An example is Greek, which starts off fairly challenging and does not get much easier... I am pleased to hear, though, that Russian, a language I intend to study soon, would be classified in the latter group.

Even if it is not too difficult at first, from what I've read about Georgian it sounds very challenging, so I am very impressed nonetheless! Great work so far, and I'm sure you will find success.
1 person has voted this message useful

TixhiiDon
Tetraglot
Japan
Joined 5246 days ago

772 posts - 1474 votes 
Speaks: English*, Japanese, German, Russian
Studies: Georgian

Message 42 of 431
14 February 2010 at 7:23am | IP Logged 
სხვათა შორის Marich, გუშინ ახალ ამბებს ვუყურებდი ტელევიზორში და ნოდარ კუმარიტაშვილის სიკვდილზე ლაპარაკობდნენ. ვფიკრობ რომ ეს მართლა ტრაგიკული ამბავია. Sorry for the loss of your countryman.

marich27
Triglot
Groupie
Netherlands
Joined 5199 days ago

41 posts - 42 votes
Speaks: Georgian*, EnglishC2, Dutch

Message 43 of 431
16 February 2010 at 7:41pm | IP Logged 
bodiSi rom aqamde ver mogwere. kviras Rame Camovedi da bevri saqme mqonda. madloba
TanagrznobisaTvis. marTla Zalian cudi ambavia.

qarTuli samzareulo Cemi azriTac Zalian gemrielia. me mwvadi ar miyvars. Cemi sakvareli
kerZia xinkali :) samwuxarod, me xSirad ver vaxerxeb qarTuli saWmlis momzadebas.

momwere Senze ra STabeWdilebas moaxdens qarTuli restorani (impressions about the Georgian
restaurant)

droebiT !

TixhiiDon
Tetraglot
Japan
Joined 5246 days ago

772 posts - 1474 votes 

Message 44 of 431
19 February 2010 at 11:34am | IP Logged 
გამარჯობა Marich! რაშია საქმე ჰოლანდიაში? დაკავებული ხარ?

მე ყოველდღე ძალიან დაკავებული ვარ იმიტომ რომ მომავალ კვირას გადავდივარ ახალ ბინაში. ახალი ბინა ახლანდელ ბინაზე დიდია, ამიტომ ბედნიერი ვარ, მაგრამ მზადება ძალიან დამღლელია.

ქარტულ რესტორანში მომავალ თვის მივდივარ. ხინკალი რესტორანის მენიუშია, ამიტომ უდავოდ შევჭამ.

Edited by TixhiiDon on 19 February 2010 at 11:36am

TixhiiDon
Tetraglot
Japan
Joined 5246 days ago

772 posts - 1474 votes 

Message 45 of 431
20 February 2010 at 10:44am | IP Logged 
Georgian class today - missed half of it as I was stuck in traffic but mostly it was just practicing ordinal and cardinal numbers, which I'm OK with so I didn't miss too much.

I have been a little lacking in motivation since my 'flu, but last night I was suddenly struck by the bug (the language learning bug, not the 'flu bug) again and spent the whole night studying with the Aronson book.

After writing my last message above to Marich27, which explains that I have been busy recently as I am moving to a new apartment next week, I was thinking that I could really have written it in a more sophisticated manner.

So I have a question for you Marich whenever you have time to reply. If I want to say "I am busy because I am preparing to move" in Georgian, is this OK?

დაკავებული ვარ იმიტომ რომ გადასვლასათვის ვმზადები.

Or am I completely wrong...?

I don't really understand how to use the masdar (verbal noun) and I wish I did as it would be really useful for producing longer, more detailed sentences.

marich27
Triglot
Groupie
Netherlands
Joined 5199 days ago

41 posts - 42 votes

Message 46 of 431
22 February 2010 at 11:07am | IP Logged 
bodiSi amden xans rom ver mogwere. dakavebuli vikavi. xinkali namdvilad unda gasinjo Cemi
azriT :)

გადასვლასათვის isn't correct. you should say either "gadasasvlelad" or "gadasvlisTvis".
the rest of the sentence is absolutely correct.

Verbal noun is not as often used in Georgian as, let's say English. I am not sure about
the exact rules of usage but it is most commonly used as a noun. you can write down some
sentences here and let's see how it works, if you wish.

SabaTs amsterdamSi vikavi. aqamde nanaxi ar mqonda qalaqi da Zalian momewona. Zalian
cocxali da aqtiuri qalaqia.

unityandoutside
Diglot
Groupie
United States
Joined 5796 days ago

94 posts - 149 votes 
Speaks: English*, Russian
Studies: Latin, Mandarin

Message 47 of 431
22 February 2010 at 10:31pm | IP Logged 
TixhiiDon wrote:
unityandoutside, let me know what you think about Aronson when it falls onto your doormat with a big thud! And if you do make a start on the language, please feel free to join in with me and Marich27.

I have the Aronson book now, and you're right, it is fairly technical. But that's perfect for me, I like the technical explanations and such. I know that sort of vocabulary so it makes everything very clear for me. But I don't know how good it'll be for practical communication and such. I have a few more practical Russian resources on my computer, but the file quality is really low and they're very hard to read sometimes. But we'll see I suppose.

I don't know how soon I'll be joining in with you and Marich. Keeping up with Russian and chugging along in mandarin is a pretty good amount of work. I think it'll be a weekends kind of thing ;). Hopefully sometime though. Maybe in 2011 we can have a Russian/Georgian/Asian language TAC team :D

marich27
Triglot
Groupie
Netherlands
Joined 5199 days ago

41 posts - 42 votes

Message 48 of 431
22 February 2010 at 10:41pm | IP Logged 
TixhiiDon, momwons Seni SemoTavazeba 2011 wels "we can have a Russian/Georgian/Asian
language TAC team" :D :D

ise, segiZlia mari damiZaxo. "ch" Cemi gvaris pirveli asoa, romelic qarTulad "W"-a,
rogorc magaliTad "xaWapuri" (by the way, this is also worth tasting in the restaurant!)

This discussion contains 431 messages over 54 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 57 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version