Triglot
New Zealand
Joined 6109 days ago

851 posts - 1074 votes 
2 sounds
Speaks: English*, German, French

Message 1 of 5
20 January 2010 at 2:39am | IP Logged 
This is one of the few little things in German that I for some reason still haven't got the hang of, deciding whether to use sich entschließen, sich entscheiden or beschließen in a particular context. Would someone mind explaining the usages of these in depth? I feel rather silly still not knowing this!
1 person has voted this message useful

Reisender
Triglot
Italy
Joined 5244 days ago

30 posts - 44 votes
Speaks: German*, English, Italian
Studies: Spanish, Latin, Ancient Greek, French

Message 2 of 5
20 January 2010 at 12:19pm | IP Logged 
ChristopherB wrote:
This is one of the few little things in German that I for some reason still haven't got the hang of, deciding whether to use sich entschließen, sich entscheiden or beschließen in a particular context. Would someone mind explaining the usages of these in depth? I feel rather silly still not knowing this!

My 2 Deutschmarks:

Beschließen has kind of an "official" touch to it. Beschließen would be something a board or a committee would do.
Entschließen relates more to a personal decision. À la "I'm setting my mind up to do something".
Entscheiden has to do with a decisive choice. You choose one option over another and stick with it.
5 persons have voted this message useful

Tropi
Diglot
Groupie
Austria
Joined 5224 days ago

67 posts - 87 votes 
Speaks: German*, English
Studies: Mandarin

Message 3 of 5
20 January 2010 at 12:25pm | IP Logged 
Well first of all, don't feel silly, the differences are really minor ones.

"entscheiden" is more or less used when to choose between opportunities. So if you have to choose between apples and oranges you can say: "Ich entscheide mich für die Äpfel." In this case you won't use "entschließen/beschließen".

"beschließen/entschließen": Even more minor differences. I can't tell you a real difference here, I would just decide in the context it is used. In most cases you can't substitute one with the other but you can get express the same thing with a different structure, for example:
"Ich entschließe mich dazu mehr Sprachen zu lernen."
"Ich beschließe mehr Sprachen zu lernen."
4 persons have voted this message useful

lerner
Groupie
Germany
Joined 5611 days ago

51 posts - 79 votes 
Speaks: Hindi*
Studies: EnglishC2, GermanC1, Spanish, Dutch

Message 4 of 5
20 January 2010 at 1:00pm | IP Logged 
As some learning German I'll have to agree that the plethora of suffixes sometimes
really messes with the brain.

I've a book(Mastering German Vocabulary-Bruce Donaldson)that says the following:

"to decide
beschließen, (sich) entscheiden, sich entschließen

Personal decisions and deciding between alternatives are most commonly expressed by
sich entscheiden, e.g. A: Was willst du machen? B: Ich kann mich nicht entscheiden (,
ob…) ‘A: What do you want to do? B: I can’t decide (whether…)’. Entscheiden, without
the reflexive pronoun, is used when organisations or bodies ‘decide’ s.t., not
individuals, e.g. Ende November muss der Bundestag entscheiden ‘The federal parliament
must decide at the end of November’, Die Kubaner können selber entscheiden, was sie
wollen ‘The Cubans can decide (for) themselves what they want’. But whether you use
sich with entscheiden or not can depend on syntax. If followed by a dass/was clause,
omit sich, e.g. Wir haben entschieden, dass wir miteinander ein neues Segelboot bauen
‘We have decided that we will build a new yacht together’, Er kann selbst entscheiden,
was er möchte ‘He can decide himself what he would like’; compare Wir haben uns
entschieden, ein neues Segelboot zu bauen ‘We have decided to build a new yacht’.

Sich entschließen strictly speaking mean ‘resolution/to resolve (to do s.t.)/to make up
one’s mind’ and although more or less synonymous with sich entscheiden, are more
forceful and entschließen is always reflexive, e.g. Ich habe mich zu diesem Schritt
entschlossen, weil… ‘I decided on this step because…’; (note the use of zu where sich
entscheiden requires für), Ich habe mich dazu entschlossen, den Vertrag zu verlängern
‘I decided to extend the contract’ (=I was determined to), Die Regierung des Landes hat
sich nicht freiwillig zu der Öffnung in Richtung Marktwirtschaft entschlossen ‘The
country’s government did not voluntarily decide on heading towards a market economy’.

Beschließen are used chiefly for official decisions or decrees, e.g. Die Regierung hat
ein neues Polizeigesetz beschlossen ‘The government has decided on (=passed) a new
police law’. This verb is not necessarily only used for official decisions; where it is
otherwise used, it simply states the decision made whereas sich entscheiden and sich
entschließen imply a process of deliberation about the alternatives has preceded the
decision, e.g. Er wusste, dass er arbeitslos bleiben könnte und beschloss daher, sich
umschulen zulassen ‘He knew he could remain unemployed and decided to have himself
retrained’

" <end>

Hope this helps a bit

Edited by lerner on 20 January 2010 at 7:58pm

5 persons have voted this message useful

ChristopherB
Triglot
New Zealand
Joined 6109 days ago

851 posts - 1074 votes 
2 sounds
Speaks: English*, German, French

Message 5 of 5
22 January 2010 at 11:02am | IP Logged 
Thanks kindly for the responses, guys. That clears everything up.

1 person has voted this message useful

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version