Heptaglot
Norway
Joined 5309 days ago

141 posts - 307 votes 
Speaks: Lowland Scots, English*, Norwegian, Esperanto, Swedish, Danish, French
Studies: Polish, Sanskrit, Tibetan, Pali, Mandarin

Message 1 of 6
20 January 2010 at 5:45pm | IP Logged 
Does anyone else use this book? I've bought a few different resources for learning Polish, but I think this one is probably my favourite. I think the dialogues are really good, especially as there's no English introductions on the audio - just the Polish dialogues. I also like the way the vocabulary is built up systematically, with a glossary for each chapter.

The title's perhaps a bit ambitious, unless you're planning to study Polish full-time for 4 weeks...
1 person has voted this message useful

Chung
Diglot
Joined 6936 days ago

4228 posts - 8259 votes 
20 sounds
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Polish, Slovak, Uzbek, Turkish, Korean, Finnish

Message 2 of 6
20 January 2010 at 6:00pm | IP Logged 
Is this "Polish in 4 Weeks" for beginners or intermediate students? I recall browsing in two versions when visiting bookstores in Poland recently.

I've never used Polish in 4 Weeks as it seemed too skimpy (on the exercises that is) for my needs but I did get a nice impression from some of the entertaining dialogues used.

I'm curious about which other resources you've bought for Polish.

davidwelsh
Heptaglot
Norway
Joined 5309 days ago

141 posts - 307 votes 

Message 3 of 6
20 January 2010 at 11:15pm | IP Logged 
I have both the beginner and intermediate books, but I'm still working my way through the first one so I haven't looked at the second all that thoroughly. They're pretty similar though.

I think Polish in 4 Weeks is heavier on the vocabulary rather than the grammar compared to other courses, which suits my approach quite well.

I mainly use Polish in 4 Weeks, and use BYKI to learn the vocabulary for each chapter fairly thoroughly before moving on. I did some Polish classes at Prolog in Kraków last summer, using Po Polsku 1, and I've continued working with that since. I find that Polish in 4 Weeks is really good for vocabulary and listening practice, and Po Polsku 1 is great for grammar. I've also used TY Polish a bit, which didn't appeal to me as much, and I've done some of the Michel Thomas course, which I quite like.

I also have a Polish girlfriend, who's a pretty good resource:)

Chung
Diglot
Joined 6936 days ago

4228 posts - 8259 votes 
20 sounds
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Polish, Slovak, Uzbek, Turkish, Korean, Finnish

Message 4 of 6
20 January 2010 at 11:26pm | IP Logged 
That's interesting. I've been going at Polish for some time now, primarily using the courses by Oscar Swan and some textbooks from Universitas. Lately I have been expanding my vocabulary lately just by reading various bits in Polish from Mikolajek and children's stories to short stories by Prus.

For sure having a dziewczyna helps. :-)

stelingo
Hexaglot
United Kingdom
Joined 5612 days ago

722 posts - 1076 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Portuguese, French, German, Italian
Studies: Russian, Czech, Polish, Greek, Mandarin

Message 5 of 6
21 January 2010 at 12:03am | IP Logged 
I've also used Polish in 4 weeks and have enjoyed working through it. I didn't realise there was also an intermediate version. I shall have to get hold of it. I also studied at Prolog and would recommend the school. The textbooks they use (Hurra) are quite nice but not ideal for self study.

davidwelsh
Heptaglot
Norway
Joined 5309 days ago

141 posts - 307 votes 

Message 6 of 6
21 January 2010 at 11:53am | IP Logged 
stelingo wrote:
I also studied at Prolog and would recommend the school. The textbooks they use (Hurra) are quite nice but not ideal for self study.

Yeah, Prolog's really good:) I agree that the Hurra/Po Polsku books aren't ideal for self study, but I think their explanations of grammar are really good, and there are lots of exercises - especially if you get the workbook as well as the textbook.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version